Sign in with
Your question

need help with external storage (backup)

Last response: in Storage
March 13, 2007 5:18:31 AM

Hi, I was looking at the external storages for backup purpose and I realised that I needed some help...

I have 2 desktop and 2 laptop at home.
All of them are running with Vista Ultimate and are relatively new.
I'll be making backup everynight
The external harddrive will be used only for backup purpose and also for storage of disc-images...
The two desktops are wired directly to the router while the two laptop will run the backup through the wireless

I was looking at external boxes with convientionnal HD in it with ethernet connection that I could connect directly to the router and the other solution, an external USB/firewire box with builtin HD that I would share on the network.

What's the best between those two solutions? Is there any other solutions that i am not considering?
Will I need any specific backup software? Should I use the software that comes with the product? Should I use the backup utility from vista?

I'm looking at the reviews right now and both LaCie external boxes and WD MyBook seem nice but they never compare these two kind in the reviews...

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
thank you!
March 13, 2007 5:49:06 AM

I believe that THG has some reviews on NAS devices.
March 13, 2007 5:03:22 PM

Quote:
I believe that THG has some reviews on NAS devices.

I already checked. There is some but almost all of them are before 2005... pretty old
Related resources
March 16, 2007 5:58:03 PM

I dunno if I would trust anything that cost $99...
March 16, 2007 5:59:53 PM

it's up to you. I saw the same exact NAS at my local store for 275$
If I lived in the US, I would have ordered it but they don't ship to canada...
!