Change of Server

Hi,

We have an old Windows 2000 Active Directory server
(operations master) and we are planning to install a new
higher configuration server to replace the old one.
What is the best way to migrate the ADS?
Can I restore the system state backup taken from the old
one to the new server b'coz I tried doing this on a test
server and it crashed each time I restored the sytem state.

Thanks,
Reema.
1 answer Last reply
More about change server

    Hi there

    Active Directory is designed to be installed on more than one server in a
    domain to provide fault-tolerance. If you only have one DC at the moment,
    you should consider adding the new server and leaving the old one in place.

    Before you do this, you need to check your DNS is correctly configured
    across your whole network.

    Check that the following is true to make this go smoothly.

    1) DNS is installed on your existing domain controller
    2) Your existing DNS is active directory-integrated
    3) Your existing DC has itself as the only DNS server in its TCP/IP
    configuration
    4) Your workstations have only existing domain controller's IP address in
    their TCP/IP configuration
    5) Your DNS server uses a forwarder to provide DNS resolution of external
    addresses.
    6) You configure your workstations' TCP/IP using DHCP only

    If the above are all true, then that's fine. Otherwise, do some reading and
    thinking.

    The following will work for your small network.

    1) Perform a full backup
    2) And again
    3) Check your backups are good.
    4) Install the OS on your new server.
    5) Configure the new server's TCP/IP data to point DNS at the existing DC
    only.
    6) Add the Microsoft DNS server to your new DC. No need to do any
    configuration yet.
    7) Ensure your DNS domain name is correctly-recorded in the TCP/IP config on
    your new DC.
    8) Run dcpromo and add the new server as an extra server in the existing
    domain.
    9) When the wizard has finished and you've restarted, switch the DNS server
    to active directory integrated DNS.
    10) Using the nslookup tool, use the "server" command to switch to your new
    DNS server. Type the name of each DC to check that DNS information has
    replicated fully. It would not harm to do some additional testing at this
    point.
    11) Change the new DC to point to itself only for DNS in the TCP/IP config
    and reboot.
    12) Transfer the operations master roles as appropriate.
    13) Change DHCP to include both DNS servers. Depending on your plans, you
    may want to install DHCP on your new server and disable it on the old one.

    If you really do want to remove the old server and leave yourself with only
    one (not advisable), I'd be inclined to wait a few days before demoting it.
    You use dcpromo for the demotion task as well.

    Hope this helps

    Oli

    "Reema" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have an old Windows 2000 Active Directory server
    > (operations master) and we are planning to install a new
    > higher configuration server to replace the old one.
    > What is the best way to migrate the ADS?
    > Can I restore the system state backup taken from the old
    > one to the new server b'coz I tried doing this on a test
    > server and it crashed each time I restored the sytem state.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Reema.

Windows 2000 Servers Microsoft Active Directory Windows