Neuman

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
******* Update *******

ended up taking the whole thing apart and found the culprate.

motherboard fried. visibly. fried.

in the process of getting an Old spare ABIT KT7 board updated enough to run the rest of the components. this thing isn't quite as much of a performer as what was originally in there...

anyone have any ideas of where i could find a O-K Athlon XP CPU compatible mobo for ~$20? :)

newegg has something......

Sold my old computer to a friend, on the ~3rd bootup he claims to have smelled burnt plastic, computer turned itself off while windows was loading, and is currently completely dead.

i'd never had Any issues like this with any comptuer build, so i'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly is wrong.

with not a single thing happening when the power button is pressed, i originally assumed (and hoped) that it was the power supply that fried.

he bought a new PSU, and it's still not responsive.

the setup:
Athlon XP 2200+
ASUS A7V600-x
512mb ddr ram
2x80gig IDE HDD's
GeForce4 ti4200
(originally) antec 350watt psu

any ideas??

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Could have been that the PSU did die, but it also took the motherboard with it. Sometimes other parts like the CPU even get damaged when this happens.

He might be more or less out a computer :?

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Well, if you already tried a new PSU, it seems like you already did, unless by some incredible twist of fate the new power supply was already DOA.

Neuman

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
ended up taking the whole thing apart and found the culprate.

motherboard fried. visibly. fried.

in the process of getting an Old spare ABIT KT7 board updated enough to run the rest of the components. this thing isn't quite as much of a performer as what was originally in there...

anyone have any ideas of where i could find a O-K Athlon XP CPU compatible mobo for ~$20? :)

newegg has something......

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Unless you have a spare motherboard laying around somewhere, you can try and see if the CPU is also fried but if u have no board around to troubleshoot it then you're out of luck.

Neuman

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
yea it ended up being just the motherboard. was able to re-use every other component (luckily).

little z, in tacoma.