my computer is power cycling itself after boot up.

Need help fast!!!

After leaving my computer on for several days, my windows
2000 desktop fails to start up. At the boot up sequence
and after the indicator bar at windows has finished
preping for initialization, my PC power-cycles itself down
and re-starts the whole process again, again,.... its not
allowing me to log in. Can anyone help with this problem?

Your help and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Matt
2 answers Last reply
More about computer power cycling boot

    Have you tired last know good or safe mode?
    *
    William Effinger
    Microsoft Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    **

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:35:44 GMT, a-weffin@microsoft.com (William
    Effinger) wrote:

    >Have you tired last know good or safe mode?
    [snip]

    For some reason, the original message of this thread never showed up
    on the news server that I access.

    FWIW, I've had experience with such events myself. I found that the
    reason for it was that ACPI had been turned off in the BIOS/CMOS
    Setup. It was ON when the OS was installed and when I set it to be on
    again, the system booted up just fine.
    --
    No idea is so strong that it should not be tested by doubt.
    And no man is so wise that he is infallible.

    Dennis C.

Computers Boot Power Windows