Sign in with
Your question

C'mon... is it really worth it?!?!? (overclocking???)

Last response: in Overclocking
March 13, 2007 1:16:22 PM

Thought that title might grab some of your attentions. :lol: 

Seriously though, I just built my first rig (see parts below) this past weekend.... went flawlessly & works WAY better than my old store bought rig from '03.

I built it to play mostly real time strategy games (Dawn of War, C&C3, etc.) but also play a little World of Warcraft sometimes. I have yet to get Sup-Com, but it runs WoW, DoW & C&C3 (demo) w/ graphics settings maxed out.

I built my system w/ 'upgradability' in mind for the next couple of years & intentions to OC. I've been reading the different how to's on OC & I imagine I will start tinkering w/ it very soon.

What I'm wondering is... how noticible is the performance difference between having my CPU running @ 2.4 Ghz to say 3.4-3.6 Ghz? Is it worth the OC effort? Don't get me wrong, the OC itself seems like just a neat a hobby as using the PC itself, but I'm wondering how much bang for your Ghz do you get??? :wink:

Thanks!

Edit: hrmm.... I posted my specs in my sig. but I can't see them... wonder if everyone else can but I can't? Just in case:

19" Samsung 940B (1280x1024)
Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS
Intel E6600
2 Gig G. SKILL 800 Mhz (PC2 6400)
EVGA 8800 GTS - 640 MB
Zalman 9700
Seagate Barracuda - 320 GB
OCZ 700W PSU

More about : mon worth overclocking

March 13, 2007 4:15:28 PM

It's worth it.

I am currently compiling Topo maps (30x60 Minute series transparent topos for overlay on roadmaps for my Garmin GPS). It takes 4 hours overclocked and 6 hours stock. I save 2 hours per compile! The topo maps that I produce are better than Garmin's topographic maps for the same area.

Video rendering or compression would see similar gains.

Gaming... hmm... some games would benefit but most would not. You might see an absolute increase in FPS in demos, but no noticeable improvement in game play unless you are already flirting with sub-40 fps framerates in the first place.
March 13, 2007 4:40:16 PM

Much depends on your starting Base.

The E4300's are quite slow with a very flow FSB to start.
These scream OC me.

As you move up, you gain less from OCs.

It's not likely your system for what you do is very CPU or Bus bound so you may not gain much.

In my case I have an E4300 that I run at 3.0Ghz.

I was able to OC to 3.2Ghz w/o an issue. (Did not try higher),
but I found the CPU fan got a little noisy so I slowed it down.
Related resources
March 13, 2007 4:47:29 PM

To me it's worth it knowing that I'm getting the most processing power out of my CPU that it can supply.
March 13, 2007 4:52:23 PM

...on the flip side you void warranty, create more heat, more electricity to pay for, shorten life of equipment, more chance of crashing system, more chance of data corruption etc. When you overclock it overclocks more than just the CPU.

I guess if you had a need to get more speed that I might. But for what I do and the games I play I've never really had the need (although I used to overclock my AMD). Computers are so damn fast these days!
March 13, 2007 4:56:20 PM

OCing makes my ePenis bigger :) 
March 13, 2007 5:03:23 PM

For gaming and long life of your rig, overclocking is NOT worth it. Your video card mostly determines the speed of the game as long as you are not using old and slow CPU's. All of the overclocking guides make this pretty clear. Many of these guides can be found on THC.

For legal video and audio editing, copying etc. and for the enthusiast whose hobby is tweeking hardware, much the same as a mechanic would tune a performance car, then OCing can be rewarding. Women often get a breast job for the same reason :lol:  An app that requires file compressions, conversion, etc. will finish sooner on an OC'd rig. But I am not sure even this is worth a 25% loss of CPU life over, say 4 years. If you are wealthy then maybe it is worth it.
March 13, 2007 5:04:59 PM

Quote:
...on the flip side you void warranty, create more heat, more electricity to pay for, shorten life of equipment, more chance of crashing system, more chance of data corruption etc. When you overclock it overclocks more than just the CPU.

I guess if you had a need to get more speed that I might. But for what I do and the games I play I've never really had the need (although I used to overclock my AMD). Computers are so damn fast these days!

How would it void warranty if you make no physical alterations on the cpu/mobo/gpu? Who would ever know?
My rigs run 24/7 OC'd... one has done so for 4 years straight...
March 13, 2007 5:05:08 PM

Quote:

:lol: 

Fo sho!

Thanks for the replies.

