Computer name with sysprep

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 24, 2004 2:43:04 PM

I am using sysprep to make images for deployment and would like to use
sysprep.inf file to automate the setup when the computer reboots. We have a
naming convention for our computers and the computer name is set in the bios
on each computer.

Is there a way to retrieve information from the bios and use it in the
sysprep.inf file?

More about : computer sysprep

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 1:49:18 AM

Check out compname at www.willowhayes.co.uk

You can let SysPrep generate a random name and then run compname in your
cmdlines.txt file. Then script a reboot and join the domain with netdom,
followed by another reboot.

I'm not aware of any easy method (apart from, perhaps using Windows PE) to
get in early enough to change the answer file before it is parsed.

Cheers

Oli

!