my computer is power cycling itself after boot up.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 1, 2004 4:15:31 AM

Need help fast!!!

After leaving my computer on for several days, my windows
2000 desktop fails to start up. At the boot up sequence
and after the indicator bar at windows has finished
preping for initialization, my PC power-cycles itself down
and re-starts the whole process again, again,.... its not
allowing me to log in. Can anyone help with this problem?

Your help and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Matt
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 7:35:44 PM

Have you tired last know good or safe mode?
*
William Effinger
Microsoft Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.
**
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 4:45:49 AM

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:35:44 GMT, a-weffin@microsoft.com (William
Effinger) wrote:

>Have you tired last know good or safe mode?
[snip]

For some reason, the original message of this thread never showed up
on the news server that I access.

FWIW, I've had experience with such events myself. I found that the
reason for it was that ACPI had been turned off in the BIOS/CMOS
Setup. It was ON when the OS was installed and when I set it to be on
again, the system booted up just fine.
--
No idea is so strong that it should not be tested by doubt.
And no man is so wise that he is infallible.

Dennis C.
!