ipaq 4700 wifi access to internet

June 9, 2005 12:18:22 AM

hi all, just bought an ipaq 4700 which appearently has wifi capability. When
i engage it, it actually finds some wifi networks for me. Fine i think, now
i can go on the internet anywhere without paying, but when i start IE it
says "Cannot connect with current connections settings. To change your
connection settings, tap settings". After tapping settings i cannot
configure anything related to wifi. How can i get onto the internet with
wifi? (no wifi subscription).

second question is if its possible to use the wifi connection with the ipaq
4700 as a wifi modem for my laptop. ie connecting to the internet using the
wifi on my 4700 and then routing that to my laptop?

thnx
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:18:23 AM

See this page for help including a link to a HP document that describes how to use 802.11b on your
device...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WirelessCo...

The answer to your last question is no, you can not use your iPAQ as a router type device so your
laptop can access the internet through the iPAQ... You can do the opposite... Its called an ad-hoc
connection. See this page for general guidance...

http://www.geocities.com/grieg_winter/adhoc/index.html

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jex" <noway@mail.nl> wrote in message news:D 87cpv$h15$1@news5.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> hi all, just bought an ipaq 4700 which appearently has wifi capability. When i engage it, it
> actually finds some wifi networks for me. Fine i think, now i can go on the internet anywhere
> without paying, but when i start IE it says "Cannot connect with current connections settings. To
> change your connection settings, tap settings". After tapping settings i cannot configure anything
> related to wifi. How can i get onto the internet with wifi? (no wifi subscription).
>
> second question is if its possible to use the wifi connection with the ipaq 4700 as a wifi modem
> for my laptop. ie connecting to the internet using the wifi on my 4700 and then routing that to my
> laptop?
>
> thnx

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:47:35 PM