Multiple RIS Servers

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

We have Workstations from 2 Domains sharing single Vlans. This causes a
problem when attempting to RIS build as each Domain has there own RIS server
but at the build stage the DCHP server can not tell the workstations apart
therfore send all build to the first RIS server (via IP Helper Adress).

Does anyone know if there is a way to add the IP Helper address for the RIS
server onto the RIS Boot Floppy.

...yes i know there are better ways of doing this - Multiple VLans etc..
However can't go down that track at the moment.

You can prestage the computer accounts in AD and then configure which
risserver each computer should use.

It is also possible to script this using ADSI if you have many
machines.

Another way is to use a third party ris boot floppy. PXE on Disk from
Argorn Technology will allow you to specify the ipadress of the
risserver.

Reference:

How To Prestage a RIS Client Computer Using ADSI
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302467

PXE on Disk - Argorn Technology
http://www.argontechnology.com/products.aspx?id=22

regards