Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

What does increasing PCIe x16 frequency do?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 13, 2007 11:20:03 AM

Hi. I just read that one can increase the PCIe frequency. What does this entail? What benifits would there be? Also, what are the risks?

More about : increasing pcie x16 frequency

March 13, 2007 12:04:35 PM

Not talking about OCing the card. Im talking about the PCIe frequency in the BIOS
March 13, 2007 12:05:27 PM

Not talking about OCing the card. Im talking about the PCIe frequency in the BIOS
Related resources
March 13, 2007 12:22:29 PM

At the default speed there is plenty on bandwidth to go around. In short, you will not see any difference.
March 13, 2007 1:09:50 PM

a bump in frequency of 10% will yeald 50 more FPS in most games. Only problem is that the card is fried.
March 15, 2007 11:01:54 AM

Quote:
a bump in frequency of 10% will yeald 50 more FPS in most games. Only problem is that the card is fried.


Ignore that comment, standard 16x has more then any current gfx cards require by a huge amount
March 15, 2007 12:48:50 PM

Not true. PCI-e is the combination of PCI+AGP+ANR, meaning is a repackaged bus with no new technology. The term 16 means the lane has 16 slots combined into one. In any PCI-e slot, there is always 1 PCI hence 1x pci-e is exactly like 1x regular pci slot.

Example: 16x PCI-e consists of 12x AGP slots, 3 PCI slots and one ANR slot. If you over clock the frequency AKA how fast each type of internal slot talks to each other, you will degrease the response time.

A server board's 16x PCI-e connector is constructed using 12 PCI slots, 3 AGP and 1 ANR. This is why you dont want to game on server mobos.





/laugh
March 15, 2007 1:18:30 PM

So why'd increasing the speed to 110mhz fry the card?
And what's the actual bandwidth usable for the card then?
And how much does the best card out there use? (8800gtx oc'ed)
March 15, 2007 5:41:39 PM

Quote:
Not true. PCI-e is the combination of PCI+AGP+ANR, meaning is a repackaged bus with no new technology. The term 16 means the lane has 16 slots combined into one. In any PCI-e slot, there is always 1 PCI hence 1x pci-e is exactly like 1x regular pci slot.

Example: 16x PCI-e consists of 12x AGP slots, 3 PCI slots and one ANR slot. If you over clock the frequency AKA how fast each type of internal slot talks to each other, you will degrease the response time.

A server board's 16x PCI-e connector is constructed using 12 PCI slots, 3 AGP and 1 ANR. This is why you dont want to game on server mobos.


Except on the performance DFI Lanparty boards. Then 16x PCI-e means there are 16 highly trained ants running back and forth between the graphics card and motherboard. An ant carrying a crumb represents a binary 1, while an unladen ant represents binary 0.

Basically, don't worry about PCI-e frequency.
March 15, 2007 6:00:57 PM

If that were true there would be data corruption. The 0 ants would die from starvation and all you would have left are 1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111


and as we all know a buncha ones dont make a game faster.
March 15, 2007 6:05:17 PM

Quote:
Not true. PCI-e is the combination of PCI+AGP+ANR, meaning is a repackaged bus with no new technology. The term 16 means the lane has 16 slots combined into one. In any PCI-e slot, there is always 1 PCI hence 1x pci-e is exactly like 1x regular pci slot.

Example: 16x PCI-e consists of 12x AGP slots, 3 PCI slots and one ANR slot. If you over clock the frequency AKA how fast each type of internal slot talks to each other, you will degrease the response time.

A server board's 16x PCI-e connector is constructed using 12 PCI slots, 3 AGP and 1 ANR. This is why you dont want to game on server mobos.


Sorry to tell you Mr. CompTIA, but you're wrong. PCI and PCI-e are vary different. PCI is a parallel interconnect and PCI-e is a serial interconnect. So what you are proposing just does not make sense.

Here's a link to give you more information about about PCI-e. Linkage
March 15, 2007 6:05:21 PM

Quote:
If that were true there would be data corruption. The 0 ants would die from starvation and all you would have left are 1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

and as we all know a buncha ones dont make a game faster.


There are no specifically 0 ants, any ant can carry a crumb, or not carry it. They just ferry back and forth depending on what needs to be transmitted.

Regardless, these ants are genetically bred to eat dust. Since there's always dust in computers, they won't starve. But they do get tired after a while so you can't run DFI boards 24/7.
March 15, 2007 6:09:27 PM

THey cant be bread to eat dust. Dust bunnies have a union and would sue for infringement upon their title.
March 15, 2007 6:37:38 PM

People report NO ADVANTAGE AT ALL. Just inestability on OC.
March 15, 2007 6:58:06 PM

Now thats what I'm talkin bout ...as I read on alost expecting a total flameout,you trump his knowledge with little known facts to your average beatneck,gl with your future litigation 8O .
March 15, 2007 7:00:10 PM

Quote:
THey cant be bread to eat dust. Dust bunnies have a union and would sue for infringement upon their title.


They can't anymore, according to the Household Waste Products Act of 1998, "airborne debris" (which includes dust) cannot be privately claimed.
March 16, 2007 6:40:33 AM

Fine so overclocking the pcie bus won't speed up gaming ... but if one could increase the old pci bus from 33 to say 37mhz should be able to increase the thruput on the gigabit ethernet should it not? after all, it can only deliver about 800mbit due to bandwidth limitations in the pci bus ?
March 16, 2007 11:37:44 AM

Quote:
Fine so overclocking the pcie bus won't speed up gaming ... but if one could increase the old pci bus from 33 to say 37mhz should be able to increase the thruput on the gigabit ethernet should it not? after all, it can only deliver about 800mbit due to bandwidth limitations in the pci bus ?


From my experience that causes too much instability.
March 16, 2007 7:23:34 PM

At what voltage is your opty running? My bios won't let me past 1.4v so I can't run at 2.8 stable (It'll boot but prime complains)
March 16, 2007 8:04:13 PM

Quote:
At what voltage is your opty running? My bios won't let me past 1.4v so I can't run at 2.8 stable (It'll boot but prime complains)


At first I though that it did not need any more voltage, but it started to error on orthos after about 4 hours. So I now have it at 1.4vcore 24 hour orthos stable. Is your ram running out of spec? I have mine slightly out of spec and would error because of that too, until I upped my dram voltage.
March 21, 2007 3:17:21 PM

well yes right now they're running at 235 instead of 200mhz (at cl3 instead of 2.5) ... but when I'm pushing fsb I lower memory to 133 (currently set to 166) .... so my memory isn't my limit I think.
Anyhow, if I can do 288x9 and not 280x10 it must be my cpu that's the limit, not the memory or chipset.... just wish I could give it 1.5v and up the multiplier to 10 :) 
March 21, 2007 5:04:22 PM

Get a DFI LANParty Expert.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2009 8:41:46 AM

See this:
http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-4612-view-Nvidia-talk...

NVIDIA finally confirmed that the core and shader domain frequency in geForce 9600 GT depends on PCI express frequency . Video card actually use two reference frequencies: 100 MHz (PCI express) and 27 MHz (clock generator). .
In addition our associates revealed also the dependence of core frequency with PCI system bus in two video card: GeForce 9500 GT and GeForce 9800 GX2.

I don't know what it exactly about, but I think this means tha overclocking PCIe freq. will boost-up your games.