Offering different RIS images & numbering to specified gro..

The issue I need to address is that I want laptop machines in our
company to retrieve a different RIS image and get different numbering
than we distribute to desktops.

Can I achieve this simply by creating a second RIS server with the
laptop image and ensuring that the laptops only ever receive their
images from there? (via prestaging or making that RIS box the only
available server on their subnet etc.)

On a similar thought, if I have multiple RIS servers, is the number
sequence in automatic machine naming controlled centrally somehow, and
do I need to configure anything for this to happen?

Cheers

Rob
1 answer Last reply
More about offering images numbering

    There is complexity in having a second RIS server, if you RIS across
    routers, you'll need to add the additional helper addresses and sometimes
    you can only add one or two addresses. Also, both RIS boxes will want to
    service users requests so you'll need to prestage as you have pointed out.

    I greatly prefer to regulate RIS imaging by setting ntfs permissions ont he
    *.sif file in each image to only allow certain users to access the images.
    FOr example, I do this for server images.

    I use custom setup (set through group policy) and use customized osc menus
    so the user enters the workstation name in the RIS setup so there is
    flexibility. If they do not enter a computer name then the RIS server
    default is used.

    Description of Client Installation Wizard Screens for Remote Installation
    Services
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268325

    http://www.mvps.org/serverstuff/

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE

    > The issue I need to address is that I want laptop machines in our
    > company to retrieve a different RIS image and get different numbering
    > than we distribute to desktops.
    >
    > Can I achieve this simply by creating a second RIS server with the
    > laptop image and ensuring that the laptops only ever receive their
    > images from there? (via prestaging or making that RIS box the only
    > available server on their subnet etc.)
    >
    > On a similar thought, if I have multiple RIS servers, is the number
    > sequence in automatic machine naming controlled centrally somehow, and
    > do I need to configure anything for this to happen?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Rob

Laptops Servers Windows