scythe andy - any real experience?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I've noticed scythe recently put another cooler on the marked. I love my ninja, so I ditched the samurai and went for the andy for my parents computer. But I was wondering - is it actually any good?
Silent pc reviews sais it's really good, but then again .... they're linked directly from scytee-usa.com's homepage .... biased maybe ...

Anyone got some reallife experience with it? The heatpipes appear to be aluminum, not cobber - does it make a difference? (I'd think it should).

In case u haven't seen it ...

product : http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/029/scasm1000_detail.html

review : http://www.silentpcreview.com/article723-page4.html

I'm going to slap it onto an old P4 2.6 (northwood) for the time being .... wonder if I can get a somewhat decent performance out of it ...

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I was reading the specifications. They said that it used a sleeve bearing fan.

I always thought that ball bearing fans were better. Have I been wrong all these years?

It depends on what you mean by "better". In generally, ball bearing == longer life, and sleeve == less noise.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
No real life experience sorry, but I read a review where it was tested against an infinity and the infinity was better.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
How did Scythe come from naming their product things like ninja and samurai to the Andy? Ooooo...how scary does that sound! :roll: Sorry I have not used the..."Andy".

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I've looked it up at one of local retailers web-sites.

Seems like this boy's full name is "Andy Samurai Master" oh jesus.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
No real life experience sorry, but I read a review where it was tested against an infinity and the infinity was better.

Yes it is, but the infinity is always twice as expensive, and is in many cases actually too expensive, cause you could've gotten a better cpu instead of a better cooler, and thus kept the performance while not ruining your warrenty ....
this one however is about the same as the ninja (price) .... and thus a bit more affordable, and a lot more justifiable due to the low noise level compared to stock.

Anyhow, what I'm looking at is not to hear that the tuniq is the best cooler around, but rather if anyone has experience with this one .... good or bad.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Thought experience would be measured in terms of temps..... fitting should be fine, and most coolers are quiet enough nowadays....

Infinity is same price as Ninja here in UK, £28, which isn't too bad really.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
What I am looking for is like if the paste is good, or the as5 I've got is better. If there is anything special about the mounting that I need to consider, or if there's something else that needs done before or after mounting, or if there's a need for a different fan, or anything else that isn't nessecarily reflected by the specs.

PS. infinity is 500kr in denmark, while the ninja is 300kr (and the samurai 200kr) ... so at least here the pricing isn't the same... but denmark's not exactly wellknown for modding, so we don't really have all taht many exciting things in stock.... would wish we'd have a newegg.dk site though

Anyway, thanks for the replies I guess.
I'll perhaps post my experience once I've got the one mounted that I ordered .. if it ever arrives

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
319kr at the cheapest place. In comparison the ninja b is 274kr and the samurai b is 214kr
And I was wrong about the infinity - it actually isn't much more expensive than the ninja - that was the shogun one that was (inf 288kr & sho 538kr)

ps. 1 £ is 10.91kr

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
xbitlabs.com reviewed the andy yesterday, tested against the infinity.

I'll let readers go find the review and judge for themselves.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Ya well I'll install one of those andys this weekend. Just didn't get off of work early enough to pick it up at the post office today. The review said it was a piece of cake ..... so I'll just pray they're right ... there isn't exactly a shitload of room in the chassis ... so I hope the heatpipes don't block something vital