Windows 2003 joining Windows 2000 Domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 26, 2004 11:37:39 AM

We've got a Windows 2000 Domain that client computers
login to. One of the servers that logs into the domain
is a Windows 2003 server with a database on it. The
database is SQL Server 2000 and Analysis Services(OLAP)
is used on it. OLAP requires users to be added to the
OLAP administrators group.

My problem is that the Windows 2003 server does not see
users from the Windows 2000 domain. More specifically,
SQL Server 2000 security sees users from the domain, but
username/groups in 2003 does not see the Windows 2000
domain.

What is required for the 2003 server to allow users from
the 2000 domain to be added to it's user/groups?(note:
the 2003 server does not have the active directory
functionality)
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 1:38:34 AM

This should work entirely the same as a Windows 2000 member server would.
YOu can place users and global groups into local groups on the Windows
Server 2003 box.

When you say it can't "see", what happens exactly?

Are the DNS settings on this member server correct?

Oli

"Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We've got a Windows 2000 Domain that client computers
> login to. One of the servers that logs into the domain
> is a Windows 2003 server with a database on it. The
> database is SQL Server 2000 and Analysis Services(OLAP)
> is used on it. OLAP requires users to be added to the
> OLAP administrators group.
>
> My problem is that the Windows 2003 server does not see
> users from the Windows 2000 domain. More specifically,
> SQL Server 2000 security sees users from the domain, but
> username/groups in 2003 does not see the Windows 2000
> domain.
>
> What is required for the 2003 server to allow users from
> the 2000 domain to be added to it's user/groups?(note:
> the 2003 server does not have the active directory
> functionality)
August 27, 2004 11:18:07 AM

Set the DNS to point to the domain server and the domain
users were visible for use.

Thanks for the info Oli.

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:41:37 PM

You're welcome.

Most problems of this type are related to DNS. It pays to make sure your
DNS is correctly configured. DHCP can help here, although not everybody
feels comfortable using DHCP for servers..

Regards

!