That was a pretty cool finding about the topos rdhood! That's a 33% performance increase! Impressive. What are your system specs?

Anyone else have any performance difference findings to share?
March 13, 2007 5:11:18 PM

1) It's not likely to void the warranty. They don't know what speed you were running stuff at.

2) Just because you increase the speed of other components, does not mean they are even OC'd. Std FSB for the E6600 is 533. If you buy DDR2-800 and just about any 965Chipset they support an FSB of 800 or higher w/o being considered an OC.

3) Just because you OC, does not mean you are using more power. It all depends on how you OC. I took my CPU from 1.8 Ghz to 3.0 Ghz and decreased my voltage from Spec. I am able to do this because the 1.8Ghz chip was designed to run at about 3.0Ghz at Stock since it's the same chip as the E6800 from an engineering capacity viewpoint. So I take it to the speed limit and then cut back power to the lower design limit.
I may be a bit lucky in getting both but I am.

4) The issue of Extreme OverClocking is another matter. This is one in which the chips and various components are pushed beyond their design limits. When this happens, you are far more likely to encounter the problems you stated. Simply configuring Hardware that is UnderClocked from the Manufacturer to run at full speed is not nearly as dangerous.
March 13, 2007 5:18:21 PM

Quote:

My P4 2.4c system has been running for almost 4 years overclocked to 3.0-3.2 with a voltage increase of .025v, I see no change in temp, my electric bill has remained the same, my data is perfectly fine, and my system is 100% rock solid. As for the warrenty concern: I have RMAed parts that have been overclocked and I got my new parts with no fuss. The manufacturer will not even know that a component has been overclocked unless their is physical signs of abuse.

You are posting overclocking myths to scare people. Give facts and let him decide.
March 13, 2007 5:47:14 PM

Quote:

How would it void warranty if you make no physical alterations on the cpu/mobo/gpu? Who would ever know?

They definately CAN tell if a GPU has been overclocked, probably a cpu and mobo too. They have ways...

No they don't!
Story time children, gather 'round.
Once upon a time in a old Florida trailer park. The prince of computing wanted a new video card. So he ordered a nice new shiny 6800GT. Now this 6800GT ran great and overclocked way past Ultra speed, but then the problem struck. The prince was plagued with graphical errors and lock-ups. The prince then RMAed the card and was worried that he may not get a new card for he had overclocked it a voided the great warrenty. But low and behold he was reimbursed the price of the card and he ordered another 6800GT from a different manufacturer. This new 6800GT was plagued with the same problem of graphical errors and lock-ups. Now some might believe that the prince's overclocking was the cause of the issue, but no. The dreaded Infenion had produced a bad group of DDR3 chips. The Prince once again returned the card and was again worried about the warrenty, and was once again reimbursed. He then ordered his 3rd 6800GT and made sure that it had Samsung chips. And to this day the 6800GT runs overclocked and the prince fragged lots of peasants. The end.

The moral of the story is to not listen to people who do not state fact or try to prove their point by saying things like, "They have ways". Listen to experience and research myths. Do this and you will be rewarded with the truth.
March 13, 2007 6:18:18 PM

Quote:
They definately CAN tell if a GPU has been overclocked, probably a cpu and mobo too. They have ways...
That's not true; I've killed multiple 6800GTs overclocking, and newegg accepted the RMA.
March 13, 2007 6:22:42 PM

But...it must be true, cause he didn't state any facts or experience and he also said that..."They have ways". :roll: I hope that you are no stranger to sarcasm.

MrsBytch is full of s**t.
March 13, 2007 6:37:58 PM

Quote:

How the hell are they supposed to know if you ramped it up? they won't know is the CORRECT answer, there is no little man inside screaming "this dirty motherf***er overclocked me!!!!" there is no memory inside that stores information about what clock speed you ran it at or how the voltage was changed. if you break the f***ing chip open and start sautering sh!t or you fry the thing from overvolting it of course they are going to think something is amiss...there are physical manifestations of what you have done!

i hate people that make sh!t up just cause they think they know what they are talking about... :evil:  :evil: 
March 13, 2007 6:53:50 PM

Ooooo! You got burned...burned I say! :lol: 
March 13, 2007 6:58:08 PM

Quote:
They have ways...

These are the same ways "they" watch you through your television and keep track of you with hidden implanted microchips monitored by secret spy satellites. The "black helicopters" are also controlled by the very "they" that are keeping tabs on you.
All of this is true - it must be - I saw it on the internet!!!!
March 13, 2007 7:07:58 PM

Did you like my story time?
March 13, 2007 7:09:26 PM

how dare you type such blasphemies! now 'they' know we are all here!!! omg, run for the hills!!! 'they' are coming for us!!!

