Booting (After Installation) from a boot disk directly to ..

I have a machine which has Win98 and Win 2k in seperate
partitions. I want to remove the Windows 2000 Boot Manager
(linked with boot.ini) and allow a trouble free booting to
Win98, but replacing the MBR. and use a disk to directly
boot to a selected partition. I've used this system to
have multiple Windows 98 Systems on One Computer. Does
anyone know of a method/program which will allow for me to
boot to a different partition,and as in my case to Windows
2000 from a floppy disk. Note that I have completed the
installation of Win2K.

Thanks in advance
LasithG

1.) You can boot with your Win98 startup disk and issue the command
sys C:
this will rewrite the boot sector, then you can delete these files boot.ini,
ntldr, ntdetect.com, bootsect.dos, pagefile.sys and possibly ntbootdd.sys
from the root of the System partition C:\

2.) For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain
the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a
Windows 2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to
the floppy), then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it; and possibly
ntbootdd.sys. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the
machine you wish to boot.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Lasith Gunawardena" wrote:
| I have a machine which has Win98 and Win 2k in seperate
| partitions. I want to remove the Windows 2000 Boot Manager
| (linked with boot.ini) and allow a trouble free booting to
| Win98, but replacing the MBR. and use a disk to directly
| boot to a selected partition. I've used this system to
| have multiple Windows 98 Systems on One Computer. Does
| anyone know of a method/program which will allow for me to
| boot to a different partition,and as in my case to Windows
| 2000 from a floppy disk. Note that I have completed the
| installation of Win2K.
|
| Thanks in advance
| LasithG

I haven't used Windows 9x in years, but I think you can use "fdisk.exe /mbr"
from a Windows 98 boot disk to replace the boot sector. Not sure of that,
though, so double check before doing anything to your system.

As for booting an existing Windows 2000 installation from a floppy, take a
look at the following:

How to Create a Bootable Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition

Regards

Oli