Sign in with
Your question

Need advice for prospective build.

Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2007 12:54:51 AM

I need some advice on components for a new PC. It’s been over 5 years since I’ve bought a new PC and after my experiences with a pre-built HP, I think I’ll take my chances with a self made PC.
My budget is around 1200 USD; could spend a bit more or less (hopefully less, but probably not). However I’m planning on buying the parts 4-6 weeks from now, so I don’t know how that will affect prices (if at all). I’m looking for a computer that can run Vista smoothly and be able to play most games without too much trouble.

These are some things I’ve picked out so far.
Case: Lian Li v1000 plusII
I’ve read that this case has some problems with modular power supplies, but I think that the v1100 would be too large for my liking and I really wouldn’t mind taking out a hard drive cage to accommodate a modular psu.
Processor: Intel Dual Core 2 Duo e6600
Motherboard: Intel 975XBX2

I know that just those 3 set me back 760 USD with S/H and/or Tax, but unless there’s a very good reason, I don’t think I’ll be changing my mind on those 3.

So I really need advice on
Video Card: ?
I’m just lost with this one. I’m not looking for the top of the line video card. I do play games, but mainly MMORPGs. Also I would like moderate video/screen capture and video editing performance.
Hard Drive: ?
What’s a good size and speed for a HDD? I was thinking around 160 gigs, but I heard Vista was huge, so suggestions are appreciated.
Memory: ?
I want to be sure my motherboard supports the ram I buy, so if anyone’s had experience with this particular mobo perhaps they can make a suggestion. I’m looking for about 1 Gig.
Sound Card: ?
I heard that sound cards aren’t really necessary, and that integrated sound would suffice. However I use programs like Skype and Ventrilo frequently, so would a sound card result in significant improvement?
Power Supply: ?
This will be the first PC I’ve built so I don’t know how to calculate exactly how much power I will need.

Other things
DVD drives

I will probably make my purchases on Newegg. But I also live about 10 minutes from a Fry’s Electronics and a Micro Center, so I may buy a few parts from there. As for Windows Vista and Office Software, I can buy them from my university. Also as a first time builder I’m iffy about overclocking, so I would prefer non-oced or only moderately oced builds.
March 14, 2007 1:16:15 AM

I would suggest this case
Lian-LI 50B Half the cost and a nice case.
You should look at a 7900 series card. Some have nice options for video input/output and are good gamers.
You will need 2 gigs of RAM for best preformance. You need DDR2 and 667 or 800 mhz will work
I think I would look for a 250 or 320gb
!