Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Antec
  • Quadro
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2007 4:49:03 AM

Sound unbelievable but now I have a quadro plex model 1 in addition to my custom built machine.

Pentium D 950
1 gig twin2x1024-5400ul
p5n32-sli premium
antec p180 case
550w antec HE
and the crown jewel quadro plex model 1 :D 

Now I know I will thoroughly enjoy the directx 10 games :p 

More about : super gaming computer

March 13, 2007 5:46:19 AM

The quadro plex is the most powerful gpu system on the planet, it is not going to matter if they are not meant for gaming it will destroy any sli system. I think even with the 950 it will run any game very nicely. I need to upgrade the ram to 2gigs before I hook up the plex anyway so I am getting rid of the ram I have. I completly agree with you on the motherboard, it doesn't let me overclock anything with my processor. If you dont know the quadro plex model one is 18k new.
March 13, 2007 6:26:20 AM

The quadro will not game well, i am sorry to inform you, the drivers are not optimised for games, you will lose so much performance it will lag far behind a 8800gtx. In fact, you cant even run games in many cases with that card, unless you like slideshows. Man, I'm actually feeling pain from this, 18,000 is a very much needed new car for me. Anyway, Nvidia recommends 4GB of ram. I really hope it works, post some benchies if you actually get fps in games (though i bet you'll kick 3d-marks ass).
Related resources
March 13, 2007 6:43:36 AM

Why does everyone dis quadro cards. The drivers make no difference in gaming performance, there is only one vista driver and it supports geforce 8 series and quadro together so the drivers are the same. Quadro is the top of the nvidia line it is more powerful than the geforce and more power is better for gaming. Geforce is like a cheaper made quadro card or they start making the quadro and then use information from it to make the geforce and take out the complex, expensive to make it more inexpensive. I have sli fx-4500 right now until the plex come's out with the vista driver and I have never had any problems with any games except toca race driver 3 which is from cheap codemasters.
March 13, 2007 6:57:30 AM

I hope you havnt bought that card already for your sake :roll: Its true that its not made for gaming and 8800GTX would much better for gaming.
March 13, 2007 6:59:13 AM

The Quadro card may be the most powerful GPU but it is not designed for gaming. It is a workstation graphics card that is used for rendering. If you really want a gaming computer, try building a system based around the Nforce 680i chipset with a core 2 E6600 rather than that Pentium D. The Pentium D cannot hold a candle to a dual core X2 or a core 2. That motherboard is alright, but you could do a lot better. Try aiming for the 8800GTX or R600, which will be out in a few months.
March 13, 2007 7:05:03 AM

I will never buy an ati or a geforce they are cheap. I am going to get a xeon quad core system, they don't support sli but now that I have a plex it doesn't matter. Like having the cake and eating it too. :p 
March 13, 2007 7:10:46 AM

This is a joke right??? I really hope so...
March 13, 2007 7:16:17 AM

Pentium D sucks for games.
March 13, 2007 7:40:30 AM

Quote:
I will never buy an ati or a geforce they are cheap. I am going to get a xeon quad core system, they don't support sli but now that I have a plex it doesn't matter. Like having the cake and eating it too. :p 

A workstation card works differently than a gaming card. It has more stable drivers and better precision calculations. But if you think you'll get better framerates you're wrong..it is simply not optimized for this kind of behaviour.
Go to this site..you won't find a single benchmark done on a game.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/quadrofx...
PS(R600 details unveiled): http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6451
March 13, 2007 7:46:57 AM

According to NVIDIA this will not work on the mother board you have. And like the people before have been telling you this will not run games well. It is designed for rendering and professional graphics. It also has its own drivers according to the NVIDIA site. Good luck trying to game with this and a Pentium D.
March 13, 2007 7:54:27 AM

One other thing are you sure all this card will mount in the case you have?????
March 13, 2007 9:26:01 AM

Quote:
What do you think of my new super gaming computer

Not so super. Even if you had the most powerful graphic engine on the planet, that pentium, or any pentium in this galaxy would be bottlenecking it by a long margin, although i would like to know how much 3dmarkies that's able to pull!
March 13, 2007 10:21:33 AM

Do a little more research before actaully trying to build your super gaming compuiter. Listen to the guys that posted above.

