is it sysprep or is it me?

I'm starting to wonder....
Maybe I am trying to get Sysprep 1.1 to do something that it is not
designed to do. I posted about this a few days ago, but got no
response from anyone.

Will someone please tell me, when does sysprep copy things from the
$OEM$ directory in a distribution share into the target computer?

I suspect it might be when one first runs sysprep, prior to creating
an image to clone to other systems. If so, then I have indeed been
trying to get it to do something it is not designed to do.

--
Dennis C.

Hello Dennis,

Sysprep copies and performs tasks listed in the $OEM$ folder during the
setup of the destination systems. Sysprep must be run with a corresponding
answer file of course. Once sysprep is run on the master system and a
corresponding answer is created, the image should be copied to the
destination systems and then the commands are executed during the
mini-setup.

I hoped this information helped you and good luck.
***
Richard Lyda
Server Setup Team

Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me.
This allows others to add to and benefit from these threads
and also helps to ensure a more timely response.
This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either
expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the
implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a
particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting
are mine and do not necessarily express or reflect the views
and/or opinions of Microsoft.

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:47:38 GMT, a-rlyda@microsoft.com (richard lyda)
wrote:

>Hello Dennis,
>
>Sysprep copies and performs tasks listed in the $OEM$ folder during the
>setup of the destination systems. Sysprep must be run with a corresponding
>answer file of course. Once sysprep is run on the master system and a
>corresponding answer is created, the image should be copied to the
>destination systems and then the commands are executed during the
>mini-setup.
>
>I hoped this information helped you and good luck.

Thank you for your reply.

In my posting of....
From: Dennis Calhoun <dcalhoun@blomand.net>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
Subject: $OEM$ structure copying fails completely when cloning with
Ghost and Sysprep1.1
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:41:54 -0500

..... and more in that thread, you can find more info about what I've
been trying to do. No matter *what* I try I cannot get anything that I
put in the $OEM$ folder, local or networked, to be copied to the
target computer after the image is made, copied to it and the system
booted up.

I mentioned in another post of mine that I have come to believe the
$OEM$ structure is intended to function only during an "unattended
installation" and someone else seemed to agree with that thinking. Is
that the truth of it?

Sincere thanks,
Dennis C.