Swapping servers - What's the easiest way?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 3, 2004 12:03:45 PM

I have just rebuilt a Windows 2000 server that will replace a temp
server with it. The temp server is running Active Directory and hosts
the roaming profiles and is the DNS server on the LAN.

When I bring the new[er] server back into service I want to
know...what is the easiest way to make sure all the AD settings
transfer, all the user profiles, security settings, etc move with it.
Do I have to disconnect and reconnect all the workstations, too? Or is
there an easier way (i.e. should I just use NTBackup or something?)

Any tips and tricks are welcomed. I'd rather not make this an entire
weekend event ;)

-Fran-
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 1:29:08 AM

Should be straightforward if I am reading your question correctly :)

DCpromo the new server into your current AD domain, then use AD Sites and
Services to force replication between the domain controllers. Leave it a
day or 2 then DCPromo the old server out of your domain.

The machines will still be in the domain but watch out for server names that
may be used in AD. you may need to use something like LDIFDE to change the
names.

Regards

Mark

<Fran> wrote in message news:8lrgj05q6h8b8eao88bqjgtt6qvo8llbi6@4ax.com...
>I have just rebuilt a Windows 2000 server that will replace a temp
> server with it. The temp server is running Active Directory and hosts
> the roaming profiles and is the DNS server on the LAN.
>
> When I bring the new[er] server back into service I want to
> know...what is the easiest way to make sure all the AD settings
> transfer, all the user profiles, security settings, etc move with it.
> Do I have to disconnect and reconnect all the workstations, too? Or is
> there an easier way (i.e. should I just use NTBackup or something?)
>
> Any tips and tricks are welcomed. I'd rather not make this an entire
> weekend event ;)
>
> -Fran-
September 8, 2004 2:01:44 AM

It seems TOO simple! I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for the
help, Mark!

-Fran-

news:o $g4RlRlEHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!