Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Noob...(E6600)

Last response: in Overclocking
March 13, 2007 4:09:28 AM

If I'm getting this RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

And this Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

With stock fan/HS...etc, what would be a good speed for me to aim for? And I did read the guide but I kind of got the multiplier but not really. I know 400x8 is one that is 1:1 for my RAM(or I think it is); but I was wondering if there was any there are 1:1 that are lower than 3.2GHz.

Don't really want to take it that high, as I've always had bad luck, unless you all think that is a safe OC.

EDIT: Also, about the mobo, I do plain on getting another 8800GTX eventually , incase you might of been wondering.
March 13, 2007 4:45:35 AM

if you want a safe overclock I would go for 8x400 if your temps are good with the stock fan. I would recommend you getting a cheap after market HSF though if you are scared...
If you are only looking for a minor OC, you could just get a pair of DDR2 667MHz sticks (PC2-5400) and buy an aftermarket HSF. That way you could OC that CPU to 9x333Mhz = 3.0GHz and you would be at a 1:1 ratio.
Otherwise you could always try 7x400 although I don't know if that mobo allows you to lower the multiplier down to 7?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2007 10:00:40 PM

Quote:
i dont understand why not just use ddr2 800? Can you be specific as to why its not as good to oc that?

I don't really understand what 8x400 and 9x333Mhz = 3.0GHz and ratios. Is there a guide somewhere that explains exactly how to OC an e6600 while explaining the technical talk?

if only there were a step by step guide someone could put up! :) 

400x8 and 333x9 etc - thats FSB x MULTIPLIER = CLOCK

if you are not familiar with your bios, and components, avoid doing this and save your hardware.

That overclocking guide is very easy, do a google search to narrow down your questions.
March 14, 2007 3:50:52 PM

Quote:
i dont understand why not just use ddr2 800? Can you be specific as to why its not as good to oc that?

I don't really understand what 8x400 and 9x333Mhz = 3.0GHz and ratios. Is there a guide somewhere that explains exactly how to OC an e6600 while explaining the technical talk?

if only there were a step by step guide someone could put up! :) 

400x8 and 333x9 etc - thats FSB x MULTIPLIER = CLOCK

if you are not familiar with your bios, and components, avoid doing this and save your hardware.

That overclocking guide is very easy, do a google search to narrow down your questions.

I agree - that guide is pretty easy, and the best guide out there. I appreciate it doesn't tell you exactly what each component is, and how the changes you are making will affect the workings of your PC. But if it did that, you'd be swamped with info.

As Apache said, follow the steps in it, and as your questions arise, Google to answer them. I'm speaking as someone who didn't know my ass from my elbow either when I first read that guide. (I arguably still don't :p  )

You'll find even Wikipedia has some very helpful pages. For example, I had no idea what MCH stood for, or what the Northbridge was (or that they were one and the same). Question answered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_%28computing%2...

When it comes to OC'ing, you just need to read, read, and read some more. That's what I found anyway.

EDIT: And you're right, he could use DDR2-800 RAM - but if he only wants to run a moderate OC, then he could get away with (cheaper) DDR2-667.
!