Ethernet a worldwide standard?

BelowZero

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
This might seem like a silly question but I just want to confirm something. I live in Canada but will be spending the next several months in Europe, mostly in one location in Italy. I would like to bring a small wireless router I have along with me to connect to the existing couple machines there and enable wireless access for my group. This has been ok'ed but the person I spoke to there (who is not technically inclined) suggested I make sure I can use equipment from here on their setup.

Now as far as I know there aren't different versions of ethernet/etc on either side of the Atlantic and everything should work just fine but now I'm questioning that. Obviously electrical outlets/voltage/etc are not the same but is there any difference in terms of the network lines/connectors/voltages/etc?

Thanks in advance for settling what I think is a non-issue, but better safe than sorry.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
802.11 is a worldwide standard. If your equipment will power up, the network standards are identical and it will connect with all the ease / issues of any connection in Canada.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
There are some small differences in the range of wireless channels/etc. allowed in different countries. 802.11d is supposed to help negotiate this. As always, YMMV, so you could try enabling and disabling this feature if available.