webpage fails due to pop-up window blocked

I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to access important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open them manually. Hoping for a solution
9 answers Last reply
More about webpage fails window blocked

    Suggestions:

    If you have installed PopupBlocker or the similar tools from AOL and
    Earthlink, etc that prevent popups, you may see this. Check Add/Remove
    Programs for these programs.

    Check Internet Settings>Advanced and check the box next to "Disable Script
    Debugging".

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE

    "Adrian Head"
    > I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to access
    important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow was
    blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this I
    get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New window
    is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript error
    asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is not
    blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus checks
    to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The webpage is
    not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using Windows
    2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I don't know
    if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I get the
    message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have scripting
    turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open them
    manually. Hoping for a solution

    Hello Scott

    Thanks for the suggestions but I have never installed any popupblocker programmes and have double checked to make sure none are operating. My Norton utilities does have the feature as well as a scripting restrictions but even with these disabled it still causes a fault and althougth the webpage appears it has the error on page sign and I cannot access the next pages. This happened overnight....one day it was Ok the next it wasn't which is why I thought it might be a virus or trojan but a full check reveals no problems

    Have also ensured I have checked the Disable Script Debugging in the Advanced Internet Explorer Tools but am still unable to view attachments in Express unless I phisically open them

    "Adrian Head" wrote:

    > I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to access important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open them manually. Hoping for a solution
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Sorry about the repeated questions & replies but now every time I post I get a message saying the post has failed and to try again later!! It wuld seem the post is going properly. Perhaps it's part of the same problem as I do get the "popup window blocked" message on here at times as well!

    "Adrian Head" wrote:

    > Hello Scott
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions but I have never installed any popupblocker programmes and have double checked to make sure none are operating. My Norton utilities does have the feature as well as a scripting restrictions but even with these disabled it still causes a fault and althougth the webpage appears it has the error on page sign and I cannot access the next pages. This happened overnight....one day it was Ok the next it wasn't which is why I thought it might be a virus or trojan but a full check reveals no problems
    >
    > Have also ensured I have checked the Disable Script Debugging in the Advanced Internet Explorer Tools but am still unable to view attachments in Express unless I phisically open them
    >

    > "Adrian Head" wrote:
    >
    > > I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to access important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open them manually. Hoping for a solution
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Adrian,

    I've seen Norton implement script blocking features below that broke other
    apps. Happens all the time. Norton is also very invasive so turning off
    features may or may not reveal it as the culprit. Does the working Win2000
    pc have Norton installed? The Live Update feature may have installed
    something without you realizing it.

    I noticed Symantec.com has loads of articles about the Ad-blocking and
    Pop-Up blocking features of their programs.

    One thing you can do is clean boot your machine so only the OS loads. Test
    the pop-ups. Then load one app at a time and see which causes the problem.
    Clean Boot instructions:

    http://tinyurl.com/485xv

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281770&Product=win2000

    Perhaps if you could look at your event logs for more clues and post those
    messages along with the exact error message you receive.

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE

    "Adrian Head" > Sorry about the repeated questions & replies but now every
    time I post I get a message saying the post has failed and to try again
    later!! It wuld seem the post is going properly. Perhaps it's part of the
    same problem as I do get the "popup window blocked" message on here at times
    as well!

    > "Adrian Head" wrote:
    >

    > > Hello Scott
    > >
    > > Thanks for the suggestions but I have never installed any popupblocker
    programmes and have double checked to make sure none are operating. My
    Norton utilities does have the feature as well as a scripting restrictions
    but even with these disabled it still causes a fault and althougth the
    webpage appears it has the error on page sign and I cannot access the next
    pages. This happened overnight....one day it was Ok the next it wasn't
    which is why I thought it might be a virus or trojan but a full check
    reveals no problems

    > > Have also ensured I have checked the Disable Script Debugging in the
    Advanced Internet Explorer Tools but am still unable to view attachments in
    Express unless I phisically open them

    > > "Adrian Head" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to
    access important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow
    was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this
    I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New
    window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript
    error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is
    not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus
    checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The
    webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using
    Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I
    don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I
    get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have
    scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open
    them manually. Hoping for a solution
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Scott

    Have been on holiday so only just got your reply and suggestions. I can
    confirm that the other computers which don't have the same problem both have
    Norton running with auto updates so should be in the same state as mine which
    has the problem. I would love to send you the event logs but regret I am not
    suffiently competent to know how to access them to send them. However I can
    tell you that the messages I get when the pop-up message appears say "unable
    to execute code from free script" and "newWindow is null or not an object.
    This also now appears when I access the reply facility here which possible
    explains why, when I send this in a minute it will tell me the message has
    not been sent even though it has. I will have a look at your clean boot
    suggestion but it does look a bit complicated at first glance.

    Kind regards

    Adrian

    "NIC Student" wrote:

> [...]
    > was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this
    > I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New
    > window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript
    > error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is
    > not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus
    > checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The
    > webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using
    > Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I
    > don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I
    > get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have
    > scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Again Scott

    Following my reply yesterday I have now tried the Clean Boot proceedures but
    have found that even following the instructions on the Symantec link I was
    not ablre to fully suspend all aspects of their programme. Having edited the
    registry entries as directed and checked the windows start up folder
    (couldn't find C:\winnt\temp\ anywhere) but removed the remaining programmes
    from the "all users start up folder I then garried out the check on Task
    Manager and found that the following processes were still running
    ccEvtmgr.exe, ccPxysvc.exe and Navapsvc.exe. All are NIS related. They could
    not be stopped by using the "end process button" as access was denied. The
    problem still persisted. I couldn't find the "msiexec.exe" in the processes
    although it was on the list as one of those that should be and "scvhost.exe"
    was shown 3 times. There was also a "ATi2evxx.exe" running and
    "winmgmt.exe" as well and these could not be deleted either. Don't know if
    any of this helps at all.

    Regards

    Adrian
    "NIC Student" wrote:

> [...]
    > was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this
    > I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New
    > window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript
    > error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is
    > not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus
    > checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The
    > webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using
    > Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I
    > don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I
    > get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have
    > scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Have been in touch with Symantec and they have sent me some additional
    instructions on ad blocking configeration available on their site at the
    following url
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/nip.nsf/docid/2001021911022836
    This seems to have solved the problem I am happy to say. Thanks for all the
    previous assistance and suggestions.

    Kind regards

    Adrian
    "Adrian Head" wrote:

> [...]
    > > was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this
    > > I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New
    > > window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript
    > > error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is
    > > not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus
    > > checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The
    > > webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using
    > > Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I
    > > don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I
    > > get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have
    > > scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks for the follow-up, Adrian.

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE