E6600 p5b-D Supertalents cant get passed 3.42ghz HELP?

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Okay So I have a e6600 p5b deluxe mobo and supertalent 2x1 gb ram but for some odd reason I cannot get passed 380 x 9 = 3.42 @ 1.35 V = AI suite indicates 1.2960 V

Core Temp Indicates My comp at 29C at idle and I know for certain it does not go over 50C @ Load at this setting. I have done Orthos for many hours and I'm satisfied with couple of hours on orthos.

However As soon as i increase the FSB It requires a significant Amount of Vcore uppage and it still does not go past 15 seconds on orthos. I also ran Dual prime but same Deal. I actually had it run pass 2 hours @ 400 x 9 one time but when i ran the same test again it failed and now it wont pass 15 seconds and randomly it would pass at times.

So i thought it might be the strap So i have actually changed the multiplier to 8 and FSB to 450 and no luck Even did 515 x 7 and no luck. What the heck???

Right now I have tried every possible thing.

I left the timing at 4-4-3-8 2.2 for supertalents so it should do fine with 400 fsb so i know ran isnt the issue.

I have also tested a set of corsair 8000ul 2x512mb and it still fails

disabled vander pool and also tried enabled messed with everything from cpu Tm function to c1E support but no luck. What the heck??? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Try these settings.
FSB 400
Memory 800
PCIE 105
PCI 33.33
Mem volts 2.25 (board droops above 2 volts)
Vcore 1.4 no more than 1.5625 (p5b deluxe has a .050 volt droop)
FSB Termination 1.4
NB 1.55
SB 1.5
ICH auto

Leave the Ram timings at 4-4-3-8 and your multiplier at 9X
Watch your temps.
Load pc probe to monitor voltages and temps
Probe reads the thermal diode through the PECI
Use core temp if you wish but the thermal diode temp should not exceed 62C if it do’s then drop your Oc until you get your cooling under control.
Your motherboard temps shouldn’t exceed 45C
If your case air flow is good you should see around 35 to 40C under load

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Once you get your OC straightened out, I thought you might like to know that your temps are inaccurate:

Core Temp Indicates My comp at 29C at idle and I know for certain it does not go over 50C @ Load at this setting. I have done Orthos for many hours and I'm satisfied with couple of hours on orthos.

Core Temp at 29C idle is only possible if your ambient temp is 14c (57F), which is highly unlikely. For info regarding correct temps, links, testing and results, check out the following Sticky:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
29 is what core temp is telling me bro. And ai suite tells me 36c though.
I barely cranked up the speed for my silverstone fm 120. it drops about 1c ~2c more when i crank it up

Can someone please help me with my overclocking predicament. I have done everything including what the first guy told me to do way before. Still no luck

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
i dont think i have a problem regarding temperature. I just think I might have hit a wall. But only at 380x9. isnt that too soon? I mean i still have alot to go, temperature and volt wise.

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Try these settings.
FSB 400
Memory 800
PCIE 105
PCI 33.33
Mem volts 2.25 (board droops above 2 volts)
Vcore 1.4 no more than 1.5625 (p5b deluxe has a .050 volt droop)
FSB Termination 1.4
NB 1.55
SB 1.5
ICH auto

Leave the Ram timings at 4-4-3-8 and your multiplier at 9X
Watch your temps.
Load pc probe to monitor voltages and temps
Probe reads the thermal diode through the PECI
Use core temp if you wish but the thermal diode temp should not exceed 62C if it do’s then drop your Oc until you get your cooling under control.
Your motherboard temps shouldn’t exceed 45C
If your case air flow is good you should see around 35 to 40C under load

I have done this. it failed with orthos at 8 seconds and it rebooted my pc automatically. I tried 1.45 vcore and it failed less that 30 sec and i even tried 1.5vcore and it still failed.

am i too strict on my oc testing? I use orthos blend at 9 priority

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Try orthos priority 9 stress cpu- stress cpu with gromacs core to isolate your failure to either Ram or cpu frequency failure.
you could try running a fan over the northbridge (pull off that asus sticker)
make sure you have the latest bios and drivers.

do not load bios 1004 its for 1333 fsb support and isnt easy to roll back
for some its next to imposible.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Okay So I have a e6600 p5b deluxe mobo and supertalent 2x1 gb ram but for some odd reason I cannot get passed 380 x 9 = 3.42 @ 1.35 V = AI suite indicates 1.2960 V

However As soon as i increase the FSB It requires a significant Amount of Vcore uppage and it still does not go past 15 seconds on orthos. I also ran Dual prime but same Deal. I actually had it run pass 2 hours @ 400 x 9 one time but when i ran the same test again it failed and now it wont pass 15 seconds and randomly it would pass at times.