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

This paranoid spamming post brought to you by the letters D and A...as in DumbAss make-shit-er-upper *cough* MrsBytch *cough*
March 13, 2007 7:19:53 PM

0.o

So........ overclocking's fun & easy for the whole family! Got it. :lol: 
March 13, 2007 7:25:25 PM

well if you can include an excellent story for storytime like adambomb did then yes, its definitely a family night activity, something for all generations to enjoy...grandpa bitching about how computers didnt exist when he was a youngin' all the way down to the newborn sucking on the computer controlled bottle-o-matic of tomorrow

party on wayne!
March 13, 2007 7:48:29 PM

nice....niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice move, you attack the place where i happen to live with a poop joke, that was original. well since you want to run your mouth about doing your homework, how about you do your homework and read up on all of that fancy technology is the largest industry in utah and how companies like dell, hp, micron, sun, intel, ebay, overstock.com etc all have offices / plants / call centers here...so i guess you need to stop running your mouth about sh!t you know nothing about...like the overclocking...cause according to you there is a little gas meter like contraption on the side of each chip that records how much you overclock so that the bad bad man can accuse you of doing the bad thing of getting your money's worth out of a chip. how about you give some documented fact about how they track it, homeworkboy, instead of resorting to baseless accusations and slanderous rhetoric that just makes you look like more of an idiot than you already are?

oh...and quoting my reply to someone else's post and not yours as the basis of your post just makes you look like you are too stupid to read a forum
March 13, 2007 7:56:37 PM

So if I understand you correctly; because "they" said that overclocking will void the warranty, that means that there is a little man inside that screams "this dirty motherf***er overclocked me". (props to jrnyfan for that line, it cracked me up)

Where is your evidence, proof, something other than you says that "they have ways". What are they telepathic.

Heyyou and I have personal experience with this. What do you have? BS that's what.

Instead of trying to take a swing at someone, you should do your homework before you make ridiculous claims.
March 13, 2007 8:19:19 PM

If you dont overclock then what the hell are you doing here???

Overclocking improved my FPS on Battlefield 2142 by 50%.
Yes that's right 50%!!!
The game is a real CPU hog.

By the way when you turn all the candy in Oblivion every fps counts!
March 13, 2007 8:19:47 PM

you raise a good point adambomb, 'they' said it will void the warranty so 'they' must have some way of knowing...horses#!t. the companies are just covering their asses, its corporate legal nonsense plain and simple. right after 9/11 dell had, as the final question on their website for purchasing a computer, 'is this computer going to be used in the commission of terrorist acts?' are you kidding me? who is the dumbass that checks yes to that box? why would they ask that? cause is all about CYA and that's all that nonsense about overclocking = no warranty is about...cause otherwise every n00b out there would overclock the hell out of it, fry the sumbitch and get a new one and start all over again. if anything, that disclaimer by the companies has spawned the overclocking community who are dedicated to finding out how to overclock with out frying the chip cause they know they wont get a replacement when they overvolt the chip and it melts in the socket. come to think of it...that's where we probably got things like better voltage regulators, water cooling set-ups, advanced air-cooling, cases with 40 bizzillion fan hookups etc from...all in the effort to keep things cool and working right when overclocking does happen...

so i guess thank you is in order for those disclaimers! hot damn...
March 13, 2007 8:24:14 PM

Quote:

Yes that's right 50%!!!

Cool, some results! Nice Nada!

Interesting the way this thread turned out... learned some things... and a few choice words. :lol: 
March 13, 2007 11:54:59 PM

Also you may want to overclock to make your DDR800 memory run with 800 mhz.
Given that C2D processors today only have a 1066 FSB, if you buy a DDR800 memory using the default settings, it would only run with 667 mhz and not 800 mhz.

Considering that DDR800 sticks are much expensive than DDR 667, you may want to make your money worth it and get the DDR800 to perform to its slated capacity.

If you don't overlock that extra bucks you spent to buy that DDR800 memory would otherwise be wasted.
March 14, 2007 1:04:21 PM

Quote:

Yes that's right 50%!!!

Cool, some results! Nice Nada!

