Class 10 EDGE bluetooth; Low Latency; Bi-Directional Ampli..

Last response: in Network Providers
December 24, 2004 2:56:56 AM

1) I have a bluetooth enabled IBM X40 and i want to get the current
best bluetooth enabled Cingular cell phone that has the highest EDGE
class available (at least class 10). My previous phones have been the
Siemens S56 bluetooth non EDGE phone and the Nokia 6200 EDGE
non-bluetooth phone. From looking around the web, it seems the only
class 10 EDGE bluetooth phone is the Nokia 6230 that's availabe right
now.

2) Other bonuses that would be nice to have in the cell phone is a
camera and a memory card slot. For the memory card, i want one that is
either MMC or SD type since those seem to be the more accepted
standard. Both my IBM X40 and my ipaq 5555 pocket pc have built in SD
slots. Suppossedly, the SD slots can also take MMC cards, hence the
reason i want a phone that has either of these two memory standards. I
see SonyEricsson has a class 10 EDGE bluetooth phone coming out but i
don't like that the memory card is a non-MMC or non-SD. It is a Memory
Stick Duo which won't work in my laptop or pocket pc.

3) I would like to configure whatever settings i can on either my
laptop or cell phone to reduce the latency as much as possible since i
frequently use Remote Desktop Connection. In both vehicles, i have
laptops and i will frequently use RDC to connect back to my home
computer which has a fast cable connection of 4Mbs down and 384Mbs up,
so that i can browse the internet at "cable-like" speeds (assumming i
have turned off internet explorer graphics loading). I think the
current latency i would receive was around the 600ms range. Can i get
this down anymore to around the 200-450ms range?

4) Does anyone have any experience in using Wilson Electronics
BD800AM-M (in-vehicle Bi-directional amplifier found at
http://tinyurl.com/6q3o6 ) which suppossedly increases the signal
strength for GSM digital between 824 MHz to 894 MHz. 1900 MHz is
unaffected by this amplifier. This would be great as long as i'm in
Cingulars 850 MHz areas. I live in Indiana and travel between West
Lafayette and Indianapolis frequently so i guess i need to figure out
which bands are used there. I know my download and upload speed are
very dependent on my signal strength which is why i'm interested in
this bi-directional amplifier.

5) Mr Navas: i see you have done a lot of testing regarding speed
tests. How much of the time are you getting the 17 to 18 KBps download
speed with your class 10 EDGE card? I would love to achieve that speed
if i get the Nokia 6230 with it connected via bluetooth.

6) I am currently paying the $74.99/mo unlimited data plan with
Cingular. Only recently have i seen that people are able to connect
their laptops with the unlimited media net package for $20/mo. If i
were to try this option, what if anything would i lose?

--
rstarck
December 24, 2004 2:56:57 AM

Well now. I used used a S56 phone for over a year (and still have it as
a back up ). I was very pleased with it. It did a lot of things and at
the time was the most advanced phone out there. It had bluetooth, an
infrared port a nice web browser which remembered what you had entered.

However the buttons were starting to fall off and the cover for the
speaker got lost.....

Went down to Cingular and got a Motorola v551. New phone, new features,
edge, camera, it's got to be better. But I am not quite so sure.

On the plus side:
Better connections and more signal bars
More stable connections to the Web through my PDA and Laptop
Speakerphone mode sounds better
It's got a camera and you can send pictures to all of the Cingular
buddies who also have the Media Works Package ( wow! ) However, no
Media Works, no picture.

The Cons
Built in Web browser is not nearly as good. (It actually is quite
poor I have to do about 20 extra key clicks to get to same sites as on
the s56) Data entry requires tap mode of all data, nothing is
remembered for the next time you have to enter the same field. Drop
down data windows for selection don't really drop down, they are just
there. Some of the data entry fields are truncated and don't show all
of the entry.
Battery does not last as long and burns down quickly when connected
to the laptop via bluetooth. I have to put it on the charger after 3
- 4 hours or phone will be dead at the end of the day.
If you close the top, you have to start all over again.
Menus are not as well thought out as on the Siemens.
The Multi media stuff I don't use, I am not in to buying ring tones
and the stuff they try to sell you.

As for the web speed, the built in browser and the multi media web
sites seem a bit quicker. The other WAP sites are about the same as the
s56. They are however poorly rendered which I find hard to believe
since I have an older Nextel Motolola i90 which handles these sites
very well and is very fast (it just does not receive a signal indoors
if you are not next to a window).

I have yet to see much of an improvement in the speed through my PDA or
Laptop. The sites I used, as a benchmark, Yahoo.com. It takes about 17
sec to load the web page. Some times a bit longer , some times a few
seconds less. I do not believe I am yet getting much of a benefit for
EDGE. (Southern Jersey and north Delaware)

I think the problem is that I wished Siemens had simply added EDGE to
the s56 and it would be great thing.
The v551 is however a solid phone and works well despite my issues.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 6:59:28 AM

In <rstarck.1hqrhm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> on Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:56:56 GMT,
rstarck <rstarck.1hqrhm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:

>3) I would like to configure whatever settings i can on either my
>laptop or cell phone to reduce the latency as much as possible since i
>frequently use Remote Desktop Connection. ... I think the
>current latency i would receive was around the 600ms range. Can i get
>this down anymore to around the 200-450ms range?

In a word, no.

>5) Mr Navas: i see you have done a lot of testing regarding speed
>tests. How much of the time are you getting the 17 to 18 KBps download
>speed with your class 10 EDGE card? ...

Most of the time in strong signal areas here in Northern California. In good
signal areas I mostly get 2/3 of that.

>6) I am currently paying the $74.99/mo unlimited data plan with
>Cingular. Only recently have i seen that people are able to connect
>their laptops with the unlimited media net package for $20/mo. If i
>were to try this option, what if anything would i lose?

Data acceleration, and some things don't work (e.g., FTP over SSL).

December 24, 2004 7:04:33 AM

In <1103851844.032113.319310@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 23 Dec 2004
17:30:44 -0800, "jeff" <jupiter36@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The [V551] Cons
>Built in Web browser is not nearly as good. ...

WebViewer <http://www.reqwireless.com/webviewer.html&gt; is a Mobile Java (J2ME)
application that allows many Java-enabled cell phones to access full Internet
Web (not WAP) pages by doing a remarkably good job of scaling them down to the
small screen. (It doesn't support all Web features and the phone memory does
impose a page size limit.)

WebViewer can be seen most easily in the Online Demo at
<http://www.reqwireless.com/demo-webviewer.html&gt;.

There's a downloadable free 10-day demo. I was able to download it directly
to a Cingular-branded Motorola V551 (using the built-in WAP browser) from the
URL <http://reqwireless.com/wap&gt;. WebViewer got installed as a game, and
worked quite well.

>Battery does not last as long and burns down quickly when connected
>to the laptop via bluetooth. I have to put it on the charger after 3
>- 4 hours or phone will be dead at the end of the day.

Yep -- power management is a weakness.

>As for the web speed, the built in browser and the multi media web
>sites seem a bit quicker. The other WAP sites are about the same as the
>s56. They are however poorly rendered which I find hard to believe
>since I have an older Nextel Motolola i90 which handles these sites
>very well and is very fast (it just does not receive a signal indoors
>if you are not next to a window).
>
>I have yet to see much of an improvement in the speed through my PDA or
>Laptop. The sites I used, as a benchmark, Yahoo.com. It takes about 17
>sec to load the web page. Some times a bit longer , some times a few
>seconds less. I do not believe I am yet getting much of a benefit for
>EDGE. (Southern Jersey and north Delaware)

EDGE is 2x-3x faster than GPRS here in Northern California.

January 2, 2005 10:16:20 PM

[...]

January 3, 2005 4:30:16 AM

On 01/02/2005 19:16 PM, jeff wrote:

> Went down to Cingular and got a Motorola v551. New phone, new features,
> edge, camera, it's got to be better. But I am not quite so sure.
>
> It's got a camera and you can send pictures to all of the Cingular
> buddies who also have the Media Works Package ( wow! ) However, no
> Media Works, no picture.

All it takes is MMS to get a picture on a phone. You can also send
pictures to Internet email addresses through the MMS->email gateway or
as an attachment to an email message.

> The Cons
> Built in Web browser is not nearly as good. (It actually is quite
> poor I have to do about 20 extra key clicks to get to same sites as on
> the s56) Data entry requires tap mode of all data, nothing is
> remembered for the next time you have to enter the same field. Drop
> down data windows for selection don't really drop down, they are just
> there. Some of the data entry fields are truncated and don't show all
> of the entry.

WebViewer is a full-blown HTTP browser that works well on the V551.

> Battery does not last as long and burns down quickly when connected
> to the laptop via bluetooth. I have to put it on the charger after 3
> - 4 hours or phone will be dead at the end of the day.
> If you close the top, you have to start all over again.

True.

> As for the web speed, the built in browser and the multi media web
> sites seem a bit quicker. The other WAP sites are about the same as the
> s56. ...

> I have yet to see much of an improvement in the speed through my PDA or
> Laptop. The sites I used, as a benchmark, Yahoo.com. It takes about 17
> sec to load the web page. Some times a bit longer , some times a few
> seconds less. I do not believe I am yet getting much of a benefit for
> EDGE. (Southern Jersey and north Delaware)

Perhaps you're in a non-EDGE or bad signal area -- EDGE is a lot faster
than GPRS.

--
Best regards,
John Navas