Sign in with
Your question

ATTN:DragonSprayer Need Help on Patriot DDR-1400 2GB @ $165

Last response: in Memory
March 14, 2007 2:54:11 AM

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . It's only 165 after rebate good until 3/14. I REALLY want to get this ram because I saw the latest review and it was by DragonSprayer. It said that you (I'm assuming it's you) hit DDR1400 and DDR1250 at 4-4-4-12 timing at LESS than 2.1V. HOW? Man if you did that, I'm about to buy a few sets myself.

IF you can get me a screen shot of the settings and board you used, it would help me overclock this beast.

Here is the review, I hope it's you.

March 14, 2007 3:15:20 AM

dragonsprayer 8O :lol:  :lol: 

dragonsprayer=ELSTUPIDO!
March 14, 2007 3:46:13 AM

Why didn't you just PM him? Doing a post for a specific person is a waste of space and just makes you look stupid, PM's work fine and your more likely to get a response.
Related resources
March 14, 2007 3:50:27 AM

Quote:
Why didn't you just PM him? Doing a post for a specific person is a waste of space and just makes you look stupid, PM's work fine and your more likely to get a response.

well I thought this way, everyone else can see and order the ram if they are looking for some nice, cheap RAM. Just trying to spread a good deal.
March 14, 2007 4:00:21 AM

Mmk fair enough, might pay to mention that sorta thing next time or everyone will thing your just retarded like I did :p 

I can't find the modules your referring to under that link either btw.
March 14, 2007 4:37:01 AM

Dragonsprayer, [whistles as to a dog] come here boy. Who is dragonsprayer?
March 14, 2007 5:02:19 AM

Quote:

I've seen him post here daily. He builds computers, has a company called warped systems or something like that. So I guess he knows what he's doing.
March 14, 2007 5:12:47 AM

Quote:

I've seen him post here daily. He builds computers, has a company called warped systems or something like that. So I guess he knows what he's doing.Really bad assumption. Not necessarily a reflection on DragonSprayer, just saying that you should never assume that someone knows what they are doing just because they own a company or do it a lot. I've known a lot of clueless PC shop owners.

For example, I had one tell me: "You should have bought an Intel, the case you want isn't compatible with AMD." I bought it anyway (that was the ONLY place that had it locally), and never went back.
March 14, 2007 6:16:18 AM

Quote:

I've seen him post here daily. He builds computers, has a company called warped systems or something like that. So I guess he knows what he's doing.Really bad assumption. Not necessarily a reflection on DragonSprayer, just saying that you should never assume that someone knows what they are doing just because they own a company or do it a lot. I've known a lot of clueless PC shop owners.

For example, I had one tell me: "You should have bought an Intel, the case you want isn't compatible with AMD." I bought it anyway (that was the ONLY place that had it locally), and never went back.

I am pretty sure n19htmare was being sarcastic, 100% sure.
March 14, 2007 6:21:26 AM

I was also thinking about getting this exact ram, but you get mixed reviews.

Dragonsprayer has the latest review and is talking about getting speeds of 1350+ w/ 4-4-4-12, which is just amazing, and not many memory modules can do that.

I am waiting on some firestix d9 chips, which will do what i need them to do and more.

If you look at xtremesystems, it seems that there is thread titled 700 club or something, has an updated chart with memory listings and what voltage/settings people are using to get their memory to run at 700+ (1400+) and most people are doing almost 3v with 5-5-5-15 just to get those speeds, i would also like to see screenshots of how dragonsprayer was able to reach those speeds with that patriot extreme memory.

the following review

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/02/21/overclocking-9...

shows the patriot extreme doing 600+ but no where near 700 at even 2.4 volts and 5-5-5, and that patriot has the d9 chips, which i don't believe dragonsprayer would have received in the latest batch since it has been confirmed that patriot is using different ic's.
March 14, 2007 6:29:12 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I can see that now. Its still good advice though.
March 14, 2007 6:38:00 AM

Quote:

I agree with you completely. There are always people that think they know what they are doing just because they are involved with something, but usually the opposite is true. Car audio places think they know everything, when they barely know anything, computer stores think they know everything but they don't, etc etc. People are just full of themselves and act like they know stuff, but then when they tell the same things to someone that knows more than they really do, they just sound retarded.

I have had many experiences like that. usually you gain more info through forums and gain knowledge pretty quickly that you know more than most people that have jobs dealing with what you just spent some time researching. I have found most forums to be filled with great information from people that have gone through tests and real world experiences than people that just know what is fed to them through marketing and other bs sources.
March 14, 2007 11:47:46 AM

Quote:

:lol:  I love it :lol: 
March 14, 2007 12:59:44 PM

Quote:

I agree with you completely. There are always people that think they know what they are doing just because they are involved with something, but usually the opposite is true. Car audio places think they know everything, when they barely know anything, computer stores think they know everything but they don't, etc etc. People are just full of themselves and act like they know stuff, but then when they tell the same things to someone that knows more than they really do, they just sound retarded.

I have had many experiences like that. usually you gain more info through forums and gain knowledge pretty quickly that you know more than most people that have jobs dealing with what you just spent some time researching. I have found most forums to be filled with great information from people that have gone through tests and real world experiences than people that just know what is fed to them through marketing and other bs sources.