Interesting the way this thread turned out... learned some things... and a few choice words. :lol: 

There are plenty of results that show overclocking makes a difference. With games it's a toss up, some games are cpu intensive and some are not. For that games that are not cpu intensive you can always overclock your video card and make a difference there. I see though that you are using an 8800 and 6600. According to some benchmarks your 6600 should bottleneck your 8800, if you were to overclock the 6600 you would alleviate that bottleneck. You should be able to get your 66 up to 3.2 with little or no added voltage. Set your fsb to 400, cpu multiplier of x8, and memory ratio of 1:1. That will put you at 3.2 with your ram at 800. Run orthos to check system stability, if it errors then raise the vcore by .025v and retest. Continue this until it is stable, but it should only need a tiny amount if any to be stable at that speed.
March 14, 2007 2:43:58 PM

Quote:
Well since your from the hills, Utah that is, I doubt they know much about anything that goes on there. Unless they find the poop stained corncobs under your bed of course.
However, where the rest of us come from theres a thing called technology. There are ways of knowing if a chip has been run past what its designed to run. Thats why all warranties state they do not cover overclocking.
Believe it or not kiddies......now get your homework done or no afterdinner pc for you...

I'd sure like to know how you figure you know where the rest of us are from. Last I checked it's not underwater. I find it interesting that you can make fun of someone for the state they may or may not choose to live in when you can't even be honest about where you live. And like Adam and jrnyfan, I too would like some info on just how "They" are going to know what speed my CPU was clocked at in my computer if I send it back. But, since you are obviously a hardcore user with extensive experience overclocking I'm sure the answer will be in your next post. Probably just waiting for the right time to drop that bomb, huh? By the way, could you really not tell the difference between a Sempron and an OC'ed E6300? REALLY? 8O
March 14, 2007 3:06:25 PM

Thanks AdamBomb42... will give it a go.
March 14, 2007 3:09:39 PM

Quote:
Well since your from the hills, Utah that is, I doubt they know much about anything that goes on there. Unless they find the poop stained corncobs under your bed of course.
However, where the rest of us come from theres a thing called technology. There are ways of knowing if a chip has been run past what its designed to run. Thats why all warranties state they do not cover overclocking.
Believe it or not kiddies......now get your homework done or no afterdinner pc for you...
I love it; you try to insult his intelligence, but do you even read your own posts?

FACT: I have killed two 6800GTs by overclocking. One card was replaced under the eVga warranty, the second one was RMA'd through newegg and I received a replacement card a week later.
March 14, 2007 3:30:50 PM

Aside from the inanities of Mrs. Bytch, here's my take on overclocking and cpus.

A given cpu comes from the factory guarenteed to run at a given clock speed. The factory gaurentees this, but nothing more. If you want a guarenteed higher clock, you have to spend more for the factory cpu. At the same time, it is usually possible to overclock a cpu to the standard of that higher cost cpu from the factory, but there are no guarentees in this. As a result, one person will be able to overclock his cpu by 400 mhz, while another may get 1000mhz.

So why overclock? Because I don't like to spend money that I don't have to. If I can get the same performance as a higher rated, more expensive factory cpu from a cheaper cpu, then I will. It does make a difference in games and general performance. If it didn't, we'd still be using cpus with speeds of 4 mhz, like computers had many years ago. As it is, by overclocking, a person can extend the useful life of the cpu because it will then run games, do various apps, etc that it would otherwise not be able to do fast enough.

Oh yes, does overclocking burn out a cpu faster? Sure, it might reduce cpu life from ten years to seven years (example only), but I normally replace a cpu anyway before burnout happens. Can anyone at a factory figure out if I RMA'd a overclocked cpu? Not unless there are obvious burn marks on it, like from cranking up the voltage way to high. All in all, I see few disadvantages and lots of advantages in overclocking. The only caveat is that just because one person gets a given overclock, doesn't mean you will be able to get the same overclock. Of course, you might get even more of an overclock if you have a better cpu.
March 14, 2007 4:23:30 PM

Quote:

So does buying a $600 video card and having the highest possible benchmark scores! Just look at people's signatures here.
March 14, 2007 4:41:10 PM

Time is money
March 14, 2007 5:09:07 PM

Quote:
you attack the place where i happen to live

Let him attack. Utah is an incredible state, very beautiful and unique. Besides, you don't want Mike to open up a turkey ranch next door to you, do ya?

About the OP's question: I agree with the poster that talked about his CPU intensive apps. If you mostly surf or game, your real world gains will probably be minimal and for gaming, focus on the CPU. If you run apps where you fihnd yourself waiting for long periods while the CPU is crunching, then you'll see gains that are nearly proportional to the clock increase.
March 14, 2007 5:09:40 PM

Time is money? So you're saying that a game that plays at 300 fps allows you to get in ten times more action than one running at 30 fps? I don't question what you say... I question the context in which it was said.
March 14, 2007 5:33:42 PM

Is it worth it?

