Account Migration NT4 -> Win2k Mixed Mode

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 28, 2004 8:58:55 AM

I have a new Win2k domain which needs to stay mixed-mode
for some time as we are unable to demote or remove the NT4
BDCs at present.

I need to migrate users from a trusting/trusted NT4
domain. However, the AD Migration Tool only supports Win2k
Native Mode domains for this task.

Can anyone advise the best way around this (ideally while
still using the SID-History and other useful functions)?

Thanks

Pete
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 3:06:23 PM

Can you upgrade your existing PDC? That would be easiest.

If not you can remove Win 2k from the new server and install NT 4.0 on it as
a BDC while connected to your existing network, promote to PDC then upgrade
to Win 2k and AD.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Pete" <hanneyp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a new Win2k domain which needs to stay mixed-mode
> for some time as we are unable to demote or remove the NT4
> BDCs at present.
>
> I need to migrate users from a trusting/trusted NT4
> domain. However, the AD Migration Tool only supports Win2k
> Native Mode domains for this task.
>
> Can anyone advise the best way around this (ideally while
> still using the SID-History and other useful functions)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 10:01:17 AM