Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Visual Basic and Pocket Excel

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:20:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Can I use Visual Basic applications with Pocket Excel? Can you tell me
how, if it's possible? I've made some macros, but the buttons won't
appear when I open the document with Pocket Excel.
June 9, 2005 5:20:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Paavo Räisänen wrote:
> Can I use Visual Basic applications with Pocket Excel? Can you tell me
> how, if it's possible? I've made some macros, but the buttons won't
> appear when I open the document with Pocket Excel.

you can't do that. Excel Express would have been a better name.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:20:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Paavo Räisänen <pjr84@jippii.fi> wrote:

>Can I use Visual Basic applications with Pocket Excel? Can you tell me
>how, if it's possible? I've made some macros, but the buttons won't
>appear when I open the document with Pocket Excel.

No. Pocket Excel doesn't understand forms, buttons or any VBA code.
totally ignores it when you load a spreadsheet with that information.
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Related resources
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:20:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Paavo Räisänen" <pjr84@jippii.fi> wrote in message
news:o %23WnuzNbFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Can I use Visual Basic applications with Pocket Excel? Can you tell me
> how, if it's possible? I've made some macros, but the buttons won't
> appear when I open the document with Pocket Excel.
>

Pocket Excel is rather basic. Y ou might want to check out Planmaker:

http://www.softmaker.de/pmp_en.htm

While we're on this subject of the baby-steps software that MS puts into
PPCs, twenty years ago I had a word-processor on my old Apple II+, with its
massive 64k of RAM (no hard disk), that could do footnotes (it was called
ScreenWtriter), something way beyond the capabilities of Pocket Word,
running in RAM that is 1000 times larger. This kind of stripped-down
software might have been necessary on the very first machines, but surely
it's time that MS provided PPC users with a proper word-processor (or,
failing that, MSWord at the very least)?

Peter Groves
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:20:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Pocket Excel & Pocket Word are slimed down versions of Office Excel &
Office Word and do not include VBA.

Paavo Räisänen wrote:
> Can I use Visual Basic applications with Pocket Excel? Can you tell me
> how, if it's possible? I've made some macros, but the buttons won't
> appear when I open the document with Pocket Excel.
>
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:20:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Well that would be just to plain simple and easy wouldn't it?

Peter Groves wrote:
> "Paavo Räisänen" <pjr84@jippii.fi> wrote in message
> news:o %23WnuzNbFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>Can I use Visual Basic applications with Pocket Excel? Can you tell me
>>how, if it's possible? I've made some macros, but the buttons won't
>>appear when I open the document with Pocket Excel.
>>
>
>
> Pocket Excel is rather basic. Y ou might want to check out Planmaker:
>
> http://www.softmaker.de/pmp_en.htm
>
> While we're on this subject of the baby-steps software that MS puts into
> PPCs, twenty years ago I had a word-processor on my old Apple II+, with its
> massive 64k of RAM (no hard disk), that could do footnotes (it was called
> ScreenWtriter), something way beyond the capabilities of Pocket Word,
> running in RAM that is 1000 times larger. This kind of stripped-down
> software might have been necessary on the very first machines, but surely
> it's time that MS provided PPC users with a proper word-processor (or,
> failing that, MSWord at the very least)?
>
> Peter Groves
>
>
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:20:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Ed,

Somewhat Off Topic here but thought you may know....

Given all the changes to Mobile Word and Mobile Excel in WM5.0, do you know
if the VBA and forms support has improved? I've not found anything out
there to suggest yes or no.

Thanks,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com

A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
news:ii9ga1hdb7gsr0948r18nvi8avp8sidhbg@4ax.com...
> Paavo Räisänen <pjr84@jippii.fi> wrote:
>
>>Can I use Visual Basic applications with Pocket Excel? Can you tell me
>>how, if it's possible? I've made some macros, but the buttons won't
>>appear when I open the document with Pocket Excel.
>
> No. Pocket Excel doesn't understand forms, buttons or any VBA code.
> totally ignores it when you load a spreadsheet with that information.
> --
> __________________________________________________________________________________
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:28:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com!"
<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote:

>Ed,
>
>Somewhat Off Topic here but thought you may know....
>
>Given all the changes to Mobile Word and Mobile Excel in WM5.0, do you know
>if the VBA and forms support has improved? I've not found anything out
>there to suggest yes or no.