First of all Pendium D is a big NO NO! why? cause you've got better choices out there. E4300 E6300 or better yet if your on a tight budget get a freakin AMD X2 3600+
as for the video card unless your a rocket scientist or something you wouldn't be able to take full use of that card. specially if you want to play games on it. instead of spending that load of money on that get yoursefl 8800gtx's and sli them. even 1 8800gtx will kick it's arse in games.
March 13, 2007 10:21:36 AM

He came, he flashed his e-peen, but the crowd didn't cheer.

Reminds me of this guy that lived across the hall from me. He drove a beat-up old Honda (or Toyota) with hub-caps that cost more than the car itself.

Dear OP. Please publish some benchmarks.
March 13, 2007 10:25:28 AM

Quote:
Sound unbelievable but now I have a quadro plex model 1 in addition to my custom built machine.

Pentium D 950
1 gig twin2x1024-5400ul
p5n32-sli premium
antec p180 case
550w antec HE

LOL. Its the typical "bigger is always better" way of thinking. If it costs more, it must be better. :lol: 

My x1900xtx would most likely kill it in games.

Wow, I just looked it up. Its EXTERNAL. Damn, its big. I bet its outstanding for animation, but won't suit a gamer :(  .
March 13, 2007 10:39:57 AM

Quote:

Pentium D 950
1 gig twin2x1024-5400ul
p5n32-sli premium
antec p180 case
550w antec HE

I see a few problems with what you're saying :

1) Quadros are not made for gaming... they are professionnal cards designed for applications like 3ds max or maya.

2) Quadro plex I comes with 2 Quadro FX 5500... that are not DirectX10 cards (Quadro 5600 and 4600 are DX10) so you can forget DX10 games

3) your CPU and your amount of RAM are insufficient for a Quadro Plex AND for extreme gaming (have you heard about Supreme Commander, for example ?)

Conclusion : if you really have a Quadro Plex :
1) sell it to someone who really needs it...
2) buy a decent CPU, one more GB of RAM, and 2 8800GTX
3) Play games !
March 13, 2007 11:16:50 AM

Something tells me this was a joke from the very beginning.
March 13, 2007 11:22:03 AM

THIS RIG IS TRULY UNBELIEVABLE.

It costs more than $15000 and can be out performed by a $4000 that has a nice look and is water cooled.

consider a quad core qx6700,
2x8800gtx
a decent motherboard
4gb ram
2 raptor x raid 0
4x750gb for storage
mozart tx case( with all the bells and whistles)
a good water cooling
blu ray and hd dvd drives
30" cinema displays

this wont even cost $10000
March 13, 2007 12:01:52 PM

Quote:
The quadro plex is the most powerful gpu system on the planet, it is not going to matter if they are not meant for gaming it will destroy any sli system. I think even with the 950 it will run any game very nicely. I need to upgrade the ram to 2gigs before I hook up the plex anyway so I am getting rid of the ram I have. I completly agree with you on the motherboard, it doesn't let me overclock anything with my processor. If you dont know the quadro plex model one is 18k new.

Actually it won't.

The Quadro and FireGL line of cards from nVidia and ATI respectively don't work the same way as traditional "gamer" cards. I don't know enough to explain it, but wikipedia and google are your friend. Trust me, if you bought that card for gaming... you wasted a lot of money.

Not to mention the proc is crap, apparently someone said the motherboard wasn't so hot, lack of overclocking with that memory (that may or may not be your thing)

So all in all...
1) big waste on your video card unless you're doing 3D modeling/CAD work
2) processor bites it, if you're doing 3D modeling/CAD work you DEFINATELY picked the wrong proc
3) well... focus on those
March 13, 2007 12:03:24 PM

Quote:
I will never buy an ati or a geforce they are cheap.

You want to buy me two of those "Cheap" 8800 GTX's? That would be great!
March 13, 2007 12:05:11 PM

and yet the D950 (hand-picked no doubt) for that custom built gaming machine must have been expensive enough )
March 13, 2007 12:12:44 PM

Quote:

You want to buy me two of those "Cheap" 8800 GTX's? That would be great!

