Adding drivers to an existing image

We have a number of Toshiba laptops, some with a Wireless LAN card
installed, some without.

We have a RIS image that services these just fine, but this was based
on a laptop without the wireless card. Hence, We get a 'Found New
Hardware' dialog appear on those machines with the card installed.

I thought I could simply add the relevant driver files to the $oem$\$1
structure in the same way I added all my NIC/display/etc. drivers
originally.

These files are tested first to ensure that the hardware can be
isntalled from them successfully, so I am sure it isn't falling over
due to the wrong files beign provided.

So, I did this, restarted the relevant services on my server, but not
only does the driver not install when I use this RIS image, but the
Drivers folder that exist under $oem$\$1 and get copied to the C:\
drive on the laptop does not contain the Wireless driver folder. It
has all the others - NIC/Display/etc. - just not this one I added to
the image manually.

I thought that when you installed a RIS image it was plug'n'play and
so would look into the $oem$ structure for any drivers it needs - how
come it isn't?

What am I missing here - or have I lost the plot completely?!

Many thanks for any help or clarification you can offer.

Cheers

Rob

The RIS process will add the drivers that it thinks it needs to the C:
drive. Maybe your SIF in the image doesn't point to the folder? Another
thing you can try is to just copy the new drivers folder directly into the
RIS image, ie:

\\server\REMINST\Setup\English\Images\XPProSp1\i386\wifi

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Rob Savage"
> We have a number of Toshiba laptops, some with a Wireless LAN card
> installed, some without.
>
> We have a RIS image that services these just fine, but this was based
> on a laptop without the wireless card. Hence, We get a 'Found New
> Hardware' dialog appear on those machines with the card installed.
>
> I thought I could simply add the relevant driver files to the $oem$\$1
> structure in the same way I added all my NIC/display/etc. drivers
> originally.
>
> These files are tested first to ensure that the hardware can be
> isntalled from them successfully, so I am sure it isn't falling over
> due to the wrong files beign provided.
>
> So, I did this, restarted the relevant services on my server, but not
> only does the driver not install when I use this RIS image, but the
> Drivers folder that exist under $oem$\$1 and get copied to the C:\
> drive on the laptop does not contain the Wireless driver folder. It
> has all the others - NIC/Display/etc. - just not this one I added to
> the image manually.
>
> I thought that when you installed a RIS image it was plug'n'play and
> so would look into the $oem$ structure for any drivers it needs - how
> come it isn't?
>
> What am I missing here - or have I lost the plot completely?!
>
> Many thanks for any help or clarification you can offer.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

i have similar problem. Could you check if you have proper record in
registry which should be added by oempnppath parameter from the sif file.

i thing that if you use riprep image the omepnpdrives parameter is ignored
:-(
and so the $oem$ folder is.

"Rob Savage" <info_removethis_@robsavage.com> píse v diskusním príspevku
> We have a number of Toshiba laptops, some with a Wireless LAN card
> installed, some without.
>
> We have a RIS image that services these just fine, but this was based
> on a laptop without the wireless card. Hence, We get a 'Found New
> Hardware' dialog appear on those machines with the card installed.
>
> I thought I could simply add the relevant driver files to the $oem$\$1
> structure in the same way I added all my NIC/display/etc. drivers
> originally.
>
> These files are tested first to ensure that the hardware can be
> isntalled from them successfully, so I am sure it isn't falling over
> due to the wrong files beign provided.
>
> So, I did this, restarted the relevant services on my server, but not
> only does the driver not install when I use this RIS image, but the
> Drivers folder that exist under $oem$\$1 and get copied to the C:\
> drive on the laptop does not contain the Wireless driver folder. It
> has all the others - NIC/Display/etc. - just not this one I added to
> the image manually.
>
> I thought that when you installed a RIS image it was plug'n'play and
> so would look into the $oem$ structure for any drivers it needs - how
> come it isn't?
>
> What am I missing here - or have I lost the plot completely?!
>
> Many thanks for any help or clarification you can offer.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

Hmmm - my device path isn't right either. It only shows some of my
driver folders, and the wireless fodler is one of 'em.

Is this a limit on the registry value's length? My list is exactly 130
characters - at least, the list it's bother to pull through is. My
original path is another 59 characters.

My SIF entry is :

[Unattended]
OemPreinstall = yes
OemPnpDriversPath = "Drivers\NIC;Drivers\Display;Drivers\Chipset;
Drivers\Audio;Drivers\Modem;Drivers\Wireless"
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

My registry key (on a laptop RIS-ed with this image) :

%SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\NIC;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Display;
%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Chipset;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Audio

(I've split some of those lines up for readability)

Let me know if you get anywhere with this - I'll do likewise, of course.

