XP Service pack 2 and kb826939 RIS problem

Here is the issue. We have a bunch of dells that have either the intel
pro/100 m or the intel pro/1000 Mt adapters. I have already gotten the inf
files from intel, and everything works fine until I use a slipstreamed RIS
image with service pack 2 or a riprep image with kb826939 or service pack 2.
On the splipstreamed image it gets passed the part where it would tell you
that their are no network drivers but then errors with the following message:

"file e1000325.sys caused an unexpected error (21) at line 3788 in
d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c."

On the riprep image it does the same. I believe. I am in the process of
setting up a image with just that service pack on it. Any help would be
appreciated. We need these machines to be deployed with sp2 so they are as
secure as possible from the begining. But any help would be greatly
appreciated.

i had the NIC driver problem and resolved that, and am now getting the same
error you had......did you find an answer ??
I've checked the listed file, and everything else i can think of. Things
were fine until some students tried to slipstream the sp2 package last
friday..LOL

Bob

"JayH" wrote:

> Here is the issue. We have a bunch of dells that have either the intel
> pro/100 m or the intel pro/1000 Mt adapters. I have already gotten the inf
> files from intel, and everything works fine until I use a slipstreamed RIS
> image with service pack 2 or a riprep image with kb826939 or service pack 2.
> On the splipstreamed image it gets passed the part where it would tell you
> that their are no network drivers but then errors with the following message:
>
> "file e1000325.sys caused an unexpected error (21) at line 3788 in
> d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c."
>
> On the riprep image it does the same. I believe. I am in the process of
> setting up a image with just that service pack on it. Any help would be
> appreciated. We need these machines to be deployed with sp2 so they are as
> secure as possible from the begining. But any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

No, I havent fixed the problem yet and Ive been pushed off by dell, intel,
and microsft to try and resolve the problem. No one seems to want to take
the blame for this. Its going to be a big issue once people really start
deploying sp2 and use RIS. I am also in the academic end of things so we
have basically no money to pay microsoft to resolve the problem. So im stuck
between a rock and a hard place. Your best option would be to use SUS to
deploy sp2 and have a base image with almost all of the updates. Sorry I
couldnt help....

Jay

"nopcl" wrote:

> i had the NIC driver problem and resolved that, and am now getting the same
> error you had......did you find an answer ??
> I've checked the listed file, and everything else i can think of. Things
> were fine until some students tried to slipstream the sp2 package last
> friday..LOL
>
> Bob
>
> "JayH" wrote:
>
> > Here is the issue. We have a bunch of dells that have either the intel
> > pro/100 m or the intel pro/1000 Mt adapters. I have already gotten the inf
> > files from intel, and everything works fine until I use a slipstreamed RIS
> > image with service pack 2 or a riprep image with kb826939 or service pack 2.
> > On the splipstreamed image it gets passed the part where it would tell you
> > that their are no network drivers but then errors with the following message:
> >
> > "file e1000325.sys caused an unexpected error (21) at line 3788 in
> > d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c."
> >
> > On the riprep image it does the same. I believe. I am in the process of
> > setting up a image with just that service pack on it. Any help would be
> > appreciated. We need these machines to be deployed with sp2 so they are as
> > secure as possible from the begining. But any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.

Craig

Hey Jay,

Can you confirm that the file version of e1000325.sys is the exact same in
the CD-based image and the Riprep.

Also you need to confirm that the associated NIC drivers are present in
both images. Following that action, restart the BINL service.

See also KB246184 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246184/EN-US ) and
follow those steps.

I hope that helps.

*
My name is Craig & I'm from the Microsoft Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

See the Windows NT Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.
**

Did that and it still gets the same error, but if I did have seperate drivers
it would get the error message of not being able to find the network card in
the text based setup thru RIS. I used a flat file image of nothing but xp
and sp2 slipstreamed into it, drop the inf file ino the i386 folder, and
setup the Oem$ (and edit ristndrd.sif) path with the drivers from dell and
replace the e1000325.sys file and its still a no go. Dell has recognized it
is a problem they are working on but has no eta when the issue will be fixed,
intel says that its dell or microsofts problem because these are lan on
motherboard nics, and microsoft says i need to call their fee based number
and wont help me thru the free email based support. So basically im stuck
with 500+ classroom machines that could really use the features in sp2 but
have to install it in a round-about way. Any help would be appreciated. RIS
work great except for the network card issues, it copmletely beats any ghost
product that I have used in the past. Do you happen to know when microsft is
going to release the next update for ris? Any help would be appreciated. We
are using dell optiplex gx270 if thats any help. Thank in advance. The
incident number for microsoft is SRZ040831002415.

Jay

"Craig" wrote:

> Hey Jay,
>
> Can you confirm that the file version of e1000325.sys is the exact same in
> the CD-based image and the Riprep.
>
> Also you need to confirm that the associated NIC drivers are present in
> both images. Following that action, restart the BINL service.
>
> See also KB246184 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246184/EN-US ) and
> follow those steps.
>
> I hope that helps.

> *
> My name is Craig & I'm from the Microsoft Setup Team
>
> Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
>
> See the Windows NT Homepage at
> http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/
>
> NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
> others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
> more timely response. Thank you!
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
> implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
> merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
>
> The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
> not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
> Microsoft.
> **

Well I finally fixed the problem. I ended up rebuilding the RIS server,
slipstreaming sp2, running risetup, replacing the intel .inf files in the
i386 dir, setup the oem plug and play path, deleting any .pnf files,
restarting both binl and tftp, and now im able to deploy xp with sp2. Now im
going to try and see if a riprep image works and if it does I am good to go.
Hope this helps.

Jay