E6300 server... what do i need to buy?

Derek1387

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Ok, i have a spare 6300 that i want to use to build a gaming/media server... what all do i need? I have aobut 800 ish to play with... i have a case and PSU already too...

buuild me a server guys! I have the OS's already... just need compononets...

Well, if you just have the E6300, it depends on what kind of server you need. If it is just used for a few files and relatively light use, a standard desktop will work. If you intend to use the thing as a media server, store a lot of files (hundreds of GB) on it that you don't want to lose, or otherwise need a machine to always be there, then you want a *real* server. Here's what you'd need for a real server:

1. A suitable socket 775 motherboard. You can use a regular desktop motherboard, or for better reliability (but no overclocking which is completely inappropriate for a server) go with a socket 775 server board with a server chipser like the Intel 3000 or 3010. The Tyan S5197 looks like an excellent LGA775 server board but it'll cost ya.

2. Sufficient DDR2-533 RAM. If it is a game server, then you might need 2GB, otherwise 1GB is more than enough for a simple file server.

3. Enough HDDs. Be smart and plan to put them in RAID 5, so that means 3 or more HDDs. The Seagate NL or WD Caviar RE2 make good "bit bucket" HDDs. After you've bought as many HDDs as you want, buy one more to use as a (cold) spare so you don't have to run your array in painful degraded mode while your replacement HDD is shipping.

4. Two identical PCIe or PCI-X RAID cards, dependent on what your motherboard has for slots. Stay away from PCI cards as the only ones that won't bottleneck are 64-bit 66 MHz PCI cards and those slots don't exist on new boards- they've been replaced with PCI-X and PCIe. Get two cards because if you only get one and it does, you need to find an IDENTICAL card or else your data is toast.

5. A case with sufficient room for your hard drives. Look for one with good cooling as this machine will probably be on 24/7.

6. A good-quality PSU with enough SATA power connections. It doesn't need to have an extremely high watt rating as the CPU and motherboard don't draw all that much and there's only an IGP. (Don't put a GPU in a server.) Each HDD needs something like 12 watts, so figure accordingly. Quality is more important than capacity in this case.

EDIT: I see that you say you have the OS. Which OS is that by chance?

Derek1387

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
i have XP Pro, Server 2003, and Linux. I have CL keys for XP and Server... so kinda my choice...

got any specifiv parts i hsould look at?

You want to use Linux if at all possible. What parts you need depends on how hard you intend to use your server. If it is simply an "I'll put a few files on this machine and use it as a game server for 4 others" machine, then normal desktop parts will suffice. Get a motherboard with integrated graphics, such as one running the G965 chipset. Put 2x512MB DDR2-533 decently-priced memory in it. I recommend the 1GB kit of Corsair's Value Select DDR2-533 as Corsair's RAM is good RAM and not that expensive. Also, OCZ's value series is good. Stay away from GeiL and G.Skill as I've gotten dead modules from them, but never from OCZ or Corsair. Put that in an average ATX case with a generic optical drive and a good 350W PSU with a good 7200 rpm SATA HDD, such as WD's Caviar SE16 or Seagate's Barracuda 7200.10.

If you want a heavy-duty server that can handle lots of users accessing lots of files at once (perhaps this is a media server for several TVs) then look at my original post for the kinds of parts you'd need.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
If you want gaming forget linux, go into windows server 2003, because it perform almost like win xp in gaming, but required more ram, but you can cut some services and it will be like XP. I had server installed into my server for 3 years and i never got anything and still run 100%. And don't get raid 5 setup, is not worth it really for a simple home file server, i have a single ide setup with 3 drive and it run perfect since a long time, i never lost any files or got error. If you are going to open it 24/24 put lots of cooling into the motherboard (if not a server) or maybe you want to sell your e6300 and gets the Xeon 3000 series wich it still 775 socket and they run cooler. With 800$ put your money into a good board, ram, and hard drive, the videocard will depend on what gamer you are.

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Ok, i have a spare 6300 that i want to use to build a gaming/media server... what all do i need? I have aobut 800 ish to play with... i have a case and PSU already too...buuild me a server guys! I have the OS's already... just need compononets...

Ok, if it is a E6300 you have got, then it is going to be a "desktop" server.

Before answering, you will need to give some more detail:

What amout of data are you planing to put on it?
How many clients?
Is going to be a media center PC at the same time, or only server?
What kind of server applications (UPnP mediaserver?, MS fileserver?, MS printserver?, webserver?, email server?, SQL server?, Internet security server (application proxies))?