Closed

Reverse number lookup

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

I'd like to know if anybody knows of any free online reverse cellphone
# lookup sites which will tell you the company who owns the phone
number.

Given that number portability is now widely used, I understand it may
not be too reliable.
12 answers Last reply
More about reverse number lookup
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    "M. D. Borca" <marius@deuteronomy.us> wrote in message news:h01ns0tq2pfvg405ap28i4bnkuo4aekpg2@4ax.com...
    > I'd like to know if anybody knows of any free online reverse
    > cellphone # lookup sites which will tell you the company who
    > owns the phone number.
    >
    > Given that number portability is now widely used, I understand
    > it may not be too reliable.

    This should give you the name of the telco who has the number:
    http://www.fonefinder.net/index.php
    You can't get the subscriber name for a cellphone number (yet).
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    Interesting. It shows my 919 607 number as owned by GTE mobile net and when I click on that link it goes to Verizon web page. Bu my
    carrier is Cingular.

    "L David Matheny" <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> wrote in message news:332623F3rmqmbU1@individual.net...
    > "M. D. Borca" <marius@deuteronomy.us> wrote in message news:h01ns0tq2pfvg405ap28i4bnkuo4aekpg2@4ax.com...
    >> I'd like to know if anybody knows of any free online reverse
    >> cellphone # lookup sites which will tell you the company who
    >> owns the phone number.
    >>
    >> Given that number portability is now widely used, I understand
    >> it may not be too reliable.
    >>
    > This should give you the name of the telco who has the number:
    > http://www.fonefinder.net/index.php
    > You can't get the subscriber name for a cellphone number (yet).

  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    N Hamilton wrote:

    > Interesting. It shows my 919 607 number as owned by GTE mobile net and when I click on that link it goes to Verizon web page. Bu my
    > carrier is Cingular.

    Not all numbers in the 919-607-xxxx range are owned by GTE, some are
    owned by other carriers, including Cingular. You'll need to provide at
    least one more digit 1xxx or 2xxx, etc to get the precision you're
    expecting.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    That database is out of date. Try
    http://www.attwireless.com/lnp/check_eligibility.jhtml

    steve

    In article <f7Tyd.870$NH2.71461@twister.southeast.rr.com>, N Hamilton
    <no_spamham@no_spamnc.rr.com> wrote:

    > Interesting. It shows my 919 607 number as owned by GTE mobile net and when I
    > click on that link it goes to Verizon web page. Bu my
    > carrier is Cingular.
    >
    > "L David Matheny" <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> wrote in message
    > > "M. D. Borca" <marius@deuteronomy.us> wrote in message
    > >> I'd like to know if anybody knows of any free online reverse
    > >> cellphone # lookup sites which will tell you the company who
    > >> owns the phone number.
    > >>
    > >> Given that number portability is now widely used, I understand
    > >> it may not be too reliable.
    > >>
    > > This should give you the name of the telco who has the number:
    > > http://www.fonefinder.net/index.php
    > > You can't get the subscriber name for a cellphone number (yet).

  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    In article <cqhbfn$9la@library1.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
    wrote:

    > N Hamilton wrote:
    >
    > > Interesting. It shows my 919 607 number as owned by GTE mobile net and when
    > > I click on that link it goes to Verizon web page. Bu my
    > > carrier is Cingular.
    > >

    > Not all numbers in the 919-607-xxxx range are owned by GTE, some are
    > owned by other carriers, including Cingular. You'll need to provide at
    > least one more digit 1xxx or 2xxx, etc to get the precision you're
    > expecting.

    And now with number porting it could belong to anyone. ATT has a look
    up form which I posted a minute ago to this thread, the data is
    presumably from the DBs maintained for that purpose. it shows my number
    as belonging to t-mobile, I ported from ATT a couple months ago.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    Yes, the ATTWS site is defenitely seemingly more precise than the
    other databases. Thanks for the post Steve.

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:25:45 GMT, steve <reply@news.group> wrote:

    >And now with number porting it could belong to anyone. ATT has a look
    >up form which I posted a minute ago to this thread, the data is
    >presumably from the DBs maintained for that purpose. it shows my number
    >as belonging to t-mobile, I ported from ATT a couple months ago.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    L David Matheny wrote:
    > "M. D. Borca" <marius@deuteronomy.us> wrote in message news:h01ns0tq2pfvg405ap28i4bnkuo4aekpg2@4ax.com...
    >
    >>I'd like to know if anybody knows of any free online reverse
    >>cellphone # lookup sites which will tell you the company who
    >>owns the phone number.
    >>
    >>Given that number portability is now widely used, I understand
    >>it may not be too reliable.
    >>

    > This should give you the name of the telco who has the number:

    Unless the number was ported. Try 760-217. Shows as Verizon Wireless, but I
    ported my Verizon phone to Sprint six months ago and still have my 760-217-xxxx
    phone number.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    anytime, Marius.

    In article <omios0drra81c39aci1q55mqgdgte1jl6g@4ax.com>, M. D. Borca
    <marius@deuteronomy.us> wrote:

    > Yes, the ATTWS site is defenitely seemingly more precise than the
    > other databases. Thanks for the post Steve.
    >

    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:25:45 GMT, steve <reply@news.group> wrote:
    > >
    > >And now with number porting it could belong to anyone. ATT has a look
    > >up form which I posted a minute ago to this thread, the data is
    > >presumably from the DBs maintained for that purpose. it shows my number
    > >as belonging to t-mobile, I ported from ATT a couple months ago.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    In message <1103949164.302230.277540@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> "Kev"
    <KevinXKitchen@aol.com> wrote:

    >Phone numbers are no longer issued in blocks of 10,000 as they once
    >were where a whole prefix would belong to a single carrier. They are
    >now issued in blocks of 1000 as needed by carriers and businesses. This
    >was a mandate for number conservation because people complained about
    >their area codes being constantly changed.

    Thanks to overlays there is no need to change area codes even when
    numbers are scarce.

    --
    We should start measuring the Canadian gov't expenditures
    by gun registries. Put things into perspective.

    "Kev" <KevinXKitchen@aol.com> wrote in message
    > That is true but actually most people complain even more about having
    > to dial 10 digits which is mandatory with overlays. They wanted to do
    > overlays in Illinois at one time and people hit the roof about the idea
    > which is why you have Chicago sliced and diced into areas so small you
    > cannot even see them on a national map (you can go less than 10 miles
    > and pass through 3 area codes there).

    > So now they have to dial ten or eleven digits ?
  11. Quote:
    Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    I'd like to know if anybody knows of any free online reverse cellphone
    # lookup sites which will tell you the company who owns the phone
    number.

    Given that number portability is now widely used, I understand it may
    not be too reliable.

    http://lookup-phone.com

    Look up phone numbers to find the owner's name and address, and access to more detailed information about the owner. Look up cell phone numbers, residential and business phone numbers, 800 numbers, private and unlisted phone numbers.
  12. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Cingular Internet Service Providers