Network Unattended installation

Trying to get his right but not quite there yet.

We have a Windoes 2000 environment with one domain
controller running SP4 and about 65 clients.

We like to wipe and load every 6 months. Now is that six
months. We want to use unattended installation to do
this. RIS is not available as there is only a c:\
partition on the DC and this is the only server.

We have created the network boot disk ( DOS based ). We
have created a folder on c:\ called W2K. Have copied the
Windows 2000 Professional i386 folder to the W2K folder.
So, we have c:\w2k\i386. We have shared the i386 folder
as I386$ so that it is hidden. We have used the Setup
Manager to create the unattend.txt file and manually
created the unattend.udf file. Copied that to the i386
folder.

Put in network boot disk, reboot machine, map a drive to
n:\ ( n:\ = \\dc01\i386$ ) and change to n:\. No
problems so far.

We then enter winnt /s:\\dc01\i386$ /u:\\dc01\i386$
unattend.txt /udf:abc1,\\dc01\i386$ unattend.udf. I have
also entered
winnt /s:n:\ /u:unattend.txt /udf:abc1,unattend.udf as
well as
winnt /s:n:\ /u:n:\unattend.txt /udf:abc1,n:\unattend.udf.

In each case we are getting an error that the file
n:\unattend.txt is either not accessible or invalid.
Here is a copy of the unattend.txt file:

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=1
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
TargetPath=\WINNT
Repartition=Yes
UseWholeDisk=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=xxxxxxxx
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=35
OemSkipWelcome=1

[OEM_Ads]
backgroud=backgrd.bmp
logo=companylogo.bmp

[UserData]
FullName="Installer"
OrgName=Company, Inc.
ComputerName=ABC1
ProductID="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

[Display]
BitsPerPel=16
Xresolution=800
YResolution=600
Vrefresh=60

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1

[SetupMgr]
DistFolder=C:\W2K\I386
DistShare=I386$

[Identification]
JoinDomain=mydomain
DomainAdmin=Administrator
DomainAdminPassword=xxxxxx

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

There are no permissions issues to this file as for this
purpose EVERYONE has full control!

Remember, we are running the winnt command because we are
using a DOS based network boot disk.

Thank you,

Going bonkers in Yonkers!
6 answers Last reply
More about network unattended installation

    "Bonkers in Yonkers" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:

    > Put in network boot disk, reboot machine, map a drive to
    > n:\ ( n:\ = \\dc01\i386$ ) and change to n:\. No
    > problems so far.
    >
    > We then enter winnt /s:\\dc01\i386$ /u:\\dc01\i386$
    > unattend.txt /udf:abc1,\\dc01\i386$ unattend.udf. I have
    > also entered
    > winnt /s:n:\ /u:unattend.txt /udf:abc1,unattend.udf as
    > well as
    > winnt /s:n:\ /u:n:\unattend.txt /udf:abc1,n:\unattend.udf.

    I would use the third one, although I do not think it should matter.

    > In each case we are getting an error that the file
    > n:\unattend.txt is either not accessible or invalid.
    > Here is a copy of the unattend.txt file:

    What does "type n:\unattend.txt" say?

    > [UserData]
    > FullName="Installer"
    > OrgName=Company, Inc.

    I thought comma was a magic character in these files, so I would put
    quotation marks around this OrgName.

    > [Identification]
    > JoinDomain=mydomain
    > DomainAdmin=Administrator
    > DomainAdminPassword=xxxxxx

    Similarly, depending on what characters are in that password, I would
    put quotation marks around it, too.

    > Remember, we are running the winnt command because we are
    > using a DOS based network boot disk.

    You might consider trying my free system at
    <http://unattended.sourceforge.net/>.

    - Pat

    Patrick,

    Made the change to unattend.txt and when I enter "type
    unattend.txt" I see the entire document correctly
    displayed.

