SetUp partitions using RIS

Hi all.

Need help with this:

I set up a RIS server and i've attached a couple of HP
DL380 Server to LAN to get Os from server. The issue i'm
trying to skip or avoid is that by design (i know it) RIS
makes a full format of the entire drive and i would like
to install Windows on a small partition, not the whole
drive. Let say ... Hard Drive is 72 GB of size; i would
like to use just 10 or 20 GB of it.

Is there a way to set that? any kind of RIS hacking or
undocumented process?

Any help will be very appreciated, Thanks in advanced,
..
2 answers Last reply
More about setup partitions

    RIS has no builtin partitioning tool

    You can use RIS to start a Windows PE image and from that environment
    you can use diskpart (scripted) and then execute winnt32 with a
    unattended script to fully automate the deployment.

    regards
    Johan Arwidmark

    Windows User Group - Nordic
    http://www.wug-nordic.net

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:21:16 -0700, "Joe"

    >Hi all.
    >
    >Need help with this:
    >
    >I set up a RIS server and i've attached a couple of HP
    >DL380 Server to LAN to get Os from server. The issue i'm
    >trying to skip or avoid is that by design (i know it) RIS
    >makes a full format of the entire drive and i would like
    >to install Windows on a small partition, not the whole
    >drive. Let say ... Hard Drive is 72 GB of size; i would
    >like to use just 10 or 20 GB of it.
    >
    >Is there a way to set that? any kind of RIS hacking or
    >undocumented process?
    >
    >Any help will be very appreciated, Thanks in advanced,
    >.

    If you are using a flat file image from the server and not a riprep image you
    can change in the ristndrd.sif file the following lines.

    [RemoteInstall] [RemoteInstall]
    Repartition = yes Repartition = no
    UseWholeDisk = yes UseWholeDisk = no

    It will ask you to partition it before it starts installing files.

    "Joe" wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > Need help with this:
    >
    > I set up a RIS server and i've attached a couple of HP
    > DL380 Server to LAN to get Os from server. The issue i'm
    > trying to skip or avoid is that by design (i know it) RIS
    > makes a full format of the entire drive and i would like
    > to install Windows on a small partition, not the whole
    > drive. Let say ... Hard Drive is 72 GB of size; i would
    > like to use just 10 or 20 GB of it.
    >
    > Is there a way to set that? any kind of RIS hacking or
    > undocumented process?
    >
    > Any help will be very appreciated, Thanks in advanced,
    > ..

Servers Windows