So i thought it might be the strap So i have actually changed the multiplier to 8 and FSB to 450 and no luck Even did 515 x 7 and no luck. What the heck???

I left the timing at 4-4-3-8 2.2 for supertalents so it should do fine with 400 fsb so i know ran isnt the issue.

disabled vander pool and also tried enabled messed with everything from cpu Tm function to c1E support but no luck. What the heck??? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!
3.42ghz is not that bad and the temps seem good. (Anything over 3.2 is still a very stout OC). If you care about speed, wait a few months for the yorkfield.
Follow the suggested advice (I don't see anything very wrong) and I won't worry much.

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006

3.42ghz is not that bad and the temps seem good. (Anything over 3.2 is still a very stout OC). If you care about speed, wait a few months for the yorkfield.
Follow the suggested advice (I don't see anything very wrong) and I won't worry much.

yeah its a decent oc but i thought i can atleast do 400fsb which will run perfect with the ram .

CompuTronix

Intel Master
akajoshx1, have you flashed the BIOS and uninstalled / reinstalled the latest chipset drivers, as kwalker suggested? Have you observed the Vcore and PSU +12 volt supplies for sags or negative spiking using SpeedFan's "Charts" while under load? The only other way to know for certain if it's the motherboard, CPU or PSU, is too swap them out.

On the other hand, I recall reading an article from a few months ago (perhaps Anand or Overclockers) regarding some 6600's, when OC'd on their bench, inexplicably had an inherent unresponsive clock / Vcore region, that could not be overcome, without increasing Vcore to absurd levels, to reach the next 100 Mhz, which you seem to have described.

They were confident that they proved this to be unrelated to motherboards, chipsets, or memory strapping, and belived that certain random batches exhibited this unusual behavior. I've been unable to locate this article for you, but since it seems you've explored most of your variables, it's possible that you have one of these Conroe's.

Sorry this isn't what you want to hear, but as enewmen said, "3.42ghz is not that bad". There's a very fine line between tenacity and futility, but I understand how frustrating this is. Some 6600's simply won't reach 3.6, so if you're stable at 3.42, with respect to the alternatives, it might be time to just call it a day, and enjoy your rig.

In any case, aside from swapping out expensive parts, unless you have the resouces at hand, the above suggestions may be worth a try, so let us know what you find.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
akajoshx1, have you flashed the BIOS and uninstalled / reinstalled the latest chipset drivers, as kwalker suggested? Have you observed the Vcore and PSU +12 volt supplies for sags or negative spiking using SpeedFan's "Charts" while under load? The only other way to know for certain if it's the motherboard, CPU or PSU, is too swap them out.

On the other hand, I recall reading an article from a few months ago (perhaps Anand or Overclockers) regarding some 6600's, when OC'd on their bench, inexplicably had an inherent unresponsive clock / Vcore region, that could not be overcome, without increasing Vcore to absurd levels, to reach the next 100 Mhz, which you seem to have described.

They were confident that they proved this to be unrelated to motherboards, chipsets, or memory strapping, and belived that certain random batches exhibited this unusual behavior. I've been unable to locate this article for you, but since it seems you've explored most of your variables, it's possible that you have one of these Conroe's.

Sorry this isn't what you want to hear, but as enewmen said, "3.42ghz is not that bad". There's a very fine line between tenacity and futility, but I understand how frustrating this is. Some 6600's simply won't reach 3.6, so if you're stable at 3.42, with respect to the alternatives, it might be time to just call it a day, and enjoy your rig.

In any case, aside from swapping out expensive parts, unless you have the resouces at hand, the above suggestions may be worth a try, so let us know what you find.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

I have the latest BIOS. Ill update the chipset and see what happens. I hope my E6600 are not the few that doesnt react to vcore increase... Anyways your answer did help alot. But im not going to give up until i know for sure what the problem is.

akajoshx1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

I used speed fan to observe my vcore.

I tried 390x9 and set vcore bios at 1.45

when i actually run it its 1.40 and then while orthos i see that it drops to 1.3680v and i think my computer restarts itself as the vcore drops negatively. is this a normal occurrence??? could it be the PSU?? i actually have a 700w xclio greatpower psu

Theres been times when i ran orthos for hour and thirty minutes with only 1.45 vcore and it was stable. but when i ran it again the next day it consistently failed in less that 20 seconds.