User accounts: MyDocs folders

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 22, 2004 9:47:08 PM

I've set up win2k3 server w/AD and added users, but am
having trouble with users' MyDocs folders.

Someone suggested I set up shared folder on server, create
user folders, map to drive, and use that for MyDocs...

but I am wondering [since I have no experience] whether
redirection would be applicable, and if so

1] quick overview of method
2] way to minimize impact on users who already have changed
their MyDocs folder to network share when switching to
redirection

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 11:48:14 PM

Hi,

The way I do it is to create a server share for every user, then map a
drive to that share in their user account properties. I then redirect
them to this drive in their roaming user settings (this part could be
done with group policy).

This works pretty well 99% of the time, but there's some things I need
to look at:

1. I probably don't need a share for every user - I could use a
subfolder instead under a huge "users" share.

2. I currently have no way to prevent them from changing their location
back to something like c:\guff

One thing to note. If you redirect by right-clicking the icon I suggest
you allow it to "move the files to the new location". This will ensure
things like "My Pictures" also end up in the correct location. It
doesn't just move files, it also sorts out your HKCU reg keys (shell
folders etc)

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
!