whats a good program to check cpu temps?

die_for_me666

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
i'm currently using core temp and im worried it may be giving me false readings.

i've overclocked my core 2 duo on my zalman 9700 air cooler and i 'am a tad bit concerned about my temps.

Gorgon

Distinguished
May 27, 2005
Personaly I'm using Speedfan with Vista. Seems to be the one with the more realistic readings. I have a C2D E6600.

My Bios reports iddle temps of ~35C. Speedfan reports temps around 29-31C iddle both under Vista and XP.

Under XP, Coretemp would give me temps of ~21C Iddle. It doesn't work in Vista. TAT would give me iddle temps of 40-45C under XP and ~21-24C under Vista, iddle. So, not reliable at all.

The only one that remains consistent is Speedfan, and it agrees with the Asus utility both under XP and Vista.

Gorgon

Distinguished
May 27, 2005
Do you know if your SpeedFan CPU and Core1/2 temps are appropriate and proportional?

Speedfan only gives temp readings for the CPU as a whole, not for the two cores separately.

I don't think any of those utilities are completely reliable. I use speedfan because:

1) its readings are the same both under XP and Vista

2) TAT readings vary wildly from XP to Vista (20C difference!!!), not to mention that under XP they seem too high (~45C) and under Vista they are very low (~19C-23C)

3) Coretemp only works with XP and the readings seem too low to be true (~19C-23C)

4) Speedfan readings are the same as the ones in Asus utilities

5) Bios readings are just 5C above Speedfan readings.

Taking all this into account I'd say that my "real" iddle temps are somewhere between the Bios readings and Speedfan.

If I remember correctly that Guide to C2D Temps says that Speedfan gives lower temp readings than Coretemp; in my case its precisely the opposite.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Gorgon, perhaps you should try SpeedFan's newest release, 4.32, because it monitors all 3 C2D temps. In regards to what the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide says, I think I know, because I'm the author. The latest update is 3/11/07, so check it out again. I think it can help you solve these issues, and configure the proper offsets, so both sets of Idle and Load temps are correct.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

Gorgon

Distinguished
May 27, 2005
Computonix, thanks a lot for your help offer. :)

Ok, I instaled Speedfan 4.32. The CPU readings are the same (around 31C for system and 29-31C for CPU, all iddle). As for the cores, its says the same as Coretemp did in XP (around 17-19C for each core, also iddle), so I suppose that Coretemp was right all the time. I'm such an ass. I suppose these readings are correct?

By the way, is there any way to check my GPU temps in Vista? Does Rivatuner works in Vista 32bit?

Also, is there any way to show the HD temps in Speedfan 4.32? I can't seem to find them in the configuration. And CPU usage is not working also.

I'll check out the updated Guide again.

Thank you!

Gorgon

Distinguished
May 27, 2005
Hum...

Now that I read the Guide, maybe I'm a big asshole, but wasn't it supposed for the core1/core2 temps to be around 15C higher than the CPU readings? The contrary is happening. I have 31C CPU and 18-20C on the cores.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Your temps are transposed, but that's fairly common among the 965 boards. Also, no temps can be at or below ambient. Fortunately, we can adjust the offsets in SpeedFan 4.32. If you list your "Results" and "Variables" as shown in the Guide, then I can determine what the correct offsets should be.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

Gorgon

Distinguished
May 27, 2005
Your temps are transposed, but that's fairly common among the 965 boards. Also, no temps can be at or below ambient. Fortunately, we can adjust the offsets in SpeedFan 4.32. If you list your "Results" and "Variables" as shown in the Guide, then I can determine what the correct offsets should be.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

Thanks!

So here it goes (all for Speedfan):

RESULTS (all iddle):

Tcase/CPU: 31
Tjunction (core1/core2): 19/20

VARIABLES:

ambient: not sure, but around 20-22
Chipset: P965
C2D: E6600
CPU cooler: Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX (the latest one)
Frequency: 2.4 Ghz
Load: all iddle, not full load
Motherboard: Asus P5B Delux
Vcore: it says 1.18 in both Speedfan and CPUZ

Hope that helps! Thanks!

gloppppp

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
:arrow: CompuTronix you seem to know what your talking about,any suggestions for a utility for checking RAM (one thats reasonably easy to use).Thanks.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Gorgon, thanks for the information, however, in order to analyze your temps, I also need Load temps. The setup is shown under "Testing" so this additional info will fill in the remaining pieces to the puzzle.

Thanks,

Comp 8)

Gorgon

Distinguished
May 27, 2005
Gorgon, thanks for the information, however, in order to analyze your temps, I also need Load temps. The setup is shown under "Testing" so this additional info will fill in the remaining pieces to the puzzle.

Thanks,

Comp 8)

Ok. With C1E disabled I get Vcore = 1.280.

Temps under Full Load (TAT for 10 minutes) in Vista:

Tcase/CPU: 51
Tjunction (core1/core2): 45/45

All readings in speedfan.
Speedfan 4.32 does not give CPU work load like 4.31 did. It also does not recognize my hard drives.

By the way, is there any utilitie that works in Vista to check out GPU temps, like Rivatuner?

Thanks!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Vista & SpeedFan

Tcase: 31 Idle - 51 Load
Tjunction: 20 Idle - 45 Load

Ambient: ~ 20-22
Chipset: P965
C2D: E6600
CPU cooler: Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX
Frequency: 2.4 Ghz
Load: TAT 100% 10 minutes
Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe
Vcore: 1.280

Tcase offset = +5c
Tjunction offset = -15c

Corrected Results:

Tcase: 26 Idle - 46 Load
Tjunction: 35 Idle - 60 Load

As you can now see, Tcase + ~15c = Tjunction. Use the "Offsets" section of the Guide to enter a -5c offset correction for CPU temp, and enter +15c offset corrections for Core 0 / Core 1 temps. Your temps will now make sense and meet the "Parameters".

SpeedFan 4.32 does not give CPU work load like 4.31 did. It also does not recognize my hard drives.

This can be dependent upon motherboard, chipset and OS. The objective is achieve correct C2D temperatures.

By the way, is there any utilitie that works in Vista to check out GPU temps, like Rivatuner?

Have you tried Riva Tuner?

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

Gorgon

Distinguished
May 27, 2005
So, I add +15 to Tjunction and -5 to Tcase, right? That gives me a difference of around 20C between the two.

Also, I now get something like 27C iddle on CPU, as expected; but thats almost 5C less than Asus utilities (which gives the same readings as Speedfan did before the corrected offsets) and 10C less than Bios readings. Is this OK?

One more question: What about System and Aux? How do I know they are ok? My System reports 33C, and the Aux is "burning" at 119C.

Thanks a lot for your help!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
So, I add +15 to Tjunction and -5 to Tcase, right? That gives me a difference of around 20C between the two.

The correction factors are relevant only to the results. If you re-test, then Tcase Load + ~15c should = Tjunction Load.

Also, I now get something like 27C iddle on CPU, as expected; but thats almost 5C less than Asus utilities (which gives the same readings as Speedfan did before the corrected offsets) and 10C less than Bios readings. Is this OK?

With stock clock, low Vcore and a high end cooler, Tcase Idle should be only a few degrees above ambient, regardless of what BIOS or the Asus Utility reports.

One more question: What about System and Aux? How do I know they are ok? My System reports 33C, and the Aux is "burning" at 119C.

System is typically your motherboard temp, so 33c is fine. Aux is simply an unassigned sensor input, and is a common and known problem with SpeedFan.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)