Thermal Pads or Grease and if grease, how to do it

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I been thinking about this for awhile now. Do I use thermal pads or grease. I don't want my CPU to overheat but I don't want to overclock it. I just want to keep it cool at stock speeds. Should I just use a thermal pad or get the greasy with it. If it is grease, do I use a little bit? Also, the CPU is a Core 2 Duo.

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Thermal grease is mostly zinc oxide paste, but is not the same as the zinc oxide u get from a pharmacy. The thermal grease has less "grease" in it.

when u place a small amount on top of a cpu and then press on the heatsink, you want to wipe up any excess that flows out.

so in most cases that can be hard to do without making a mess. So its very important not to place too much on in the 1st place.

When placing the thermal grease on, you dont want to see lumps or mounds of it. It's safe for your finger. So take a dab on the tip of ur index finger, about a 1/4 inch circle that's 1 millimeter thick.

Smear it on, starting at the center, and make a little circle outward. Then rub left and right up and down on your horizontal surface, but never go past thee edges. Try to get that dab all evened up.

as for using both pads and grease for the same application, no, they were designed to be used separately.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I would only use a pad if it came with the cooler. Thermal paste is much easier to use and it will last for many different build.
To use "grease" make sure both surfaces are clean, put a bb sized dot on one surface and spread carefully to cover the surface (I use a business card) then you join the parts and clip in place. allow to sit for an hour or so, and proceed.

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
What about the:

-put rice sized dot on

-push heatsink on, then squash out

-twist to the side a bit, to get out air bubbles

does that work too?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Everyone has ways to describe the same basic thing, most will work fine. The point is not too much, spread the layer, and leave it alone. Thanks for the helpful input.