Your question

E4300 and Gigabyte 965P-DS3P rev2.0

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gigabyte
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 14, 2007 1:51:34 AM

Hi all. I'm new here and also new to oc-ing(not new to compters :)  ). I've ran into some problems with a e4300 (even after reading most of the posts here ) and decided to post.
Ok here goes:
I have a e4300 processor with a Gigabyte 965P-DS3P motherboard rev 2.0 latest bios so far F4.

So far I've managed to raise the fsb to 266 and I've ran everything stable.
The problem is when I set the fsb to 300 or 333.
At 300 it works untill I use the restart option in windows. After that the screen stays black as if my video card (radeon x1650 pro - club3d) wasn't starting anymore. I've also got a hardware error in prime95 using this fsb.
At 333 it won't even boot. I have to reset the cmos.
Some things to be mentioned. My ram is a 1gb Geil module with 4-4-4-12.
(it's detected default by motherboard 5-5-5-15 but i've changed it to the correct settings).
My fsb multiplyer it's set to 2.5 (for 266) and with 300 and 333 i've tried with 2.0 (for the ram not to go over it's normal frequency).
Also i've read on the sticky of this forum (about oc-ing dual cores) that on a normal DS3 (not P) motherboard the pci-e should be set to "auto" (I've set it to 100).

So the question is how should I raise my voltages for the system to work properly.
I have these in my bios:
1)DDR2 OverVoltage Control
2)PCI-E OverVoltage Control
3)(G)MCH OverVoltage Control
4)FSB OverVoltage Control
5)CPU OverVolage Control
For now they are set to normal.
Also I have a auto option in bios does that help in any way?(I didn't see any differnce)

Also to mention : The cooler i'm using it's stock and at fsb 266 I get about 38 Degrees Celsius. So how much can the fsb go up using the stock cooler?

More about : e4300 gigabyte 965p ds3p rev2

March 14, 2007 4:04:57 AM

How far do you want to overclock? I mean what processor speed?

Quote:
At 300 it works untill I use the restart option in windows. After that the screen stays black as if my video card (radeon x1650 pro - club3d) wasn't starting anymore.

I also experienced your video problem. It's somehow common in DS3 motherboards. You can solve this either by (1) increasing the PCI-E frequency to a value greater than 100. In my case i increased it to 105.
Or (2) by adding voltages to MCH and FSB. Some people solved this video problem but this didn't solved mine. [/quote]
March 14, 2007 9:37:12 AM

I've tried the 1st solution with the pci-e increase
Indeed now the computer boots but it boots at default speeds (9*200) as if i've changed nothing at all.
The second option doesn't do anything.(I've uped them to up to .15)
Related resources
March 14, 2007 9:58:50 AM

Quote:
I've tried the 1st solution with the pci-e increase
Indeed now the computer boots but it boots at default speeds (9*200) as if i've changed nothing at all.
The second option doesn't do anything.(I've uped them to up to .15)

Ok so that fixed it.

I forgot to tell you, the BIOS resets back to default when your system becomes unstable. So at the time when you were in windows, restarted, then encountered the no video thing, then you restarted again your pc and you were able to see the video... the BIOS at this time is back to default. You need to set again your OC values.

Just remember everytime your system becomes unstable, the BIOS resets back to default.
March 14, 2007 10:21:07 AM

You can try the pin mod. That alone will get you to 2.4.
March 14, 2007 10:41:42 AM

Thanks for your replies.
How should I add stability to my system? By adding voltage?
March 15, 2007 5:18:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your replies.
How should I add stability to my system? By adding voltage?

You don't OC your FSB, add voltage to the processor and RAM, change the RAM timings and then boot in one sitting. You need to take it one at a time. If you do, you should be able to identify what's causing the system instability.

You wanted to boot to FSB 333 right? But can't.
Tell you what, why don't you boot to the default settings, that's everything back to normal. Then follow these steps:

1. Set FSB to 333
2. Set Memory Multiplier to 2.0 (DDR800 the default is 3, set it to 2)
You memory speed will be 667 mhz
3. Set PCI-E Frequency to 105 (You already did this which solved the video problem)
4. Set the memory timings to 5-5-5-16 (BIOS sets it when Auto right even though the rated timing of your memory is 4-4-4-12)
Leave this for now. I believe you encountered the instability because you set this to rated timings. Setting this to 5-5-5-16 provides a headroom for overclocking.
5. Set the System Voltages to Normal. Don't set it to Auto.

Now you're all set. Tell me if the computer boots and the system is stable after torturing it.

