Sign in with
Your question

Prime95 BSOD after 2 hours: OCZ4002048PFDC-K?

Last response: in Memory
March 14, 2007 3:55:50 AM

Just updated the RAM to 2GB kit (OCZ4002048PFDC-K) in my budget desktop (in sig), and now a Prime95 run results in a BSOD after about 2 hours. I ran memtest86 to about the 25% mark with 0 errors, then wife bugged me to use the computer, so I stopped it. Previously I had 2x512 Corsair CMX-512C2Pro without any apparent instability.
I have another desktop that's almost identical, except for an Antec 380W PS, X800Pro GPU (instead of 7600GS in sig) and a 2GB Kingston HyperX kit (KHX3200AK2/2G). This machine does not show any instability when running Prime95 for a good long stretch, like 10 or 12 hours.
Given the above, would you return the OCZ kit and go with HyperX or revert back to Corsair? Aside from the Prime95 issue, things seem okay, but that kind of lurking instability kind of drives me nuts. Both machines are running XP Pro.
Thoughts/input much appreciated.
March 14, 2007 8:17:39 PM

Sounds like bad RAM to me, assuming you are running it at the manufacturer's spec conditions. However, a couple of things to consider:
1) It's only the V2 (not V1.0a or V1.0) of your MB that officially supports Core2Duo CPUs.
2) Ultra's V-series power supplies are extremely low quality.
March 14, 2007 10:14:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, Mondoman. All good points. I didn't know about V1.0a not officially supporting Core2Duo. I just bought the combo (x2) really cheap from Fry's and it always seemed to work okay. (Figured I'd never call ECS anyway, and Fry's has a pretty good return policy.)

One interesting development is that I put the OCZ RAM in the other desktop I mentioned, with the Antec PS, and the BSOD came after about 7 minutes of Prime95. Much worse than the machine in my sig, despite a better quality but lower rated PS.

So I went ahead and returned the OCZ. It might be fine in another setup, but the Corsair CMX C2Pro sticks and the Kingston HyperX both work in both computers, so I just ordered another HyperX kit, which is actually a little cheaper than the OCZ right now, if bought from Fry's.
!