Need help reducing noise from PC

jphillips1868

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I recently built a PC. Other than a motherboard that died after about a week, the build went well.

The components I used are:

Coolermaster CM Stacker 830 Evo.
E6600 (stock cooler)
EVGA Nforce 680i Motherboard
EVGA Nvida 8880 GTX
2 gigs of Crucial Ballistix DDR 1000 Ram
2 150gig 10000rpm Raptors (not raided)
850W Real Power Pro

After RMAing and replacing the motherboard, the system seems stable, at least for now.

However, both before and after the motherboard replacement, something in the system causes my ears to ring. Its not that loud, but I believe there some component is making a high pitched sound that is hurting my ears. I even went a bought a a noise meter from Radio Shack. The system never gets above 65 decibles, at least not that the meter can measure.

I have set the northbridge fan at 50%. I have placed case on top of a thick blank. The fans on the system are all low decidble.

Any suggestions? I feel like I cannot safely use the system without ear protection, which makes hearing sound in games or using team speak/vent a problem.

I have considered the getting a new case. The CM 830 is a very open desing. Perhaps a more enclosed case would do a better job of dampening the sounds.

Are there aftermarket HSF fans that not as noisy as the stock one?
I have a Tuniq Tower 120 which I decided not to use I when put the system back together because of the noise and because of problems with the backplate intefering with capacictors on the back of the motherboard.

I have also considered just building an enclosure for the case say out of plywood and lining the inside with some type of acoustic insulation, but I am concerned about what that will do to the tempature of the air ambient air surrounding the PC.

And then there is water cooling as an option, but I feel like I am bit out of my league when it comes to that and I assume water cooling won't do anything to dampen noise from the powersupply if that is culprit.

jphillips1868

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Thanks guys.

As for the fan controller, I don't think its the case fan. The case fans I have are all pretty quite. Low RPM and low noise models.

The HSF is controlled by the motherboard and speeds up or down based on tempature.

That's the first I had heard about noise coming from the video card. I will look into that.