Xtremegamer vs Fatality Xtremegamer

halcyon

Splendid
Forget the X-RAM, its a gimic that would never be worth its added price. If you want to connect your front panel audio jacks use the flat Xtreme Gamer. If you want the gold connectors (if you're an audio purist) and don't need to be able to connect your case's front-panel audio jacks go with the Xtreme Music.

Seriously, Google X-RAM and you'll likely find that its not worth $70, even for the games that support it. X-RAM is meant to allow games to cache audio samples on the audio card (into X-RAM) for faster access to them during game-play.

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
I did ..moved from a 5.1 live..the X-Fi add an amazing "presence" to my sound that is coming from the same speakers I`ve had for years...Inspire 5.3`s, in addition, the sound it creates when played thru earphones with added enhancements the card has, must to be heard to be appreciated ;)

halcyon

Splendid
the pure audio you refer to will the untrained ear be able to hear the difference?

I think the answer to that is subjective and I won't purport to know what everyone else is capable of hearing. I always choose gold connectors, if given the choice, just because I've been lead to believe that they're more durable and are typically tied to higher-quality products. I doubt its going to be a difference you can hear in a day 1 comparison, but maybe on day 800+ it may make a difference.

I like gold connectors, something about higher conductivity....

Separate Note: If my memory serves me correctly, the Xtreme Audio only has one mode (Entertainment) whereas the Xtreme Music and higher have the 3 modes (Entertainment, Audio Creation, and Gaming).

If he's looking for the most economical solution go with the Xtreme Audio if he wants the flexibility, I'd recommend the Xtreme Music or higher...but not with X-RAM as a consideration.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Get the XtremeGamer.

I was in the same dilenma that you were, and finally decided to get the cheaper one (got mine in Amazon for $64) and it is an amazing board, with crystal clear sound.

The X-RAM is not much used and from what I researched, it would give you 1 or 2 fps more than a system without X-RAM. For the price difference ($70) it's not worth it. You can get another 512 MB of RAM and enjoy better performance.

Mati87

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Im getting an XtremeGamer for myself, so I did some research on these X-Fi. I recommend you get the XtremeMusic or if you want cheaper the XtremeGamer. But DO NOT get the XtremeAudio it doesn't enhance anything. If anything it will make your games sound worse.

blizzard900

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
what i have heard and read the Xtreme Music is better than the Xtreme Gamer, just look at the size of the xtreme gamer and compare it with the Xtreme music :p i have a Fatality Xtreme gamer and i don't regret that i bought it at all. PS the xtreme music and fatality cards are pretty much the same the only difference is X-ram...

blizzard900

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
X-Ram is not supposed to increase fps, what it does is that you wont get a fps decrease when switching audio quality to ultra high and so on...

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
The xtreme audio is not a good card. Its not a "real" x-fi. It will probably lower your fps, and it is noted on their website it is not intended for gaming.

meh

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
I think people are a bit confused on this topic. The XtremeGamer and the XtremeGamer FPS are 2 separate products. The FPS one has the X-RAM. There is no difference between the XtremeMusic and the XtremeGamer other than the size of the card itself. That's it.