Norton ghost cloning?

Can I do a the following using Norton Ghost 2003.
Back up the PC to another hard disk so that I've got the entire disk cloned
onto the second hard drive. Then burn a copy of this image from the cloned
drive onto a CD or DVD and use the CD or DVD as a means of restoring image
onto other computers? Or must I used the wizard contained within Norton
ghost and burn the image directly onto the removable media? I am asking
this because I would like to have a backup of the image on a hard disk as
well as on the CDs in case the CDs get lost or become damaged.

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:16:50 +0700, "-keevill-" <keevilluss@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Can I do a the following using Norton Ghost 2003.
>Back up the PC to another hard disk so that I've got the entire disk cloned
>onto the second hard drive. Then burn a copy of this image from the cloned
>drive onto a CD or DVD and use the CD or DVD as a means of restoring image
>onto other computers? Or must I used the wizard contained within Norton
>ghost and burn the image directly onto the removable media? I am asking
>this because I would like to have a backup of the image on a hard disk as
>well as on the CDs in case the CDs get lost or become damaged.

So long as the image that you create would fit on a single DVD ( I
doubt that one would fit on a single CD), it should be possible to do
that, but that is not something I have ever actually done myself.

Another option would be to use the wizard to first burn the image to a
set of CDs or DVD/s, then make ISO images of the disks and save that
on a HDD.

Most of what I've been doing with Ghost 2003 has been networked,
peer-to-peer, and stored on two separate HDDs (the second one mirrors
the first, for backup), no CDs or DVDs involved.

Dennis C.

"Dennis Calhoun" <dcalhoun@blomand.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:16:50 +0700, "-keevill-" <keevilluss@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Can I do a the following using Norton Ghost 2003.
> >Back up the PC to another hard disk so that I've got the entire disk
cloned
> >onto the second hard drive. Then burn a copy of this image from the
cloned
> >drive onto a CD or DVD and use the CD or DVD as a means of restoring
image
> >onto other computers? Or must I used the wizard contained within Norton
> >ghost and burn the image directly onto the removable media? I am asking
> >this because I would like to have a backup of the image on a hard disk as
> >well as on the CDs in case the CDs get lost or become damaged.
> >
> So long as the image that you create would fit on a single DVD ( I
> doubt that one would fit on a single CD), it should be possible to do
> that, but that is not something I have ever actually done myself.
>
> Another option would be to use the wizard to first burn the image to a
> set of CDs or DVD/s, then make ISO images of the disks and save that
> on a HDD.
>
> Most of what I've been doing with Ghost 2003 has been networked,
> peer-to-peer, and stored on two separate HDDs (the second one mirrors
> the first, for backup), no CDs or DVDs involved.
>
> Dennis C.

Actually, I have had very little success using Norton ghost to burn directly
either onto DVDs or CDs. My experience with CDs went as following. The
wizard completed the task taking approximately five disks but when I attempt
to restore from these disks after about disk 2, I get a rejection of the
third CD saying that this CD has not been made by Norton ghost. Attempting
again, the wizard failed to even complete the burning of the image after
about four disks.

Attempting to burn directly onto a DVD, the process failed after about two
to three minutes when writing onto the DVD. There any successful
experiences from people out there or is this typical of attempting to burn
rather sizeable image files across a succession of CDs?