Please Help with a frustrating RIS Problem..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 20, 2004 9:13:22 PM

The error during the text portion of the setup:

"the image selected does not contain drivers for your hardware"

What I've done to solve it:

Following directions from previous posts and MS Qs I have downloaded the
correct drivers from Intel and added them to the CD Base image i386
directory. I also added the $oem$ paths and drivers at the same level as
the i386 folder on the base image and updated the sif file with the
oempreinstall=yes. I also followed the direction on Intel's site regarding
a corrected inf file and have replace it per their directions. I can now
ris a base image to this computer without any problem.

Nevertheless, if I riprep an image up to the server. I can not bring it
back down to the client again. I get the above error. What is confusing to
me is that I though the CD base image was being used during the initial text
mode setup. If it works on the Base image why doesn't it work for the
riprep image?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
August 25, 2004 6:08:10 AM

Jeff,

What Intel NIC are you using? I get a similar problem from
an Intel Pro/100 VM onboard NIC.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 25, 2004 4:30:47 PM

I'm using an Intel Pro/1000 MT.

"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Jeff,
>
> What Intel NIC are you using? I get a similar problem from
> an Intel Pro/100 VM onboard NIC.

a b \ Driver
August 26, 2004 11:48:18 AM

Did you overwrite files that were already there? If so, did you delete the
*.pnf files that are in the i386 directory and restart the BINL service?

I've had some drivers be very picky. When you RIS the base image are all
drivers present? Does the warning say "no drivers for your hardware" or
"none for your network card"?

I sometimes copy a driver folder to the RIPREP RIS image and then alter the
sif to point there.

My site has granular instructions, but not drivers for your card:

www.mvps.org/serverstuff

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 26, 2004 7:44:31 PM

Hi Scott thanks for the post. To answer your questions, yes I deleted the
pnf files and restarted the BINL service. After I image the base image all
the drivers are present and working. The system adds itself to the domain,
the nic drivers, video drivers and sound drivers are all there and properly
configured. It's only with a riprep image that it doesn't work. I haven't
tried moving the driver folder to the riprep image and modifying the sif. I
will give it a try.

Thanks

Jeff

"NIC Student" <nospam@nospam.land> wrote in message
news:o E1i6u3iEHA.2052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Did you overwrite files that were already there? If so, did you delete
> the *.pnf files that are in the i386 directory and restart the BINL
> service?
>
> I've had some drivers be very picky. When you RIS the base image are all
> drivers present? Does the warning say "no drivers for your hardware" or
> "none for your network card"?
>
> I sometimes copy a driver folder to the RIPREP RIS image and then alter
> the sif to point there.
>
> My site has granular instructions, but not drivers for your card:
>
> www.mvps.org/serverstuff
>
> --
> Scott Baldridge
> Windows Server MVP, MCSE

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 27, 2004 4:45:26 PM

You might rebuild the RIPREP image and try again. Let me know how it goes.

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

> Hi Scott thanks for the post. To answer your questions, yes I deleted the
> pnf files and restarted the BINL service. After I image the base image
> all the drivers are present and working. The system adds itself to the
> domain, the nic drivers, video drivers and sound drivers are all there and
> properly configured. It's only with a riprep image that it doesn't work.
> I haven't tried moving the driver folder to the riprep image and modifying
> the sif. I will give it a try.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 7, 2004 12:31:29 PM

I have rebuilt the image but still no success. I'm tired of fighting with
RIS. I do appreciate your help Scott, however, these newsgroups are
supposed to be managed by MS pros; they are proving to be worthless. We are
a dual shop with both Novell and MS servers. Maybe ZEN works will be
better.

!