socket 754 cpus and moniter quiery : )

Hi i have a socket 754 motherboard with at the moment a amd 64 3000+ cpu and 1G of ram corsair. I was hoping if somebody could recomend a new cpu that is faster than what i have but affordable eg around 50 £ ish(or as much money as needed ) . I use the my pc for making music and so need a fast cpu to run my music software .

i was also wondering can i fit more onto a 20 " widscreen monitor than a 19 " normal?

thanks for any help.
4 answers Last reply
More about socket cpus moniter quiery
  1. well... the cheapest cpu upgrade would be to just overclock your cpu, with a 3rd party hsf for noise reduction, unless you would prefer not to OC (and possibly just add more memory if needed)

i 'believe' a 20" widescreen has a 5:4 aspect ratio (thus different native resolutions supported), and a normal 19" has a 4:3 aspect ratio (supports standard native resolutions)... all in all though, yes. you will be able to fit more on a 20" widescreen... youll have to ask about just how much more though, since im not sure myself
  2. Socket 754 is ancient, your not going to find any new procs for your board. If you absolutely cant upgrade your mobo as well your best bet to find a better cpu is on ebay. They should be dirt cheap now a days, even the fastest cpu avalible for 754 (Athlon 64 3700+) should only be a few bucks.

If you can afford to upgrade, trash your entire system. I mean, you dont even need a C2D, a Pentuim D 805 or a socket AM2 X2 3600+ will look like a super computer comparded to yours. Getting A Core 2 Duo would be even better, even the lowly E4300 would almost triple your processing power.
  3. On the socket 754 you can go upto a 3700+, if you can find one. You probably wont be able to find something faster and a reasonable cost, maybe e-bay.

It depends on the monitors. The important thing is resolution. A 19in with a resolution of 1600x1200 will have more pixels on it than a 20in with a resolution of 1680x1050.

To find the pixels on the screen just treat that x as a multiplier.
    eg 1600x1200=1,920,000
    1680x1050=1,764,000

If the 19in has a resolution of 1280x1024, then the 20in would be much better.
  4. Quote:
    Hi i have a socket 754 motherboard with at the moment a amd 64 3000+ cpu and 1G of ram corsair. I was hoping if somebody could recomend a new cpu that is faster than what i have but affordable eg around 50 £ ish(or as much money as needed ) . I use the my pc for making music and so need a fast cpu to run my music software .

i was also wondering can i fit more onto a 20 " widscreen monitor than a 19 " normal?

thanks for any help.

Well, since as many people noted, the 754 is getting increasingly old arch but it's still overall decent and if you can't afford a larger upgrade than the CPU, just check if your motherboard is a good overclocker and for $50 you can find on newegg this A64 3200+:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103035
    that aside from being 20% faster then your 3000+ is of the newer Venice core (most probably your 3000+ is an older and less OC-able Newcastle). Venices comfortably overclock between 2.5 and 2.7GHz, even on stock cooler without any problems and that is a lot better than your stock 2.0GHz .
    Anything else like the 3700+ (highest clocked S754 chip) would be too expensive and still worse performer then the above CPU slightly overclocked.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Socket Product