Vista sound cards

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Hello everyoneee. Im looking at a new x-fi xtreme gamer card to replace my Live! 24bit card, which is pretty much incompatible with vista. I was wondering it the x-fi had any better compat. I also wanted to know why the Live series isnt really supported that much. thanks!

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Creative just released official x-fi Vista drivers a few days ago so you shouldn't have any major issues.

As for the Live! series of cards, it's old tech, and isn't very high on their priority list anymore. As I said they just recently released certified drivers for the x-fi cards, which was certainly their top priority. Now that that's done they may turn their attention to getting drivers out for older products like Live! cards, or they may just focus on the x-fis for vista and force you to upgrade.

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
so, most likely im gonna have to upgrade? are there any future releases of new sound cards by creative? im asking because i dont want to upgrade right before they release some new, awesome technology.

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I haven't heard of anything big coming from creative in the near future other than a pci-e x1 version of the x-fi they showed off at ces. I'm not even sure if that one is scheduled for release or was just a prototype.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Sound cards aren't evolving at the same speeds most of the other pc components are. A 4-5 year old sound card like the SB Live! series is still good enough for most people even today (although apparently not for vista.) They aren't like video cards which in a year or 2 they are pretty much made obsolete.

I'm sure if you invested in an x-fi it would probably last you longer than the rest of your pc. :)

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I love Vista's interface...but honestly, I hate the crappy programming, especially the poor audio support. XP right now is simply superior to Vista for audio. Bit-perfect output is now impossible in Vista. This is just...horrendous.

lassic

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
Don't do it. I have an X-fi Fatality and runing Windows Vista (64) and there is nothing but problems. It is the only piece of hardware that does not work properly. They don't have official drivers, they're re-released beta drivers and what's worse is that the speaker tab in the audio console was removed. If you don't mind just using 2 speakers, fine, but it will not work with 7.1 like it should. I always have had a creative sound card, but because of the lack of support for vista i'm now looking for other solutions. BTW, i don't blame Creative completly, Microsoft decided to change the way the OS handles sound. Good job microsoft (sarcasticlly written).

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Now that that's done they may turn their attention to getting drivers out for older products like Live! cards, or they may just focus on the x-fis for vista and force you to upgrade.

Hmmm....I wonder which of those two options they will take??
:lol:

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I haven't heard of anything big coming from creative in the near future other than a pci-e x1 version of the x-fi they showed off at ces. I'm not even sure if that one is scheduled for release or was just a prototype.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Sound cards aren't evolving at the same speeds most of the other pc components are. A 4-5 year old sound card like the SB Live! series is still good enough for most people even today (although apparently not for vista.) They aren't like video cards which in a year or 2 they are pretty much made obsolete.

I'm sure if you invested in an x-fi it would probably last you longer than the rest of your pc. :)

FYI, the live series is quite older than 4,5 years. I was one of the first to get one in ... 1998 ! Close to ten years is considered prehistoric in comp world so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for vista drivers.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Agreed with the dont do it. I have the X-Fi and vista, and other than my G15 keyboard, it has been the only major headache of my system (driver wise). while they are official drivers and work (kinda), they still have alot of issues to work out with the sound. honestly, my AC'97 seems to have worked better under vista...

g13man

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Why do you think it to be necessary to use creative sound cards when there are better options out there?

Being the leading sound card for 2.5 decades with thier own formate [eaux or whatever ] , alot of games were written for this [IL2 flight simulater ].
sounds like ms is changing this

chrysalis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
my audigy 2 value is poor on vista very low sound volume and like xi fi owners have noted reduced options for speakers etc.

Solution, stick with windows XP for a while.