Well that depends on your definition of overclocking.

If you think overclocking means buying water cooling just to get another 25% out of a certain CPU that has been found out to be a good overclocker, then i guess its debateable.

If however you are nu-age (c2d) and overclocking means sticking the FSB up 50% on a stock fan, then damn right it's worth it.
March 14, 2007 5:46:52 PM

don't be stup...., ridiculous, of course it is...., DUH???, no brainer, a give me, freebie, just don't go crazy excess and you'll be better than fine. :wink:
March 15, 2007 12:40:40 AM

Quote:
You should be able to get your 66 up to 3.2 with little or no added voltage. Set your fsb to 400, cpu multiplier of x8, and memory ratio of 1:1. That will put you at 3.2 with your ram at 800. Run orthos to check system stability, if it errors then raise the vcore by .025v and retest. Continue this until it is stable, but it should only need a tiny amount if any to be stable at that speed

Ok... got into the bios, went to the FSB-Memory Config menu. There was an option for the FSB-Memory Clock mode. It was set to auto, the two other choices are linked & un-linked.

If I select the 'linked,' it just gives me the option to modify the FSB (QDR), Mhz (between 533-3000). Stock setting = 1066.7 And, I can set the memory/FSB ratio.

If I select the 'un-linked,' I could set the FSB & the Mem (DDR) Mhz. Mem Mhz can be set between 400-2600. Stock setting @ 800.

How am I supposed to get my FSB to 400 Mhz when it will only allow me to go to 533? I didn't actually try typing in 400 in the blank... will it comply if I try it?

Or.... are you saying when I set my ratio to 1:1, I should set my mem Mhz to 400 & since it is linked to the FSB 1:1, it will in turn drop my FSB Mhz to 400 since it only gives me an option to go down to 533 Mhz?

Or, am I way off? :? Please forgive my ignorance... (that's why I'm here.. :D  )

Thanks!
March 15, 2007 5:59:39 PM

The QDR stands for quad-data rate, so to get your base fsb you divide 1066 and 4, then you get 266. So to reach 400 you will need to enter 1600 for your fsb (QDR). This BIOS is a bit different than a lot of boards out there, most show the base clock instead of the effective clock.
March 15, 2007 6:04:43 PM

Thanks Adam, I'll give it a go.
March 15, 2007 6:44:31 PM

I just realized that I sat and fought with the stupidities of MrsBytch and forgot to actualy post something relevant to this topic :lol: 

overclocking is worth it IMHO. I just got married and I know the wife would kill me if I decided to drop $ on a new C2D mobo, proc and RAM...and since I value my life, I pleaded for help amongst the members of this forum and was rewarded with some help at overclocking my proc. I don't see any difference in games as im running a 8800gts already but I see a difference in my compression times and in my general boot-up and program running times.

What it boils down to is this: does the risk of frying my proc and losing the X amount I paid worth not paying Y to get one clocked at that setting from the factory in the first place

Good Luck!

AMD X2 4200+ @2.5ghz
2GB G.Skill (2x1GB) DDR400
evga 8800gts
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Rosewill 600W
March 16, 2007 12:02:59 PM

I'd say it is depending on what you do, and your system. If your not gonna get much out of OCing your system, then no. If you have something like a 4300, then yea.

Also some games are cpu intensive, so it helps to OC in that situation.

I'm not a big fan of OC, but it helps. I like to stick with my moto " If you have to overclock, then its time to upgrade".
March 16, 2007 1:03:28 PM

Why spend more money when the chip will overclock? I saved a little over $200 by getting an Opteron 170 and overclocking it to 2.8 instead of buying an fx-62.
March 16, 2007 3:20:36 PM

i think that you would notice a difference in Sup COm as it is very heavily cpu dependant but games are generally more gpu dependant so in them you wouldnt notice anything.

as mentioned previously tho you'll probably notice most difference in encoding times etc

however Ocing the Gpu this can just abou get you 10% more FPS which afaik could mean the difference between 2x or 4x AA (obviously depending on Card and game) or whether you could turn on HDR or not (i couldnt really turnon HDR with my 6800gt in farcry before OCing i could however after)
March 16, 2007 3:24:57 PM

yakyb brings up a good point, who says we should only be talking about CPU's here, overclocking the GPU often has more effect in games that then CPU does. i remember overclocking my 6800gt to well over what the 6800ultra was spec'd at and seeing very good results, hell i stayed with my 5700ultra for another year becuase i replaced the heatsink with the arctic cooler nv whatever it was and overclocked the hell out of it...i think i managed another 2k in 3dmark 03 at the time.

