RIS server image limit

dbrink

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2004

Is there a limit to how many images can be hosted on a RIS
server? If so, is it a limit that can be changed in the
registry or somewhere else? Thanks.

I believe I read somewhere that RIS is only capable of handling around 21
images, but I have found that no to be true. I have 38 setup on my server
right now. They range from win2k pro to win2k3 server. The only problem I
have seen with it and it may not be because of the amount of images is the
single instance storage groveler service does not work. Other then that
everything works fine.

"dbrink" wrote:

> Is there a limit to how many images can be hosted on a RIS
> server? If so, is it a limit that can be changed in the
> registry or somewhere else? Thanks.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but the
experience I've had with the number of images available
had to do with the amount of text in the Description &
Help files within the .sif's themselves.

For example, once I crossed 32+/- images, the image list
in the CIW would freeze. I shortened the names of the
images (ex: DESCRIPTION - Microsoft Windows XP with SP1
MultiProcessor Rev 1.0. HELP - Microsoft Windows XP with
SP1 for HyperThreading workstations; to: DESCRIPTION -
XPSP1 MP Rev1.0. HELP - Evo D530) and now have over 40
images.

Our CIW is customized for our environment, rather lengthy
at that. I don't know if this affects the text the same
way since documentation for "serious"
management/modification of RIS seems to be a little thin.

Additionally, using group policy, an account that has
access to all the images seems more susceptible to the
freezing affect, where an account(s) that is ACL'ed to
only certain images does not seem to be affected at all.

This may have to do with the number of pages scrolled
down, which again seems to be text capacity related.