Move Win2k server to Different Hardware

I am in the process of upgrading/replacing our server
hardware(a new machine). I want to move the Win2k server
installation to a completely different hardware. It is
the only DC in our network. What is the best way to do
this.
5 answers Last reply
More about move win2k server hardware

    khmmc wrote:

    > I am in the process of upgrading/replacing our server
    > hardware(a new machine). I want to move the Win2k server
    > installation to a completely different hardware. It is
    > the only DC in our network. What is the best way to do
    > this.

    As far as I know, the standard answer to this is that you put a clean
    install of Win2k on the new server and then restore you data.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Gerry Hickman wrote:

    > As far as I know, the standard answer to this is that you put a clean
    > install of Win2k on the new server and then restore you data.

    I am looking to do this myself for my network as well. What data is it
    that you restore? I currently run AD, RIS, DNS, and Wins on this server.
    I can take care of transitioning RIS, DNS and Wins already. That
    shouldn't be too hard. I just don't know exactly how to transfer over
    the Active Directory stuff and make sure that all of the right roles are
    set, etc..

    Hi Jeremy,

    When I say "restore the data", I'm assuming a file server or database
    server. If it's just a DC then that's different.

    In this situation, I believe what you have to do is first install the
    new server o/s then configure it as a domain controller (AD and all
    that), then add service packs, patches etc, then you "replicate" the
    Active Directory from the old server. Once full replication has occurred
    you can (in theory) turn off the old domain controller.

    I should stress, however, that I've never actually done this.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You would think there would be a technet article on doing
    something like this. There has got to be a lot of users
    in the same boat as we're in.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi,

    There's dozens of articles on the MS site about Active Directory and
    migration. However, sometimes they skip over the really basic stuff.
    There's also the resource kit documentation which most people doing this
    kind of thing will have a copy of. However, again it's not always as
    useful as it should be.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Hardware Microsoft Servers Windows