of course...becoming independantly wealthy would solve all these problems cause then you could by the top of the line stuff and not have to worry about overclocking...but i think i still would cause im a bad person at heart :lol: 
March 16, 2007 4:00:10 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I notice no difference between my E6300 at 1.86ghz and at 3.4ghz.
I really dont notice any difference from my Sempron64 to my C2D either when it comes to gaming, surfing the net, etc.
Benchmarks may say ones better than the other, but to the human eye and ear theres not much difference in normal day to day computer stuff. Compiling large files or video (top maps) etc, yeah but not really in normal day to day activities.
:arrow: You just summed it all up in one paragraph,good point.
March 16, 2007 5:29:48 PM

The sales (percentage wise) of parts to overclockers are so small I doubt the manufacturers care about overclockers, they probably only put the proviso in to scare the meek off from doing it, encouraging them to buy more expensive hardware. After all, it costs Intel exactly the same to make a E6300 as it does a E6700. If you’re stupid enough to pay over double for the same chip just coz it didn’t get stamped with ‘E6700’ – fine, go-ahead; Yes quality tests pick the better chips out for the high end CPUs, but they’re still all the same CPU. If you wanted to get really pedantic – How did Intel find out that some of the CPUs will be a E6300? They would have ran it hard on a bench test and it failed the "I wanna be a E6700" test – so it’s already been over-clocked before it gets sent to you – is the warranty already void? :D  I started overclocking in the days where you'd have to solder a new crystal chip into your motherboard, in those days you couldn't get away with burning out and returning hardware – but then the hardware cost more than people back then! AMD built it's reputation and user-base by not being sniffy about overclocking - the only time they’d get really pissed off is if OEMs sell overclocked stuff as standard - then they'll get the hump as they’ll be losing mega bucks.

As for telling that it's been over-clocked - how? Unless (with older AMDs) you've physically torched the CPU from removing the heatsink while the CPU is live - they cannot tell. With broken motherboards - perhaps - because they could remove and read the BIOS chip and see what your settings were, but that would cost the company more than the cost of replacing your board. If you've got a mate with the right kit - you could remove and backup the BIOS when new then restore it if you break the board - but then the CPU not the motherboard is going to be the most likely thing to break. All in all the manufacturers don't care about overclockers, you're still buying their brand which is good news for them - you'll only void your warranty if you're stupid enough to admit what you've done. You're innocent until proven guilty! Finding proof costs more than PC components, companies are there to make money. Graphics cards like CPUs aren’t aware of how fast they’ve been running – burn them out at will! Electronics still need to "burn in" all manufacturers expect some stuff to break first use.

I’m a Cubase user – Cubase VSTs eat CPU – overclocking over the years has saved me a fortune in upgrades.

Viva Overclockers!
March 17, 2007 11:12:38 AM

I'm confused now. Everything I have read tells me that at stock, C2D runs at an FSB of 266 (Intel hype-shite 1066). So, RAM at 533 would have an FSB of 266, a 1:1 ratio. However, to reach the (hype-shite) 1066, you run two sticks in dual channel, doubling your (effective) RAM FSB to 1066.

Now, DDR2 800 in dual channel is effectively running at 1600 mhz, right? With an FSB of 400. This is exactly the same as a C2D at 3.2ghz with an FSB of 400 and a multi of 8, no?

So where did you get a 3:2 ratio from? Surely both the RAM and CPU have an FSB of 400 and an effective FSB of 1600, i.e 1:1?

To the OP: you need to lock the FSB of the PCIe and PCI slots at 100 and 33mhz respectively (I think) otherwise you are overclocking your GPU and any cards which are on your mobo as well (lol)
March 19, 2007 12:12:29 PM

You are confusing some things. 1066 is not referring to your RAM, that is the effective front side bus. The actual fsb is 266, but it has a quad-pumped bus meaning that it can execute 4 operations per cycle. The ram runs at ratios to the base clock speed and then doubled, hence DDR (double-data rate). With a base clock of 266 at 1:1 you get 533, 4:5=677, and 2:3=800. The clock speeds have nothing to do with dual-channel, only bandwidth.

At 400 base fsb you will have an effective 1600 fsb. If you were to set your ram at 1:1 ratio you would get 800 effective memory.

I hope that this clears things up.
!