Phone has sounds like a fax running for incoming calls

Blair

I can phone out with no problems but when my PC(XP) is on but not on line I
find that incoming calls have this sound like a fax machine intermittently
and it stops after about a minute.
Very disconcerting to the caller and I have to tell them to hang on a minute
before it clears.
I feel it is something to do with my PC
Any ideas?
Blair

Hi Blair,

Control Panel/Printers and Faxes, right click the fax and choose properties.
On the devices tab, click properties, then go to the receive tab and uncheck
the box enabling it to receive faxes.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>I can phone out with no problems but when my PC(XP) is on but not on line I
> find that incoming calls have this sound like a fax machine intermittently
> and it stops after about a minute.
> Very disconcerting to the caller and I have to tell them to hang on a
> minute
> before it clears.
> I feel it is something to do with my PC
> Any ideas?
> Blair

Blair

Hi Rick,
There is no fax listed under Printer and Fax. Also under accessories there
is no fax.
I may have misled you on the sound describing it as similar to a fax. This
sound is not continuous and stops after about a minute
Blair

> Hi Blair,
>
> Control Panel/Printers and Faxes, right click the fax and choose
properties.
> On the devices tab, click properties, then go to the receive tab and
uncheck
> the box enabling it to receive faxes.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> >I can phone out with no problems but when my PC(XP) is on but not on line
> > find that incoming calls have this sound like a fax machine
intermittently
> > and it stops after about a minute.
> > Very disconcerting to the caller and I have to tell them to hang on a
> > minute
> > before it clears.
> > I feel it is something to do with my PC
> > Any ideas?
> > Blair

Hi Blair,

If you suspect it is coming from the pc, try disconnecting it from the phone
line, then have someone call in. This will tell you real quick if it's the
problem or not. If it is, and you do not have the fax monitor installed,
then I would suspect that "wake on ring" is enabled in the system BIOS and
the system is trying to respond when someone rings in. Disabling this
feature may help.

--

> Hi Rick,
> There is no fax listed under Printer and Fax. Also under accessories there
> is no fax.
> I may have misled you on the sound describing it as similar to a fax. This
> sound is not continuous and stops after about a minute
> Blair

>> Hi Blair,
>>
>> Control Panel/Printers and Faxes, right click the fax and choose
> properties.
>> On the devices tab, click properties, then go to the receive tab and
> uncheck
>> the box enabling it to receive faxes.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>> >I can phone out with no problems but when my PC(XP) is on but not on
>> >line
>> > find that incoming calls have this sound like a fax machine
> intermittently
>> > and it stops after about a minute.
>> > Very disconcerting to the caller and I have to tell them to hang on a
>> > minute
>> > before it clears.
>> > I feel it is something to do with my PC
>> > Any ideas?
>> > Blair

Blair

I received suggestion that I should use Start/Programs/Accessories/Fax/Fax
Console. Tool>Configure Fax.
> Uncheck 'Enable Receive'.
I also remembered that some time ago I used the fax facility but uninstalled
it. So I reinstalled it and carried out the uncheck 'Enable Receive'
and I no longer get the fax sound
Thanks for your help
Blair

> Hi Blair,
>
> If you suspect it is coming from the pc, try disconnecting it from the
phone
> line, then have someone call in. This will tell you real quick if it's the
> problem or not. If it is, and you do not have the fax monitor installed,
> then I would suspect that "wake on ring" is enabled in the system BIOS and
> the system is trying to respond when someone rings in. Disabling this
> feature may help.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hi Rick,
> > There is no fax listed under Printer and Fax. Also under accessories
there
> > is no fax.
> > I may have misled you on the sound describing it as similar to a fax.
This
> > sound is not continuous and stops after about a minute
> > Blair
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi Blair,
> >>
> >> Control Panel/Printers and Faxes, right click the fax and choose
> > properties.
> >> On the devices tab, click properties, then go to the receive tab and
> > uncheck
> >> the box enabling it to receive faxes.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > intermittently

Blair

I spoke too soon
The dreaded fax sound has returned so I deleted the whole fax facility by
using "services.msc"
Also disabled call waiting 1170
I tried to find "wake on ring" in the BIOS on my Dell Inspiron 1100 but
could find no reference to it.
What part of BIOS should I be looking at?
Blair

> I received suggestion that I should use
Start/Programs/Accessories/Fax/Fax
> Console. Tool>Configure Fax.
> > Uncheck 'Enable Receive'.
> I also remembered that some time ago I used the fax facility but
uninstalled
> it. So I reinstalled it and carried out the uncheck 'Enable Receive'
> and I no longer get the fax sound
> Thanks for your help
> Blair

> > Hi Blair,
> >
> > If you suspect it is coming from the pc, try disconnecting it from the
> phone
> > line, then have someone call in. This will tell you real quick if it's
the
> > problem or not. If it is, and you do not have the fax monitor installed,
> > then I would suspect that "wake on ring" is enabled in the system BIOS
and
> > the system is trying to respond when someone rings in. Disabling this
> > feature may help.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Hi Rick,
> > > There is no fax listed under Printer and Fax. Also under accessories
> there
> > > is no fax.
> > > I may have misled you on the sound describing it as similar to a fax.
> This
> > > sound is not continuous and stops after about a minute
> > > Blair
> > >
> > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

> > > properties.
> > > uncheck

> > > intermittently

Blair

I have at last solved the problem by downloading the latest modem driver.