If your system is stable at these settings you can then set the RAM timings to 4-4-4-12. Let's see what happens.
March 15, 2007 12:37:03 PM

Hi just tried the 333 fsb with the setttings you gave (cleared cmos 1st then went to 333 fsb directly).
Btw I have a 667 memory with 4-4-4-12.
It doesn't start anymore. It shutdows then it tries to boot but fails, shutdowns again then tries to boot again and enters this cycle and doesn't get out of it unless I reset the bios.
How can this be solved?
March 15, 2007 6:10:40 PM

I have the exact same problem, i can get mine up to 300fsb but then after that it becomes kinda unstable. I think the highest ive gone was 320, nothing more than that though
March 15, 2007 11:54:36 PM

Quote:
Hi just tried the 333 fsb with the setttings you gave (cleared cmos 1st then went to 333 fsb directly).
Btw I have a 667 memory with 4-4-4-12.
It doesn't start anymore. It shutdows then it tries to boot but fails, shutdowns again then tries to boot again and enters this cycle and doesn't get out of it unless I reset the bios.
How can this be solved?

Set your memory timings to 5-5-5-16. You can have the 4-4-4-12 later if all is stable.

Do this only if you still have problems booting with the 5-5-5-16:
1. Add +0.1 to memory voltage, up to +0.2 if you still have boot problems.
2. If you still can't boot, add voltage to the CPU (set to the next voltage after the default).

Actually, adding voltage to the right components will be your last resort if you can't really boot. But i believe your problem in booting is the memory timings 4-4-4-12, it's aggressive.
March 16, 2007 12:28:57 PM

@ronin27 I've tried with 5-5-5-16 in the first test too.
Every time I got my fsb to 333 i've set the memories to 5-5-5-16.
Unfortunately it just doesn't want to boot even with the ram and cpu voltage increase.
I'll try to put the fsb to 300 for now and test untill it works ok, but what should the multipleyer be set to 2/2.5? cause it's either I run the memory at 600 or at 750.
March 16, 2007 1:08:02 PM

Quote:
@ronin27 I've tried with 5-5-5-16 in the first test too.
Every time I got my fsb to 333 i've set the memories to 5-5-5-16.
Unfortunately it just doesn't want to boot even with the ram and cpu voltage increase.
I'll try to put the fsb to 300 for now and test untill it works ok, but what should the multipleyer be set to 2/2.5? cause it's either I run the memory at 600 or at 750.

It's ok to set the memory multiplier to 2.5.
Your OC is 66% with FSB 300. Just let me know if you come up with something higher.
March 17, 2007 8:29:06 AM

At 300 with 105 pci, and 5-5-5-16 it boots but windows will not load. It restarts right after the hardware screen when the windows logo should appear.
Also used default voltages.
March 17, 2007 11:53:50 AM

follow wusys guide it really is that simple, I had a problem with the rev2 board that i couldnt boot at all over 215FSB. The only way i could do it was to up the (G)MCH voltage one notch so follow the guide and once you are at 333 start lowering the cpu voltage once you have a nice low stable voltage lower the FSB + MCH etc.... If you cant boot with these settings perhaps you havent disabled all the functions in 'advanced bios settings' such as EIST Halt, C1E, TM2 etc... It really is easy to OC this board and CPU if you still cant after all the steps RMA the board. On a side note you said you have the latest bios and its F4, I'm afraid you do not have the latest bios as the latest for the rev2 is F9. If you have ram designed for 4 4 4 12 at 400MHz then leave the ram at those timings and set the required voltages the manu will tell you those ignore the flashing red system voltages arent optimal notice its talking bollocks.

Hope This Helps.

Vic.
March 17, 2007 8:52:26 PM

@Viceras thanks for the info.
Btw a link to that guide can you post?(Or are you talking about the sticky?)
Also, I have the latest bios cause my motheboard is 965P-DS3P - the P is important :) .
March 17, 2007 10:13:38 PM

Quote:
At 300 with 105 pci, and 5-5-5-16 it boots but windows will not load. It restarts right after the hardware screen when the windows logo should appear.
Also used default voltages.

Try adding +0.1 to ddr voltage. If it doesn't boot to windows set it to +0.2. I also experienced this thing.

Try to experiment by adding voltage also to CPU a little higher than default.
March 18, 2007 11:17:18 AM

@ronin27 at fsb 300 with pci-e 105, ram 5-5-5-16 (+0.2 / +0.1v), cpu at +0.0625v - 1.3125 and at 13650 windows doesn't boot. Also tested with multiplier of ram of 2.5 and 2.0.
Also disabled all bios functions that weren't needed.
For now I'll stick with fsb 266 and 2.5 multiplier and 4-4-4-12. It seems to be stable and till I get a better video card I see no reason to try to go over this.
I think this happens mainly due to the bios cause the motherboard is fairly new and doesn't have enough bios updates.
In any case thanks all for your help.