Components I am looking at for gaming PC

Fortnby

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model DRU120C

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Case

ASUS EN8800GTX/HTDP/768M GeForce 8800GTX GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

Thermaltake Toughpower 850W W0131RU – NVIDIA QUAD-SLI APPROVED, FOUR +12V RAIL READY

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 (x2)

Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562QX6700

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD

These above items are components i have selected to build my first PC. If any of you would be so kind as to offer tips/help for items i am sure i have missed (HD for example...i'm still researching the diff between HD types....should i get a RAID...what the hell is a RAID?)

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Some of the parts are over the top. Not sure you gain much from a Quad. The Video card is just about the best thing out there, nothing currently will use all the RAM (maybe FSX) I would not use that DVD, get one with dual dvd - RW. What monitor are you planning, that card will push 24" without breaking sweat. What do you need to do with your HD. Lots of media files, game files, downloads? Is load speed important? What OS are you planning?

Fortnby

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Some of the parts are over the top. Not sure you gain much from a Quad. The Video card is just about the best thing out there, nothing currently will use all the RAM (maybe FSX) I would not use that DVD, get one with dual dvd - RW. What monitor are you planning, that card will push 24" without breaking sweat. What do you need to do with your HD. Lots of media files, game files, downloads? Is load speed important? What OS are you planning?

What DvD would you suggest?

I already have a 24" widescreen, so i'm set there.

I want to play games with the HD, i'm looking at a 10k rpm...not sure with all the technology out there as to what is best for me.

Not sure what the diff between RAID, SATA, SCSI, PATA is.

OS is prolly gonna be Vista, but not 100% on that yet. XP Pro if not VIsta.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I would get a dual layer DVD like this Lite ON dvd DL
Drive types can be confusing but there are patterns to look for. PATA/ IDE is the old standard, slow but steady, on the way out. SATA is the new guy in town, offers speed and smaller cables. SCSI is an older standard used by servers and Macs, fast but costy. RAID is just 2 or more drives with the same interface hooked together to achieve speed or storage capacity and sometimes both. For now you need to know your interfaces so you have enough ports to hook them to your motherboard. CD/DVD are mostly IDE still. Hard Drives have been changing faster so it is running 50/50 with new drives almost totally SATA.

Fortnby

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I want speed mainly from my HD..so i was looking at a RAID 1 array with a couple of WD 10k rpm 150gb hd's...any suggestions?

That DVD RW was the exact one i was looking at on newegg

PCnut

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
If you are going for speed i would get at least 2 raptors 10,000 rpm hd drives set in a raid 0. I have this and it makes loading time fast and games seem a faster also.

TRENDING THREADS