CD with SP4, what to do when SP5 comes out?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi,

I built two servers using the same bootable CD with integrated SP4 and
some custom drivers.

If I want to "add a component" such as SNMP, I get prompted for the "SP4
CD" (which is fine), but I was thinking what am I going to do with SP5
comes out? Even if I apply SP5 to the servers it will still prompt for
the "SP4 CD" when it wants something.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    After you apply SP5 Windows 2000 should get those files from misc cab's and
    from %windir%\servicepackfiles directory.


    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect


    "Gerry Hickman" wrote:
    | Hi,
    |
    | I built two servers using the same bootable CD with integrated SP4 and
    | some custom drivers.
    |
    | If I want to "add a component" such as SNMP, I get prompted for the "SP4
    | CD" (which is fine), but I was thinking what am I going to do with SP5
    | comes out? Even if I apply SP5 to the servers it will still prompt for
    | the "SP4 CD" when it wants something.
    |
    | --
    | Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Gerry

    Dave's right, I believe.

    In any case, I'm in the same boat, so when the time comes we'll find out.

    Oli


    "Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:O$D5AGUYEHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I built two servers using the same bootable CD with integrated SP4 and
    > some custom drivers.
    >
    > If I want to "add a component" such as SNMP, I get prompted for the "SP4
    > CD" (which is fine), but I was thinking what am I going to do with SP5
    > comes out? Even if I apply SP5 to the servers it will still prompt for the
    > "SP4 CD" when it wants something.
    >
    > --
    > Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Dave Patrick wrote:

    > After you apply SP5 Windows 2000 should get those files from misc cab's and
    > from %windir%\servicepackfiles directory.

    Thanks Dave, Oli,

    I thought this is how it worked too, but when I went to add SNMP
    yesterday, it wanted the "Service Pack 4 CD". I remember something about
    a source path in the registry and wonder if this affects the behaviour
    in any way depending on whether the original install was from a CD-ROM
    or a network?

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I was getting the impression that you installed the OS initially with an
    integrated install CD-Rom. If this is the case then I believe it is expected
    behavior.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect


    "Gerry Hickman" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave, Oli,
    |
    | I thought this is how it worked too, but when I went to add SNMP
    | yesterday, it wanted the "Service Pack 4 CD". I remember something about
    | a source path in the registry and wonder if this affects the behaviour
    | in any way depending on whether the original install was from a CD-ROM
    | or a network?
    |
    | --
    | Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Dave Patrick wrote:
    > I was getting the impression that you installed the OS initially with an
    > integrated install CD-Rom. If this is the case then I believe it is expected
    > behavior.

    Yes, I decided to build the servers using a bootable integrated CD
    instead of the network.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Look for the Reg_Sz strings;
    "SourcePath"
    and
    "ServicePackSourcePath"

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

    (note that these paths are one level above the \i386 folder)

    After you apply SP5 a %systemroot%\servicepackfiles dir should be created
    and the Reg_Sz string "ServicePackSourcePath" should then point to the
    actual resolved path %systemroot%\servicepackfiles

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect


    "Gerry Hickman" wrote:
    | Yes, I decided to build the servers using a bootable integrated CD
    | instead of the network.
    |
    | --
    | Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks Dave,

    It sounds llke we have some good options here, and this has basically
    answered my original question.

    Dave Patrick wrote:

    > Look for the Reg_Sz strings;
    > "SourcePath"
    > and
    > "ServicePackSourcePath"
    >
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    >
    > (note that these paths are one level above the \i386 folder)
    >
    > After you apply SP5 a %systemroot%\servicepackfiles dir should be created
    > and the Reg_Sz string "ServicePackSourcePath" should then point to the
    > actual resolved path %systemroot%\servicepackfiles
    >


    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Ask a new question

Read More

Servers Microsoft CD-Rom Windows