How true. As an example I have a brother-in-law working as a networking manager in Georgia. When we first met I used to try to "talk shop" with him, after about 6 months of him basically nodding and listening when we spoke on the subject of IT in general he confessed he seldom had a clue what I was talking about. Hmm he makes mad fat money down there and although I like my job and work in IT here in NC, I have a hard time getting a "well-paid" job in the market here. Maybe I should move, if he can hold a job for 10 yrs making 4x what I do and doesn't know squat, lol I should definitely be able to excel somewhere after many years of "real" experience on him eh? lol Oh well I digress, but just goes to show people you'd think would know what they're doing often times don't.
March 14, 2007 5:18:20 PM

Quote:
dude, that is the biggest bs I have seen dragonspayer do yet, I will go talk to him about it. I will tell your right now don't get that memory, as you will be very disappointed that you won't get it much above 1000mhz. If you want, I can point you towards some top notch memory, but even then you won't hit 1350mhz on stock voltage, I managed to squeeze out 1164mhz out of some super talent that had micron IC at the time, but that right there is a respectable overclcok at 1164mhz, you won't get to 1200mhz unless you start looking into higher grade 1066 or 1000 memory, and I don't mean the cheap stuff, corsair's dominator looks appealing to me, and I am pretty sure those can hit 1200+ since they are handpicked, all of crucial's memory have micron chips, but their 1000mhz versions have their best, and G.Skill has some nice ddr2-1000 chips (I know it sounds weird, but their 5-5-5-15 chips are better than their 4-4-4-5 chips, for reasons I will explain later). I'm going to have to talk to about dragonsprayer about that, that is pushing it too far

I was definitely interested in the ram when i read the review that i posted in my last post above. Then i kept reading and found out that those memory modules don't have the d9 ic's so right then i said screw that, i don't want to pick those up since i know that review only did so well since they had the micron d9's. Out of nowhere, i read dragonsprayer's post, and i am thinking to myself, this guy has to be full of bs, no way he even hit close to those numbers when others are complaining that they can barely hit 900 or whatever with it. You even have others saying that those don't use the micron chips and aren't clocking that great.

Are you acquainted with dragonsprayer? If so, you should tell him to get some screenshots, i would love to see the speeds he hit with that memory and at what settings, that is if he can even get the computer to boot.
March 15, 2007 4:57:59 AM

Quote:

:lol:  I love it :lol: 
If I cant make anyone else laugh, I know I can always count on you 8) .
March 15, 2007 7:44:29 PM

Let me tell you now, this ain't the best idea in the world. A lot of posters piss me off, and some I get into "wars" with, but even I've never taken it this far, and that's with the ridiculous amount of leeway the mods afford...
March 16, 2007 3:27:11 AM

Yea the mods really need to step in and cut alot of the garbage out of the forumz.
March 18, 2007 12:23:12 AM

I dont even know how many there are, its just not one of those things I care to find out when I join. :p 
March 18, 2007 1:10:17 AM

They could do with another 2, but still... do they just sit down and drink coffee all day?
March 18, 2007 1:27:15 AM

Fredi is the webmaster, webdog is admin, Jake and RC are global moderators, and Riser is a mod for the software forum. And yes, they are still around, but the best way to get them into action is through the report button, since they don't really do active moderation (causes too much problems).
March 18, 2007 1:41:55 AM

I think its good as it is. Take a look at AMDZone or Rubysystems where the mods change your post without you asking, delete your posts, jump in and insult you. That's active moderation gone bad. Not saying that such could ever happen here since Jake, RC and Riser are good guys and don't get down like that, but I don't want something that could develop into that if something goes wrong.
March 18, 2007 2:25:29 AM

Im happy with the quality of this forum.

I think I once went to dragonsprayer's pc building site. The one system offered uses a 2ghz Core Duo OC'ed to 2.8. I wonder what mobo he uses...
March 19, 2007 5:46:14 AM

The thing that sucks about the review on newegg is that some people are thinking they will get d9 modules when they order that set. Problem comes into play when they don't get it because they read someone else's review which contains results they probably never achieved. I think it may be a toss up if you will get d9's or not, but even if you do, you won't achieve the results of that review.

I don't know if it is this dragonsprayer, but my initial posts were just pointing out that the review is bs, and whoever did it is full of bs.

On a side note, i currently have my e6300 at 3.626 running orthos for 3 hours so far, hopefully it makes it to at least 10 hours.

It did do 3.5 ghz stable at almost 11 hours before i stopped it.

EDIT: Couldn't get 3.626 stable, so i dropped the fsb to 515 and currently 3.605 stable at 10+ hours of orthos.
May 22, 2007 5:06:58 AM

lol

the referenced,title, was in responce of the pb5-e mobo - questions

you can set the fsb and the memory to 1400fsb - ram is double - on that mobo the mobo calculates the ration.

assu bios pn5-e 401-402 pre 2/2007 goto:
advanced
jumperfree goto:

set - overclocking - choose manual
goto:
frequency
choose unlinked
set cpu and memory fsb

cpu fsb 1400

memory fsb 700 or 1400 the mobo autonaically sets 700
memory fsb 400-3300

:evil:  :evil:  sorry :twisted: :twisted:

good ram runs 3-3-3-8 (ddr2) ------------ 750 give or take 50 - 2.1v-2.15v :idea: :idea:

or 3-4-3-10 at 800+ ???
May 22, 2007 5:16:29 AM

For God's sake.. its old as hell.
May 22, 2007 5:59:11 AM

took you long enough to respond.... sheesh
May 22, 2007 6:33:56 AM

If he takes a month to respond to a thread I wonder how long it will take him to build and send you out a PC??!??!!!??

Note to Jon and Jane Doe, don't buy machines from DragonSprayer :p 
May 22, 2007 1:07:00 PM

A day for a year...
!