Boot straight to Windows?

March 25, 2005 11:15:27 AM

Previously had PC set to boot straight to my own user a/c. Not sure what
I've done but now it boots to a screen with my own name on it and I have to
click it to get to Windows.
If I use "control userpasswords2" and take the tick out of "users must enter
a name and password" it boots to Administrator which I don't want since I
have all my programs etc. under my own name with admin rights.
I have 3 user a/c's listed, Administrator, ASPNET and myself with admin
rights, I have no passwords set.
I am the only user and want PC to boot straight to "myself".
--

Kenny Cargill

More about : boot straight windows

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:15:28 AM

Hi Kenny,
If you want, you must remove the ASPNET account...but i m telling
u...it might have some effects on your .NET (if i m not wrong, u have .NET
installed right)?

"Kenny" wrote:

> Previously had PC set to boot straight to my own user a/c. Not sure what
> I've done but now it boots to a screen with my own name on it and I have to
> click it to get to Windows.
> If I use "control userpasswords2" and take the tick out of "users must enter
> a name and password" it boots to Administrator which I don't want since I
> have all my programs etc. under my own name with admin rights.
> I have 3 user a/c's listed, Administrator, ASPNET and myself with admin
> rights, I have no passwords set.
> I am the only user and want PC to boot straight to "myself".
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:15:28 AM

Hi Kenny,

Use TweakUI for this, it's the easiest way:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:o vfSQKRMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Previously had PC set to boot straight to my own user a/c. Not sure what
> I've done but now it boots to a screen with my own name on it and I have
> to click it to get to Windows.
> If I use "control userpasswords2" and take the tick out of "users must
> enter a name and password" it boots to Administrator which I don't want
> since I have all my programs etc. under my own name with admin rights.
> I have 3 user a/c's listed, Administrator, ASPNET and myself with admin
> rights, I have no passwords set.
> I am the only user and want PC to boot straight to "myself".
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill

March 25, 2005 12:02:22 PM

Run control userpasswords2 again.
Put the check mark back in the box next "Users must enter a user
name and password to use this computer".
Click Apply.
Next, remove the check mark.
Click Apply.
In the box that pops up replace the user name (by default it says
Administrator) with the name of your user account. It sounds as
if you missed this step earlier.
Leave the password lines empty and Click OK.
The next time your PC starts you should be logged on
automatically.

As for the ASP.net account, here's a site with some info on that
topic:

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

--
Nepatsfan
"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:o vfSQKRMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Previously had PC set to boot straight to my own user a/c. Not
> sure what I've done but now it boots to a screen with my own
> name on it and I have to click it to get to Windows.
> If I use "control userpasswords2" and take the tick out of
> "users must enter a name and password" it boots to
> Administrator which I don't want since I have all my programs
> etc. under my own name with admin rights.
> I have 3 user a/c's listed, Administrator, ASPNET and myself
> with admin rights, I have no passwords set.
> I am the only user and want PC to boot straight to "myself".
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill

March 25, 2005 10:12:31 PM

Thanks for the replies, now sorted.
Assuming that this was caused by installing .NET Framework 1.1 if I apply
SP1 for this will the same thing happen?
Do I need SP1 for .NET Framework or should I leave well enough alone

--

Kenny Cargill

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> Run control userpasswords2 again.
> Put the check mark back in the box next "Users must enter a user name and
> password to use this computer".
> Click Apply.
> Next, remove the check mark.
> Click Apply.
> In the box that pops up replace the user name (by default it says
> Administrator) with the name of your user account. It sounds as if you
> missed this step earlier.
> Leave the password lines empty and Click OK.
> The next time your PC starts you should be logged on automatically.
>
> As for the ASP.net account, here's a site with some info on that topic:
>
> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> news:o vfSQKRMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Previously had PC set to boot straight to my own user a/c. Not sure what
>> I've done but now it boots to a screen with my own name on it and I have
>> to click it to get to Windows.
>> If I use "control userpasswords2" and take the tick out of "users must
>> enter a name and password" it boots to Administrator which I don't want
>> since I have all my programs etc. under my own name with admin rights.
>> I have 3 user a/c's listed, Administrator, ASPNET and myself with admin
>> rights, I have no passwords set.
>> I am the only user and want PC to boot straight to "myself".
>> --
>>
>> Kenny Cargill

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 10:12:32 PM

No.

> Thanks for the replies, now sorted.
> Assuming that this was caused by installing .NET Framework 1.1 if I apply
> SP1 for this will the same thing happen?
> Do I need SP1 for .NET Framework or should I leave well enough alone
>

> --
>
> Kenny Cargill
>

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>> Run control userpasswords2 again.
>> Put the check mark back in the box next "Users must enter a user name and
>> password to use this computer".
>> Click Apply.
>> Next, remove the check mark.
>> Click Apply.
>> In the box that pops up replace the user name (by default it says
>> Administrator) with the name of your user account. It sounds as if you
>> missed this step earlier.
>> Leave the password lines empty and Click OK.
>> The next time your PC starts you should be logged on automatically.
>>
>> As for the ASP.net account, here's a site with some info on that topic:
>>
>> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> news:o vfSQKRMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Previously had PC set to boot straight to my own user a/c. Not sure
>>> what I've done but now it boots to a screen with my own name on it and I
>>> have to click it to get to Windows.
>>> If I use "control userpasswords2" and take the tick out of "users must
>>> enter a name and password" it boots to Administrator which I don't want
>>> since I have all my programs etc. under my own name with admin rights.
>>> I have 3 user a/c's listed, Administrator, ASPNET and myself with admin
>>> rights, I have no passwords set.
>>> I am the only user and want PC to boot straight to "myself".
>>> --
>>>
>>> Kenny Cargill

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 1:02:28 AM

SP1 for .net framework is a useful update.

> No.

> "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the replies, now sorted.
>> Assuming that this was caused by installing .NET Framework 1.1 if I apply
>> SP1 for this will the same thing happen?
>> Do I need SP1 for .NET Framework or should I leave well enough alone
>>

>> --
>>
>> Kenny Cargill
>>

>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>>> Run control userpasswords2 again.
>>> Put the check mark back in the box next "Users must enter a user name
>>> and password to use this computer".
>>> Click Apply.
>>> Next, remove the check mark.
>>> Click Apply.
>>> In the box that pops up replace the user name (by default it says
>>> Administrator) with the name of your user account. It sounds as if you
>>> missed this step earlier.
>>> Leave the password lines empty and Click OK.
>>> The next time your PC starts you should be logged on automatically.
>>>
>>> As for the ASP.net account, here's a site with some info on that topic:
>>>
>>> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nepatsfan
>>> "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o vfSQKRMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:45:01 AM

Hi Kenny,
Best is install .NET Framework... SP1 is good for .NET Framework...
haven't tried that b4...

!