Cheers

Rob

"Martin Stejskal" <martin.stejskal> wrote in message news:<u1QleJseEHA.2560@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> i have similar problem. Could you check if you have proper record in
> registry which should be added by oempnppath parameter from the sif file.
>
> i thing that if you use riprep image the omepnpdrives parameter is ignored
> :-(
> and so the $oem$ folder is.

FYI, I use sysprep, but I have all of my drivers path folders in the
DevicePath registry key. I was having way too much "hit or miss" issues
with OemPnpDriversPath= so just decided to kill the middle man and put them
directly in DevicePath. There is a limit of characters on the Oempnp path,
but i dont know of one for the DevicePath=

"Rob Savage" <info_removethis_@robsavage.com> wrote in message
> Hmmm - my device path isn't right either. It only shows some of my
> driver folders, and the wireless fodler is one of 'em.
>
> Is this a limit on the registry value's length? My list is exactly 130
> characters - at least, the list it's bother to pull through is. My
> original path is another 59 characters.
>

> My SIF entry is :
>
> [Unattended]
> OemPreinstall = yes
> OemPnpDriversPath = "Drivers\NIC;Drivers\Display;Drivers\Chipset;
> Drivers\Audio;Drivers\Modem;Drivers\Wireless"
> DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
>

> My registry key (on a laptop RIS-ed with this image) :
>
> %SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\NIC;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Display;
> %SystemDrive%\Drivers\Chipset;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Audio
>
> (I've split some of those lines up for readability)
>
> Let me know if you get anywhere with this - I'll do likewise, of course.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob
>

> "Martin Stejskal" <martin.stejskal> wrote in message
> > i have similar problem. Could you check if you have proper record in
> > registry which should be added by oempnppath parameter from the sif
file.

> > i thing that if you use riprep image the omepnpdrives parameter is
ignored
> > :-(
> > and so the $oem$ folder is.

Problem is probably either permissions on that specific directory (hence it
not copying) or the binlsvc service needs to be restarted to get the
groveller service going again.

"Rob Savage" wrote:

> We have a number of Toshiba laptops, some with a Wireless LAN card
> installed, some without.
>
> We have a RIS image that services these just fine, but this was based
> on a laptop without the wireless card. Hence, We get a 'Found New
> Hardware' dialog appear on those machines with the card installed.
>
> I thought I could simply add the relevant driver files to the $oem$\$1
> structure in the same way I added all my NIC/display/etc. drivers
> originally.
>
> These files are tested first to ensure that the hardware can be
> isntalled from them successfully, so I am sure it isn't falling over
> due to the wrong files beign provided.
>
> So, I did this, restarted the relevant services on my server, but not
> only does the driver not install when I use this RIS image, but the
> Drivers folder that exist under $oem$\$1 and get copied to the C:\
> drive on the laptop does not contain the Wireless driver folder. It
> has all the others - NIC/Display/etc. - just not this one I added to
> the image manually.
>
> I thought that when you installed a RIS image it was plug'n'play and
> so would look into the $oem$ structure for any drivers it needs - how
> come it isn't?
>
> What am I missing here - or have I lost the plot completely?!
>
> Many thanks for any help or clarification you can offer.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

Thanks for the replies.

The DevicePath theory : I know the registry key is called DevicePath,
but couldn't find this setup file key documented anywhere so simply
tried adding a line identical to the OemPnpDriversPath one but changed
the key from 'OemPnpDriversPath' to 'DevicePath' within the
[unattended] section.

I also tried removing the OemPnpDriversPath key and set the
OemPreInstall key to 'no' but none of this improved the situation.

Permissions are identical on all my drivers folders.

I restart the binlsvc & SIS after every change I make. I retried this
again, but to no positive effect.

So - the issue remains - how do I get additional drivers onto an
existing RIS image?

My boss - who I am selling on the idea of RIS - sees this as an issue,
i.e. if we have to create a brand new image simply to add a few driver
files...

Cheers

Rob

Neil Cole <NeilCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<C3BF0717-D859-4304-B20D-B12996254A14@microsoft.com>...
> Problem is probably either permissions on that specific directory (hence it
> not copying) or the binlsvc service needs to be restarted to get the
> groveller service going again.

The sif answer file should read
OemPnpDriversPath =
"Drivers\NIC";"Drivers\Display";"Drivers\Chipset";"Drivers\Audio";"Drivers\Modem";"Drivers\Wireless"
or
OemPnpDriversPath = Drivers\NIC;Drivers\Display;Drivers\Chipset;
Drivers\Audio;Drivers\Modem;Drivers\Wireless
not
OemPnpDriversPath = "Drivers\NIC;Drivers\Display;Drivers\Chipset;
Drivers\Audio;Drivers\Modem;Drivers\Wireless".

i.e. Check where the quotation marks are.
Also, check that the drivers are actually the right ones - copy the drivers
folder structure to the laptop and install from those actual files - just to
make sure that the drivers will actually work. If you have any more problems
drop me an email.