    However, now I have another question. When I enter
    either of the three commands from the mapped N:\ drive I
    am now getting a "An Internal Error has occured. Cannot
    find a place for a swap file. Setup will end" error.

    I have the same error when I do this to the system with
    Windows 2000 already installed, when I fdisk and format
    the drive as one partition ( 10.0GB as FAT32 ) and when I
    fdisk and format the drive to have two partitions ( 4GB
    C: FAT32 and 6GB D: FAT32 ). Assuming that I can resolve
    this issue I do not want the drive to be formatted as
    FAT32. I want NTFS. Do I need to add a line in the
    unattend.txt of "FileSystem=ConvertNTFS"?

    Any help is welcome.

    Bonkers in Yonkers

    PS Nice web site. Will have to give it a shot. We
    normally use a bootable CD with the WINNT.SIF file on
    it. No problems there but looking for an alternative way.

    That means winnt.exe was unable to write to the C:\ drive.

    > I have the same error when I do this to the system with
    > Windows 2000 already installed, when I fdisk and format
    > the drive as one partition ( 10.0GB as FAT32 ) and when I
    > fdisk and format the drive to have two partitions ( 4GB
    > C: FAT32 and 6GB D: FAT32 ).

    What version of DOS are you using? 6.x and lower can only handle
    FAT16, not FAT32.

    From DOS, you should be able to:

    C:\
    echo hello > test.txt
    type test.txt

    If not, then winnt.exe will not work, either.

    > Assuming that I can resolve this issue I do not want the drive to be
    > formatted as FAT32. I want NTFS. Do I need to add a line in the
    > unattend.txt of "FileSystem=ConvertNTFS"?

    Yes. That will only apply to the C: drive; you can convert the D:
    drive from within Windows itself using the "convert" command (see
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx).

    Or just create D: as an NTFS partition in the first place, and format
    it from within Windows. That is what I usually do.

    - Pat
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Pat,

    I must admit that I am a bit of a ninny. Part of the
    problem was that I failed to make a partition active.
    That is going to cause a problem each and every time, no
    matter what version of DOS one is using!

    But, you were correct. The Network Boot Disk uses an
    older version of DOS - do not know which version as I can
    not ask him at the moment - so we are stuck with FAT16,
    which means 2.0GB and smaller. Not very interesting.

    It did work, though. It took a bit longer than the
    Bootable CD that we use but it is nice to have another
    method. I do like the ability to place the computer in
    the OU that we desire. I guess that we could do this
    with the CD as well ( winnt.sif ). Really wishing that
    we could use RIS, but not currently an option.

    Thank you for your insight,

    No longer Bonkers in Yonkers

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi !

    You have just to create/format (in one very fast step) a 2GB partition with
    AEFDISK (very usefull and available at www.aefdisk.com) and configure this
    in your unattend.txt file

    [Unattended]
    ExtendOemPartition = 1

    Hugo

    "Bonkers in Yonkers" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    message de news:38d901c48f7a$803c8b10$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    > Pat,
    >
    > I must admit that I am a bit of a ninny. Part of the
    > problem was that I failed to make a partition active.
    > That is going to cause a problem each and every time, no
    > matter what version of DOS one is using!
    >
    > But, you were correct. The Network Boot Disk uses an
    > older version of DOS - do not know which version as I can
    > not ask him at the moment - so we are stuck with FAT16,
    > which means 2.0GB and smaller. Not very interesting.
    >
    > It did work, though. It took a bit longer than the
    > Bootable CD that we use but it is nice to have another
    > method. I do like the ability to place the computer in
    > the OU that we desire. I guess that we could do this
    > with the CD as well ( winnt.sif ). Really wishing that
    > we could use RIS, but not currently an option.
    >
    > Thank you for your insight,
    >
    > No longer Bonkers in Yonkers

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Have an even better solution. I found the Bart's modular
    network boot disk. All issues have been resolved. What
    a nice setup that is.

    But, thank you to the both of you for your support and
    insight.

    Yonkers

Windows