webpage fails due to pop-up window blocked

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 29, 2004 5:59:42 AM

I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to access important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open them manually. Hoping for a solution
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 10:37:31 AM

Suggestions:

If you have installed PopupBlocker or the similar tools from AOL and
Earthlink, etc that prevent popups, you may see this. Check Add/Remove
Programs for these programs.

Check Internet Settings>Advanced and check the box next to "Disable Script
Debugging".

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Adrian Head"
> I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to access
important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow was
blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this I
get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New window
is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript error
asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is not
blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus checks
to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The webpage is
not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using Windows
2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I don't know
if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I get the
message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have scripting
turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open them
manually. Hoping for a solution
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 11:09:03 AM

Hello Scott

Thanks for the suggestions but I have never installed any popupblocker programmes and have double checked to make sure none are operating. My Norton utilities does have the feature as well as a scripting restrictions but even with these disabled it still causes a fault and althougth the webpage appears it has the error on page sign and I cannot access the next pages. This happened overnight....one day it was Ok the next it wasn't which is why I thought it might be a virus or trojan but a full check reveals no problems

Have also ensured I have checked the Disable Script Debugging in the Advanced Internet Explorer Tools but am still unable to view attachments in Express unless I phisically open them

"Adrian Head" wrote:

> I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to access important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open them manually. Hoping for a solution
August 2, 2004 11:09:06 AM

"Adrian Head" wrote:

> I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to access important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open them manually. Hoping for a solution
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 11:15:03 AM

Sorry about the repeated questions & replies but now every time I post I get a message saying the post has failed and to try again later!! It wuld seem the post is going properly. Perhaps it's part of the same problem as I do get the "popup window blocked" message on here at times as well!

"Adrian Head" wrote:

> Hello Scott
>
> Thanks for the suggestions but I have never installed any popupblocker programmes and have double checked to make sure none are operating. My Norton utilities does have the feature as well as a scripting restrictions but even with these disabled it still causes a fault and althougth the webpage appears it has the error on page sign and I cannot access the next pages. This happened overnight....one day it was Ok the next it wasn't which is why I thought it might be a virus or trojan but a full check reveals no problems
>
> Have also ensured I have checked the Disable Script Debugging in the Advanced Internet Explorer Tools but am still unable to view attachments in Express unless I phisically open them
>

> "Adrian Head" wrote:
>
> > I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to access important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open them manually. Hoping for a solution
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 4:33:23 PM

Hi Adrian,

I've seen Norton implement script blocking features below that broke other
apps. Happens all the time. Norton is also very invasive so turning off
features may or may not reveal it as the culprit. Does the working Win2000
pc have Norton installed? The Live Update feature may have installed
something without you realizing it.

I noticed Symantec.com has loads of articles about the Ad-blocking and
Pop-Up blocking features of their programs.

One thing you can do is clean boot your machine so only the OS loads. Test
the pop-ups. Then load one app at a time and see which causes the problem.
Clean Boot instructions:

http://tinyurl.com/485xv

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281770&Product=win2000

Perhaps if you could look at your event logs for more clues and post those
messages along with the exact error message you receive.

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Adrian Head" > Sorry about the repeated questions & replies but now every
time I post I get a message saying the post has failed and to try again
later!! It wuld seem the post is going properly. Perhaps it's part of the
same problem as I do get the "popup window blocked" message on here at times
as well!

> "Adrian Head" wrote:
>

> > Hello Scott
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions but I have never installed any popupblocker
programmes and have double checked to make sure none are operating. My
Norton utilities does have the feature as well as a scripting restrictions
but even with these disabled it still causes a fault and althougth the
webpage appears it has the error on page sign and I cannot access the next
pages. This happened overnight....one day it was Ok the next it wasn't
which is why I thought it might be a virus or trojan but a full check
reveals no problems

> > Have also ensured I have checked the Disable Script Debugging in the
Advanced Internet Explorer Tools but am still unable to view attachments in
Express unless I phisically open them

> > "Adrian Head" wrote:
> >
> > > I am using Windows 2000 and have recently experienced a failure to
access important web pages because I get a message saying "a pop-up widow
was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this
I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New
window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript
error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is
not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus
checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The
webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using
Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I
don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I
get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have
scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open
them manually. Hoping for a solution
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 8:47:03 AM

Hi Scott

Have been on holiday so only just got your reply and suggestions. I can
confirm that the other computers which don't have the same problem both have
Norton running with auto updates so should be in the same state as mine which
has the problem. I would love to send you the event logs but regret I am not
suffiently competent to know how to access them to send them. However I can
tell you that the messages I get when the pop-up message appears say "unable
to execute code from free script" and "newWindow is null or not an object.
This also now appears when I access the reply facility here which possible
explains why, when I send this in a minute it will tell me the message has
not been sent even though it has. I will have a look at your clean boot
suggestion but it does look a bit complicated at first glance.

Kind regards

Adrian

"NIC Student" wrote:

> [...]
> was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this
> I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New
> window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript
> error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is
> not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus
> checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The
> webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using
> Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I
> don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I
> get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have
> scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open

September 3, 2004 12:43:06 PM

Hi Again Scott

Following my reply yesterday I have now tried the Clean Boot proceedures but
have found that even following the instructions on the Symantec link I was
not ablre to fully suspend all aspects of their programme. Having edited the
registry entries as directed and checked the windows start up folder
(couldn't find C:\winnt\temp\ anywhere) but removed the remaining programmes
from the "all users start up folder I then garried out the check on Task
Manager and found that the following processes were still running
ccEvtmgr.exe, ccPxysvc.exe and Navapsvc.exe. All are NIS related. They could
not be stopped by using the "end process button" as access was denied. The
problem still persisted. I couldn't find the "msiexec.exe" in the processes
although it was on the list as one of those that should be and "scvhost.exe"
was shown 3 times. There was also a "ATi2evxx.exe" running and
"winmgmt.exe" as well and these could not be deleted either. Don't know if
any of this helps at all.

Regards

Adrian
"NIC Student" wrote:

> [...]
> was blocked". The web page then shows an error symbol and on accessing this
> I get messages saying" Can't execute code from a freed script" and "New
> window is null or not an object" and sometimes it comes up with a jscript
> error asking if I want to de-bug. I have made sure my Norton security is
> not blocking anything by turning it off and have run several anti virus
> checks to ensure it is not a virus or Trogen causing the problem. The
> webpage is not at fault because it works ok on another computer also using
> Windows 2000.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.....Incidently and I
> don't know if it is related but in Express I cannot view attachments as I
> get the message saying I need to turn on scripting to view them. I have
> scripting turned on but it still won't show the attachments unless I open

September 8, 2004 5:45:14 AM

Have been in touch with Symantec and they have sent me some additional
instructions on ad blocking configeration available on their site at the
following url
http://service1.symantec.com/support/nip.nsf/docid/2001...
This seems to have solved the problem I am happy to say. Thanks for all the
previous assistance and suggestions.

Kind regards

Adrian

September 14, 2004 1:49:37 PM