I had a laught with that. With that kind of though, why not buy one of those giant computers that can predict the whether and put a quadro inside of it? It couldnt go much pointless than that for sure.
March 13, 2007 12:44:19 PM

This is like buying a 16 cylinder, 700HP diesel dump truck and saying you have the fastest vehicle on the street. Coupling this with a Pentium D and PC5400 memory only makes me think that this has to be a joke post or some fiction drilled up by a 13 year old to "impress" others. I'm not buying it and I guess the attempt to impress a bunch of faceless strangers backfired seriously. :roll: :lol: 
March 13, 2007 12:45:45 PM

Quote:
This is like buying a 16 cylinder, 700HP diesel dump truck and saying you have the fastest vehicle on the street. Coupling this with a Pentium D and PC5400 memory only makes me think that this has to be a joke post or some fiction drilled up by a 13 year old to "impress" others. I'm not buying it and I guess the attempt to impress a bunch of faceless strangers backfired seriously. :roll: :lol: 

Shall we burn him to ashes!
March 13, 2007 12:50:04 PM

he walked into a wrong 'hood ))
March 13, 2007 12:51:46 PM

This guy tried to show off his big penis, but came out all flaccid. :lol:  :roll:
March 13, 2007 12:52:19 PM

offtopic but nevertheless:

Merc14: I just can't imagine what dual watercooling loops look like, or even how it all works. (in love with air all my life). Got any pics?
March 13, 2007 1:03:49 PM

Everyone is saying supreme commander is the new benchmark but my 8800gts + e6600 runs it full graphics 1680x1050 + 1280x1024

starts to lag just a bit when I get muh army ready for pouncing.

As for the OP it was a joke im sure. Nobody would waste 18k on a worthless gaming card, match it up with an incompatible system, then brag about it.
March 13, 2007 1:13:11 PM

I had most of the parts. Just bought some Tygon tubing and a used DD5 pump. I was doing a new build, trying to use mostly used parts like the case and PSU etc. and decided that with a small investment I could do two loops. Found a DD5 pump and Tygon tubing cheap and incorporated it. I still have some clean up work to do but it will wait as I have been busy on other things. Also, I used extra tubing at critical places so i could swap parts in and out in the future. These are the pics from a blog I did on the Asus Independent site. It was a fun build and interesting experiment and I like the dual loop approach but I will be the first to admit it is overkill so please keep flaming to a minium.
March 13, 2007 1:39:56 PM

Wow. Thanks for going thru the trouble of posting all those images.

So, if I understand correctly, one loop is for CPU exclusively, and the other's for VGA, NB, SB ?
March 13, 2007 1:51:07 PM

looks great merc!

I have one problem when I mod computers... I am terrible with cable management... are there certain cases anyone recomends for cable hiding and such? I like to see as few as cables as possible.
March 13, 2007 2:07:33 PM

I think the OP is just lying and trying to get the reaction from people that he has gotten. But, if he is stupid enough to believe that is Quatro Plex is the best gaming gpu he can buy, then let him spend the $18k and laugh at him later.
March 13, 2007 2:14:27 PM

No problem as the photos were together already at another forum. Final config is the CPU on a DD5 pump, 1/2" ID loop with dual 120 rad mounted in the top of the case. Both chipsets and the GPU on an MCP 300 pump 3/8" ID loop with dual 120 rad hanging off the back.

I took a twisted path to the final config. My original SB block on the original build board (a P5N-E that was bad) couldn't fit 1/2" tubes so I was using a 120 Swiftech Ultra 3/8" ID kit to cool the chipsets and the 1/2" for the CPU. Ended up getting the Plus board while the P5N-E went through RMA and it wouldn't take the SB chip at all, so I ordered another MCW30 but it wouldn't fit well with the 8800GTS air cooler. :roll:

Sooooo I got an MCW60 for the GTS and the MCW30 fit fine but now I had a GPU and two chipsets on the 3/8" loop 8O . So I pulled my old Swiftech dual 120 rad out of storage and use it to cool the 3/8" loop. CPU has the 1/2" loop all to itself.

The result of all this swapping and changing was some really great temps on all the components. Had the GTS at 675/1.9 and max temp on the diode was 45c. CPU stays below 48c, just wish i could get it higher but it has hit a wall. I am looking at getting a faster, hotter CPU to take advantage of all that cooling i have on the 1/2" ID loop.
March 13, 2007 7:05:13 PM

Hijacked. Thankfully.

I bet a million dollars he's just some bored kid trying impress people with his made-up wealth. No adult would talk like that as the value of money is learned and is greater the older you get. Even if you're rich, you still dont balk at things being "too cheap". I'm glad he failed so horribly so that he'll learn a lesson and not be so ignorant before making false claims about crappy hardware combinations. Really, we're doing him good so that he wont get beat up at school for being an annoying know-it-all only spewing bullhonkey out of his lying little mouth!
March 13, 2007 7:08:55 PM

I don't know how e-penis makes any sense but how is this for a lying one
vcu

I didn't buy this for 18k I am not insane I found a really good deal on it but he took out the cards for his own use and I have yet to buy them. Although it is just like a computer you can put whatever pci-express cards you want in it and have an sli setup that only uses one pci-e slotand boosts the overall performance. The only reason I bought this is because I want to build a xeon system with these processors
xeon
they are the most powerful processor intel makes. The only chipset that works with them is the e8501 and supports up to 4 and also supports one pci-e x16 slot. Thats over 13Ghz and 32 cores with 4 processors. With the plex you cant deny that it would run some smooth graphics on a 30" lcd. As for not supporting dx10 I am hoping to find a good price for a fx-5600 or fx-4600 on ebay.
March 13, 2007 7:11:19 PM

Quote:
Hijacked. Thankfully.

crappy hardware combinations.

Hey hey hey! Don't Bash UNUSUAL hardware combinations! I love my celeron 2ghz with my gf7800 and 235 watts psu!! It almost hits 6800 3dmarks 2001!
March 13, 2007 8:14:39 PM

Quote:
The drivers make no difference in gaming performance

That may be the single most idiotic statement I have ever seen on this board. Bravo. Bravo.
March 13, 2007 8:55:26 PM

in second comes
Quote:

which is the same statment that unmasked his little "prank"
March 13, 2007 9:05:06 PM

I would like to see some pics of that PC, just to be sure this is not just
March 13, 2007 9:08:51 PM

Quote:
The only reason I bought this is because I want to build a xeon system with these processors
xeon
they are the most powerful processor intel makes. The only chipset that works with them is the e8501 and supports up to 4 and also supports one pci-e x16 slot. Thats over 13Ghz and 32 cores with 4 processors. With the plex you cant deny that it would run some smooth graphics on a 30" lcd. As for not supporting dx10 I am hoping to find a good price for a fx-5600 or fx-4600 on ebay.

ok, I give up... do you realize that your bragging loses more and more credibility... at the first page of the topic, your "killer PC" was a Pentium D 950.... 2 pages later it becomes a quad xeon... what will it be in 2 more pages ? will you buy an IBM BlueGene supercomputer ?

Anyway, just in case you are serious... 4 Xeon CPUs are useless for gaming... almost as useless as a Quadro Plex...
Games just start taking advantage of ONE dual core processor.
And actually, just like Quadro cards, workstation motherboards with Xeon CPUs are not made for gaming... but if you really have money to waste...

EDIT :

I almost forgot... your statement about drivers not influencing performance is definitely stupid... maybe you should take a look at recent articles about Intel IGPs or about the latest Catalyst drivers. I also remember when NV released its 40.xx drivers... my Geforce4's performance increased by about 20%.
In the specific case of Quadro drivers, they don't include the same optimisations as Geforce drivers, so that performance in games will be lower (some games won't even run correctly) and 3D apps like 3dsmax will have a better performance in the viewport, and will be able to use the GPU to speed up rendering (with the NV Gelato rendering engine)
That's it... now, at least, you have learned something about drivers... so your topic wasn't totally useless...
March 13, 2007 9:43:11 PM

Quote:

Pentium D 950
1 gig twin2x1024-5400ul
p5n32-sli premium
antec p180 case
550w antec HE

1st - You don´t know crap about computers.