I suspect having VBA and associated items (forms, buttons) isn't a big
issue with PDAs. MS is more concerened about data integrity and
formatting, which is what 99.9% of Excel spreadsheets have. I doubt
they are even *considering* something like Pivot Table support, much
less the enourmous VBA engine.
--
__________________________________________________________________________________
Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:43:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks Ed for the insight and thoughts.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com

A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
news:kiuha1li0eln9l74k4tvm5unlv5cb2jo1l@4ax.com...
> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com!"
> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote:
>
>>Ed,
>>
>>Somewhat Off Topic here but thought you may know....
>>
>>Given all the changes to Mobile Word and Mobile Excel in WM5.0, do you
>>know
>>if the VBA and forms support has improved? I've not found anything out
>>there to suggest yes or no.
>
> I suspect having VBA and associated items (forms, buttons) isn't a big
> issue with PDAs. MS is more concerened about data integrity and
> formatting, which is what 99.9% of Excel spreadsheets have. I doubt
> they are even *considering* something like Pivot Table support, much
> less the enourmous VBA engine.
> --
> __________________________________________________________________________________
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
June 10, 2005 7:51:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Peter Groves wrote:

> While we're on this subject of the baby-steps software that MS puts into
> PPCs, twenty years ago I had a word-processor on my old Apple II+, with its
> massive 64k of RAM (no hard disk), that could do footnotes (it was called
> ScreenWtriter), something way beyond the capabilities of Pocket Word,
> running in RAM that is 1000 times larger. This kind of stripped-down
> software might have been necessary on the very first machines, but surely
> it's time that MS provided PPC users with a proper word-processor (or,
> failing that, MSWord at the very least)?

I agree, using the name "Word" must be against some sort of trades
descriptions act here in the UK, as it does not resemble anything close
to what most consumers know as Microsoft Word.
Why not just call it "Pocket Word Pad" - a Windows Application that has
many more similarities than the funnly blown Microsoft Word, of which a
spell checker is the only thing they share apart from the icon.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
June 10, 2005 7:56:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

David C. Holley wrote:
> Pocket Excel & Pocket Word are slimed down versions of Office Excel &
> Office Word and do not include VBA.

Slimmed down implies someone looked at the source code of Microsoft Word
and just commented out a few minor things. In fact, they started from
scratch and for reasons of time and money (perhaps - I can only guess)
didn't include barely anything - no tables, images or numbered bullets.

If you have Word 2003 you can convert your files manually and as if by
magic Pocket Word will display the images - but if you use Active Sync
it won't.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
June 10, 2005 8:11:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Marc wrote:
> Peter Groves wrote:
>
>> While we're on this subject of the baby-steps software that MS puts into
>> PPCs, twenty years ago I had a word-processor on my old Apple II+,
>> with its
>> massive 64k of RAM (no hard disk), that could do footnotes (it was called
>> ScreenWtriter), something way beyond the capabilities of Pocket Word,
>> running in RAM that is 1000 times larger. This kind of stripped-down
>> software might have been necessary on the very first machines, but surely
>> it's time that MS provided PPC users with a proper word-processor (or,
>> failing that, MSWord at the very least)?
>
>
> I agree, using the name "Word" must be against some sort of trades
> descriptions act here in the UK, as it does not resemble anything close
> to what most consumers know as Microsoft Word.
> Why not just call it "Pocket Word Pad" - a Windows Application that has
> many more similarities than the funnly blown Microsoft Word, of which a
> spell checker is the only thing they share apart from the icon.
>
Even my old Psion could set a couple of different fonts, apply Bold and
Underline ....
June 10, 2005 8:43:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Marc wrote:
> the >> funnly << blown Microsoft Word, of which a
> spell checker is the only thing

How ironic, could have done with using the damn thing before pressing send !


--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
Anonymous
August 4, 2012 9:45:36 PM

Any changes from 2005?
Did Pocket Excel and VBA goes together ?
!