Windows 2000 start up stopped completing

steveh

Recently bought laptop P3-850 from a second-hand vendor
(Computer Renaissance) store with Windows 2000 Pro
installed. Had finished setting up system and connected
to my home network. Have run fine for over a week.
Booted this morning and system never transitioned past
the Windows 2000 logo screen with white background. Task
bar at bottom of screen still cycles but nothing more
happens. Attempted this several times with same outcome.

Because this was a second hand computer, do not have the
original Windows 2000 setup disk. Only have support disk
that the store vendor gave me to restore their original
settings. I have enough setup data on the system this
would be a hassle. Also, I would not like waiting till
after Labor day to fix.

Any Ideas?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

You could try unplugging from your network. If that doesn't boot, try
booting into safe mode by pressing 'F8' at the B/W progress bar screen just
before the screen you mention. You should be able to backup any data to disk
(or over the network if you plug it back in & use 'safe mode with
networking').