Move Win2k server to Different Hardware

I am in the process of upgrading/replacing our server
hardware(a new machine). I want to move the Win2k server
installation to a completely different hardware. It is
the only DC in our network. What is the best way to do
this.

khmmc wrote:

> I am in the process of upgrading/replacing our server
> hardware(a new machine). I want to move the Win2k server
> installation to a completely different hardware. It is
> the only DC in our network. What is the best way to do
> this.

As far as I know, the standard answer to this is that you put a clean
install of Win2k on the new server and then restore you data.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Gerry Hickman wrote:

> As far as I know, the standard answer to this is that you put a clean
> install of Win2k on the new server and then restore you data.

I am looking to do this myself for my network as well. What data is it
that you restore? I currently run AD, RIS, DNS, and Wins on this server.
I can take care of transitioning RIS, DNS and Wins already. That
shouldn't be too hard. I just don't know exactly how to transfer over
the Active Directory stuff and make sure that all of the right roles are
set, etc..

Hi Jeremy,

When I say "restore the data", I'm assuming a file server or database
server. If it's just a DC then that's different.

In this situation, I believe what you have to do is first install the
new server o/s then configure it as a domain controller (AD and all
that), then add service packs, patches etc, then you "replicate" the
Active Directory from the old server. Once full replication has occurred
you can (in theory) turn off the old domain controller.

I should stress, however, that I've never actually done this.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

You would think there would be a technet article on doing
something like this. There has got to be a lot of users
in the same boat as we're in.

Hi,

There's dozens of articles on the MS site about Active Directory and
migration. However, sometimes they skip over the really basic stuff.
There's also the resource kit documentation which most people doing this
kind of thing will have a copy of. However, again it's not always as
useful as it should be.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)