gbudsefm

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I assembled my PC today, first time builder here. But to my horror when I go to turn it on for the first time NO POST! I have checked and rechecked all cables etc, also tried resetting the CMOS... I can hear my HDD/DVD-ROM getting power but after that it just sits there.

Another thing, I don't know if it's related. But my power LED doesn't work and i can't turn the computer off via the button on the front.

My case has 2 little connectors with "- P LED , + P LED" written on them. I read the mobo manual and the best i could make out where they go is the pwr_led. But there is 3 connectors for that not 2, and when i put them there nothing happens.

I read somewhere that incorrectly connecting these can make the system not start....that's why im bringing this up.

Only other thing i can think of is dead mobo, and i sure hope it's not....I've already had to wait almost 4 months for a computer AFTER i bought it ( It's a long story...)

Anyone that has this board encountered this issue? I hope it's something stupid i'm overlooking and i don't have to RMA and wait another 2 weeks.

My case btw is an Apevia X-Dreamer II

Other specs if it makes any difference:

G.skill 2gb ddr800
Aerocool zerodba 500w
C2D e6400
Ati 1950XT

krtgiroto

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Hi, does the cpu cooler work? did you tried using just a video card (no hard drives, disquete, etc)??

Dont you have a case speakers connected? No one sound comes out?

(stupid question, but) Did you connected a 12V power connector?

In the manual the POWER SWITCH go on the pins 6(+) and 8(-). Connect just a power switch and the speakers, if you succeed, then you can connect the another's.

hope everything work, good look.

gbudsefm

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I don't see anything coming from my case that says speakers/audio/etc. I don't have any other audio device connected right now so no sounds at all....I thought the POST beeping came directly from the Mobo though.

Yep the cpu fan is working.

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Wrongly connecting the case leads is very common, and i'm yet to hear of anyone causing major damage but you need to disconnect them all and start again.

Also, dont be afraid to do a bit of DIY on that connector that is 3 pins wide. Case manufacturers are not to know which motherboard you're going to buy! Take a sharp knife and run it down the middle of the 3 pin connector, shave the excess off of the middle to leave you two tidy singular connectors. Label them. You can now fit them properly - I have done this with mine as I had the same problem.

Make sure you have the leads correct this time with polarity important - if you cant power on with the power button it's pointing pretty much to what I've mentioned above.

archae86

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
I don't see anything coming from my case that says speakers/audio/etc. I don't have any other audio device connected right now so no sounds at all....I thought the POST beeping came directly from the Mobo though.
My latest case (Antec Solo) did not have a case speaker either. Some motherboards do have a little piezo speaker on them these days, but historically this was the job of the case, which some of them met by supplying a tiny piezo speaker on two leads which did not affix to the case at all. I can't spot any built-in noise maker on the 965P-DS3.

I think I'll buy a cheapie add-on for my current build--not hearing beep codes during debug is a pain.

Perhaps this one:

99 cent case speaker