2nd- Somebody told you that the quadro plex model 1 costs about $17.000, assuming it's the best on the planet, and by some kind of magic it appeared under your desk (in your imagination though...)

3rd - You don´t know crap about computers.

4th - You have 8 years of age and the intelligence of George Bush (somehow you won't start WW3, which is good)
March 13, 2007 9:47:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know how e-penis makes any sense but how is this for a lying one
vcu

I didn't buy this for 18k I am not insane I found a really good deal on it but he took out the cards for his own use and I have yet to buy them. Although it is just like a computer you can put whatever pci-express cards you want in it and have an sli setup that only uses one pci-e slotand boosts the overall performance.

EDIT: it's not a real computer? SLI on one slot? :lol:  man this keeps getting better

Is it just me or does that not look like the most powerful GPU in existence (serial port?) :lol: 

Quote:

The only reason I bought this is because I want to build a xeon system with these processors
xeon
they are the most powerful processor intel makes. The only chipset that works with them is the e8501 and supports up to 4 and also supports one pci-e x16 slot. Thats over 13Ghz

:lol:  right, enjoy your 13Ghz :roll:

Quote:
and 32 cores with 4 processors. With the plex you cant deny that it would run some smooth graphics on a 30" lcd. As for not supporting dx10 I am hoping to find a good price for a fx-5600 or fx-4600 on ebay.

Yes I can and I'm sure being the frugal customer that you are, you won't get ripped off :lol:  :lol:  :roll:

EDIT: Octo core? Wow :lol: 

Enjoy your expensive slideshow player that only exists and will forever exist only in your mind :wink:
March 13, 2007 9:53:25 PM

Quote:
xeon
they are the most powerful processor intel makes. The only chipset that works with them is the e8501 and supports up to 4 and also supports one pci-e x16 slot. Thats over 13Ghz and 32 cores with 4 processors.

The 7140M is one of the Tulsa Xeons, so looks like you'd get 8 cores out of the 4 processors.

If you're going to spend crazy amounts of money - and I think many of the previous posters would advise against that - you could do better with say a pair of Clovertown Xeon 5355 for which Intel has a nice workstation motherboard, the S5000XVN which, yes, has a PCI-E x16 slot.

Not sure that any of this is actually relevant to your stated purpose of DX-10 gaming ....
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2007 10:05:17 PM

Quote:
Pentium D sucks for games.

ROFLMAO and everything else including power consumption

your system = poo
March 13, 2007 10:08:07 PM

Quote:
Geforce is like a cheaper made quadro card

This statement is so wrong, it has become part of my sig.

Get informed next time buddy
March 13, 2007 10:25:29 PM

Please God let me meet him so I can sell him my magic beans.......
March 13, 2007 10:37:24 PM

If you still don't believe I own this look for any other pics posted on the net that arn't from the inquirer(they did a review with a pic of the system hooked up to a computer) or nvidia.com. Or I will take another picture which I dont really want to do because someone might use it for an ebay scam.
Its sound a little overkill yes, but I am trying to keep it under 8k in cost, which is fairly reasonable.
Sorry I didn't mean cores-physical processors.
I have been very intrested in computers all the way back to my pentium 75mhz, so I know a bit about computers.
I bought the pentium d 950 before it came out, it is a confidential processor, and I havn't wanted to upgrade just yet, maybe when quake wars and bioshock are released I will get a core 2 extreme.
And sorry it just seems to me that quadro cards will be what nvidia spends the majority of there time on. Why would they spend money on a complete different job for geforce, I think they incorperate the work done first with the quadro's into the ge-force.
March 13, 2007 10:51:05 PM

Jesus this kid still doesn't understand does he? 8O :lol: 
Quote:
Why would they spend money on a complete different job for geforce, I think they incorperate the work done first with the quadro's into the ge-force.

..... you really are ignorant! :trophy:
March 13, 2007 10:55:25 PM

Quote:
If you still don't believe I own this look for any other pics posted on the net that arn't from the inquirer(they did a review with a pic of the system hooked up to a computer) or nvidia.com. Or I will take another picture which I dont really want to do because someone might use it for an ebay scam.

Oh my God, you are really dumb... But keep posting. We are enjoying it.
!